Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Boyz head porting?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:05 PM
mike06train
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big Boyz head porting?

Looking to see if any one has used these guys and if they were happy with the work.
Putting on my 95" kit after sitting on it for 2 years. I decided to do the haeds at the same time. I was set to have a guy in Bristol,PA do the heads but Big Boyz wants $380 for a port job and comp. releases installed.It's so cheap I'm worried.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Never used but heard good things. Post in the engine forum. BB come up from time to time over there.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:53 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

They did the heads on some of our shop bikes. Great work, great prices, great service.

Drew

Old 09-06-2011, 10:15 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does that price include new/ larger valves, guides, etc, or is it only a "clean-up?" Does it include cc'ing the heads to be sure they're the same? Does it include decking the heads for desired compression for the cams that YOU'VE selected? These things all add up, so if none of them are included, your $380 head work just went up......

EDIT....
I just checked their site, and it'll run you another $95 to have heads cc'd and decked to achieve desired compression. Big Boyz has a good following, and I'm sure they do good work, but from what I've seen on their site, you get a pretty basic port job. That's still not bad, and it may get the job done, but I'd spend a little more $$$ and go with someone like WFO Larry (www.larrysmotorcyclemachine.com), Steve at GMR Performance (www.gmrperformance.com), etc.

Last edited by beaureed445; 09-06-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:36 AM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

I had Hillside do some work on my heads when I did my 95" build. In all the reading I did on here though to learn about these builds, I never read 1 bad word about BigBoyz or Bean, the guy that owns the business. They offer the best bang for your buck.If you call Bean, be prepared for a 1/2 hour lesson on head work, he's a good guy as is Scott up at Hillside.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:20 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

we`ve had a couple sets in the shop.simple clean ups,no real porting going on there

Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 AM
mike06train
Road Captain

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm not going to need a head with huge valves or too much flo work. My cams are not that big (andrews 50's) and I'm not racing this thing. Just having fun on the street. One of my worries is that I'll send these heads to someone and I'll loose velocity in the heads due to oversize ports and valves.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:09 AM
shineybike
Road Captain

I had a set of 2010 heads ported by BB, including cc'ing and milling for my 95" with andrews 26 cams. He did not do anything with the valves. Bean did the installation of the heads and tuned my stock ecm. I had a PC III before which we removed. The bike runs great, much smoother shifting and less engine noise. Bean is great to deal with. If you read some of the tech info on his website he talks about velocity vs just higher flow. Interesting stuff. I'm happy with what was done to my bike. The dyno numbers he came up with were lower than what I got before the head work but the previous dyno was done at another shop on a different brand of dyno machine. I'd suggest calling and talking to him.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:22 AM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine were done by bbt,thats a great price,mine were around $500 with shipping.only problem i have had was the rear comp, sticking,a spray of carb cleaner fixed that.i have put around 4000 miles on them so far

Old 09-07-2011, 09:49 AM
NorCalFBLO
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RICHIEMACK
mine were done by bbt,thats a great price,mine were around $500 with shipping.only problem i have had was the rear comp, sticking,a spray of carb cleaner fixed that.i have put around 4000 miles on them so far
when compression release's get sticky they should be removed, the carbon cleaned off with a wire brush and then cycle with penetrating oil. Simple to do, takes only a few minutes and makes a world of difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big Boyz head porting?