Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best & Brightest Headlight bulb ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My cousin has the HID light on his bike. Awesome lighting for him! Seems like a train is coming up behind you if he's in the back of the crowd. NOTE - we live in Taxachusetts and he does get stopped once in a while/no tickets yet...they seem to be confused by the technology... Ride safe.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:07 PM
05KrazyTrain
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee&Vee
What about the high beam? Do u get that with HID?
well it depends what kit you have, most do not have a high beam, so when you hit the switch for it your headlight just turns off.
the kit i have has an additional bulb (at most its nothing more than a foglight bulb) on it that comes on and your hid turns off, doesnt really serve a purpose because the low beam (hid) is brighter. and that my switch still functions.
the third kind that i know of the bulb actually moves out farther when you hit the switch so i guess this is the type that is an actual hi/lo set up
i guess if i had to pick which to get out of the three would be the kit i have, because if the bulb goes out while riding theres the back up in there to get ya home. also when ordering from ebay it doesnt matter which kit you buy as long as you specify the bulb type and color because all of the kits are basically the same except bulb size (all the bulbs have the same connections to the ballest),so look for a kit for a car with the slim ballests that whay you have 2 ballests, 2 sets of wires and 2 bulbs. always nice to have a back up ready so you dont have to wait on shipping when you order a new bulb. and when i have to use my back up i will order a new one right away so i have an extra bulb again.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:05 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jbg
Suck it up and get the LED headlamp. You won't regret it. WAY more light and it covers WAY more space on the road around your bike. If you're gonna keep replacing regular bulbs ...you may as well just get this one and be done with it.
5 bills for a headlight??? Dude, how do you justify that??? I bought a set of high-performance cams w/pushrods for the same price and re-did my entire tail light set-up, including signals, with aftermarket LEDs for under $150.

I've seen HID conversion set-ups and I thought THEY were expensive until I saw that LED headlight that HD sells. A good bright bulb is plenty adequate and if you want to indulge, get an HID conversion kit. That LED headlamp is just ridiculous, unless it's got a built-in GPS!

Old 09-08-2011, 02:21 AM
stiklr
Novice

For the HID kit, where did you put the ballast? I have a Xbones and a ballast, even a slim one will never fit into the headlight housing.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:59 AM
FatBoyVeteran
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stiklr
For the HID kit, where did you put the ballast? I have a Xbones and a ballast, even a slim one will never fit into the headlight housing.
Not sure bout the Bones, but the ballast and hi/low relay all fit into the can behind the headlight.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:06 AM
ejohnson1
Cruiser

I like the silverstars. They give off a "whiter" and brighter light than a stock bulb. I have not had a problem with them burning out any faster than any other bulb would either. I bought the 2 pack so I already have the extra one when it does.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:11 AM
watchluvr4ever
Road Captain

In another thread some people were talking about this H4 bulb, supposed to be real bright!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000TK...3845961&sr=8-2

Old 09-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

My $.02 is: I have the HD LED and couldn't be happier. Costly? Yes, but I was going through bulbs to fast. I wanted the high and low beam option and didn't want to mess with a ballast at all. So, different strokes.....

Old 09-08-2011, 10:59 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are on a FatBoy with 7" then you have the Kuryakyn Option for LED which is a lot cheaper than the MOCO.
LED is plug and play, but HID requires a 'ballast' which again for a FatBoy you can hide somewhere, but for Bones,and FX bikes it is hard to find a spot for the ballast, I have not seen anyone hiding one successfully yet .
Quality of light, the HID is better at Daytime, and no real difference at night.
They both draw less amperage, which helps when you connect heated gear and other accessories.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Vibration Train
Advanced

LED sounds great, but not at that price.

Quick Reply: Best & Brightest Headlight bulb ?