Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Harley Owner - what are these drain plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 PM
raisinbrann
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Harley Owner - what are these drain plugs?

Hello,

This is my first post, and I'm the proud new owner of a 2007 Softail Custom (FXSTC) with just 1,200 miles.

Knowing virtually nothing about Harley's I decided to perform a few fluid changes to the bike since none have been done since the bike was new.. yep not since 2007.

I have the maintenance manual however I've found it lacking in the visual depictions of where certain items are located, in my case drain plugs.

I changed the oil without a problem, then proceeded to change the transmission fluid. However I had a problem locating the transmission drain plug which I finally discovered is located between the two shock absorbers.

Unfortunately, I removed a plug under the engine crankcase and some, what appears to be oil, drained out. I'm do not know the function of the plug, nor was it mentioned in the maintenance manual. I'd appreciate if some of the more experienced Harley owners can help me identify this plug and its purpose. Please see photos.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails New Harley Owner - what are these drain plugs?-unknown-plug-1.jpg   New Harley Owner - what are these drain plugs?-trans-plug-1.jpg  
Old 11-02-2011, 09:20 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

The plug under the crankcase should not be removed. It is the crank case plug & is tapered so use some pipe thread sealant on it & put it back but just snug it in & don't overtighten. It is just excess oil in the crank case & it's never drained.

Last edited by golfblues; 11-02-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:29 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I will be the first to say it...get a manual

Old 11-02-2011, 09:37 PM
raisinbrann
6th Gear

Originally Posted by golfblues
The plug under the crankcase should not be removed. It is the crank case plug & is tapered so use some pipe thread sealant on it & put it back but just snug it in & don't overtighten. It is just excess oil in the crank case & it's never drained.
Thanks - that's the answer I was looking for... sure wish these plugs were discussed and described in the maintenance manual. :-\

I'll do as you recommend, pipe sealant and snug it back in place. I figure I lost less than an ounce of oil by removing this plug.

Funny you should mention, "don't over-tighten", because it took a few taps from a hammer on the end of the allen wrench to remove the plug.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:39 PM
raisinbrann
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
I have the service-maintenance manual! These plugs were not addressed in the manual, er I couldn't find em'...

Old 11-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
I bought the manual. The directions could be a lot better. They don't have enough picures or diagrams. I can understand how people remove the wrong plugs.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:20 PM
raisinbrann
6th Gear
Smile

Yes, the maintenance manual has much to be desired... thanks to this board... especially for newbies!

Old 11-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

I'll check (it's buried in service manual) but I think its to check in the rare instance that the scavange side of the old pump is not working correctly since it's not plumbed to any type of pressure sender. You will need to top off oil level slightly more then the standard refill. You probably need to use a sealant on it to reseal correctly.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:40 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,478 Likes on 2,478 Posts

NEVER REMOVE THAT PLUG!! It has a tapered fitting, and if you overtighten it even slightly,you could strip out or crack the boss in the motor case. That plug is for performing certain test functions, and it is also used, I believe, during manufacture to machine an oil gallery that can't be accessed except through the motor case. In any event--FORGET IT EVEN EXISTS!
IMHO, the manual is NOT intended for newbies. It is intended for people who have at least a working knowledge of the mechanics of their Harleys. By all means, buy the manual, but before you do anything, discuss it with the service manager or a tech at your dealership. Ask lots of questions. Don't worry;these people LOVE talkin' about bikes & showing off their knowledge.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:40 AM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everybody goes on about "The Manual" but in all honesty, I find it vague in some areas. It doesn't identify many plugs and bolts throughout the bike and not much help to those who want details with certain mods. So, I see it's easy to pull the wrong bolt/plug thinking it was something else.
It seems to be more concerned that I will do something that will result in injury or certain death.
JMO...

Quick Reply: New Harley Owner - what are these drain plugs?