Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 heritage with front brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:07 PM
loosnut
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 heritage brake problem

Steve leonard--you're describing the problem exactly as i had and how the brake lever reacted after sitting overnight---spongy and bottom out at grip. Yes it is a master cylinder issue. It was a manufacturing issue.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:06 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

What bearing failed that they had to replace the motor.??

Thinking U rode it for a 100 miles to have service done without that being a issue.

Makes me wonder if the forgot to put the oil back in her before they road tested it and she cooked.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:25 AM
jst4kix
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a new Heritage Saturday morning, brake was fine. This morning, same as OP - brake lever to the grip with little pull effort. Pumps up fine with about 20 pulls; dealer is 61 miles away, already into "let's bleed and see what happens" routine. Pumped up and cable tied back to see what happens in the next 24 hours - dealer too busy to see me until mid-day Wednesday............

Old 06-19-2012, 01:11 PM
loosnut
Cruiser
Default 2012 heritage brake problem

definitly the master cylinder and don't let them tell you otherwise. I'm the original poster and to think the money it cost to go back and forth to the dealer (100 miles) for the same problem 3 times still ticks me off. And on the 3rd trip they still wanted to bleed the brakes again to see if that would work. Call customer service as I did and mention the saftey issue and they'll make the dealership replace it. I think Harley puts quite a bit of pressure on the dealerships not to install new parts unless 100% sure they're needed.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:14 PM
discuspilot
4th Gear

Had this exact same issue. Dealer rebuilt master cylinder. Been perfect ever since.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:14 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

I have a 2012 heritage with no brake problems. However, my nephew just bought a 2012 street Bob.He has the same problems everyone is describing. Brakes were bled twice. Keep telling him it's the master.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Dawgtraxx
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BARACU
I have a 2012 heritage with no brake problems. However, my nephew just bought a 2012 street Bob.He has the same problems everyone is describing. Brakes were bled twice. Keep telling him it's the master.
Having the same issue with my sons 2012 street bob..going to the dealer this weekend

Old 06-20-2012, 07:34 AM
Red Line
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jst4kix
I picked up a new Heritage Saturday morning, brake was fine. This morning, same as OP - brake lever to the grip with little pull effort. Pumps up fine with about 20 pulls; dealer is 61 miles away, already into "let's bleed and see what happens" routine. Pumped up and cable tied back to see what happens in the next 24 hours - dealer too busy to see me until mid-day Wednesday............
2012 FLSTC with EXACTLY the same problem. In the morning, the brake lever can be pulled to the grip easily with one finger. After about 15-20 pumps, she's fine. **Sigh** I'm starting to see the logic in buying a used bike with some miles on it so I'm not the BETA tester for their loose spokes, faulty ECM connection, and (now) master cylinder issues.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:29 AM
wantmyoldbike back
Stage II
Default 2012 heritage brakes

I have the same problem I had the bike a week I left the shed to roll down the drive and nearly hit the house.took bike to the dealer and was told I have to pump the brakes a few times before I ride off . Any way today I had to pull up suddenly and didn;t have any front brakes at all I just missed colliding with a van that stopped suddenly in front of me >I am lucky the rear brake worked.After reading the thread on this brake problem I do really want my old bike back.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:28 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 990 Posts

LEMON LAW!!! Tell them to take the dangerous POS back before it kills you. Send them a registered return reciept lawyer letter then sue the living s..t outa them when you get hurt. Or do what a friend did to Chrysler yrs ago. Pull into their lot and wipe out $100k in new vehicles out front when brakes fail then get big$$$$$ in lawsuit.
All corporations suck monkey *****.

Quick Reply: 2012 heritage with front brake problem