Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander V vs. Power Vision

Old 04-08-2012, 02:44 AM
eagle4u
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New to the EFI models, I was also not sure what tuning device to get. I narrowed it down between the PV and the PC5. Talked to the tuners who work for Cycle Solutions Inc and they recommended PC5 over the PV. I feel comfortable with their recommendation since they dyno'd a few thousand bikes. My local indy made the same recommendation. Will let you now how the install goes when I receive my order.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:08 AM
Twaffle
Advanced

Originally Posted by eagle4u
New to the EFI models, I was also not sure what tuning device to get. I narrowed it down between the PV and the PC5. Talked to the tuners who work for Cycle Solutions Inc and they recommended PC5 over the PV. I feel comfortable with their recommendation since they dyno'd a few thousand bikes. My local indy made the same recommendation. Will let you now how the install goes when I receive my order.
Well, they probably didn't caveat their argument with the fact that most bike setups don't require dyno time with the PV. Jamie @ Fuelmoto can email you tunes based on your specific exhaust, air cleaner, etc...so your indy wouldn't get your dyno business.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Reaper 9
Advanced

Well being my first EFI bike 2009 Fattie I'm on a new learning curve my self. But I went with the sreaming eagel race tuner.I love it not only don't you have to install anything on the bike it does not piggy back to the ECM.It's a down load right in to the brain telling / teaching it what to do and how. I have the stage 1 with V&H pipes and big sucker air cleaner. Not only was it cheaper with a dino run than others I look at but it runs like it never did. With this tuner as time goes on I can add cams / top-end or what ever and just retune with out ever having to add anything again. No more popping and it's running a lot cooler !!

For what it's woth!!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Das_Fatboy
Cruiser

PV all the way!!! To many features to mention and the people at FuelMoto are superb to deal with if you get it from them. I like the fact that I can fine tune a MAP to my bike without having to pay $$$ to get it dyno'd. It is not a piggy back unit so you can ride with or without it on the bike. No need to carry a laptop during a tuning run...all the information is stored on the unit. Once you have a MAP fine tuned, you can set the gauges to monitor things like engine temp, speed and many other variables. Changing from one MAP to another to adjust to your riding conditions takes less than 2 minutes. There is a forum STICKY dedicated to the PV...I must warn you though, there are a lot of pages and will take you hours to read thru all of the posts...but well worth it if you want to learn how to get the most from the PV.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:25 AM
chunks
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nobody has made any mention of the auto-tune. Dos this PV have anything like it?

I just had cams and big bore upgrades.

There was no canned maps for exactly my setup. Got one that was close
and it ran ok, but not great. some popping etc.

I enabled the auto-tune in my PC (had deactivated it previously when I had the bike just right) and witin 20-30 miles it has that rough map fine tuned and the bike running like clockwork...

Old 04-08-2012, 10:46 AM
gtr86
Advanced
Default Power Vision

How much does the PV cost? I have been doing business with Direct Harley Parts which is a company that is a secondary Dennis Kirk Outlet, prices seem great and owner talks to you almost every time on the phone. I checked on the website and they are selling the PV for $419... is that what the going rate is for these?

I also am ordering the CFR Fluted 4.5" Pipes and V&H head pipes, being I have a 2010 Streetglide should I go with 2009 V&H headpipes with the O2's bungs that accept Wideband with Auto-tune or just tune my bike with the factory O2's in the V&H 2010 headpipes?

How do these mount on bike besides handlebar mount right in front of the speaker? I would like to see live data but not sure if I want the thing hanging in front of my speaker on the bars, does anyone make a mount for the fairing yet?

http://www.directharleyparts.com/fue...en-p-3207.html

Old 04-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Five7Hemi
Cruiser

That's the cheapest I have seen it by quite a bit.

Thanks for the link

Old 04-08-2012, 11:03 AM
eagle4u
Advanced

Originally Posted by Twaffle
Well, they probably didn't caveat their argument with the fact that most bike setups don't require dyno time with the PV. Jamie @ Fuelmoto can email you tunes based on your specific exhaust, air cleaner, etc...so your indy wouldn't get your dyno business.
It is my understanding that PC5 has canned maps available. I have requested Cycle Solutions Inc to install a map that is close to my setup. My local indy will not get my $$ unless the map/maps need to be tweaked. If the bike needs it, most indy's have experience with PC5. I am not sure about their experience with PV. Not to start any flames but when you have two "experienced" tuners say PV sucks then you need to go with the product that is recommended.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:04 AM
prstaples1911
Intermediate

My understanding of the Powercommander Vision is that it marries itself to the bike and cannot be used with another bike. If that is true, that key disadvantage outweighs all the other advantages. I know my own ownership habits and I keep bikes for about three years. If the used bike selection at the local dealership is any indication, so do many of you.

Having to spend $500 for a new tuner every time I get a new scoot does not make a lot of sense to me. The PCV can be used on any compatible bike.

What is the price of convenience and isn't a map a map. I am not sure the Vision has a "better" map, just more gimmicks to program one.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:12 AM
acwhite
4th Gear

I am interested to know myself...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Commander V vs. Power Vision