Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOB Battery Replacement

Old 12-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Bikenator
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink FOB Battery Replacement

Had to replace my key FOB last night. Bike would not start...ignition on, run/stop to run, clutch all the way in to hand grip...NADA! Signal lights flashing, red key icon steady on.
I opened the FOB and rubbed both sides of the battery and its edges hoping this would help with a possible bad connection. It didn't.
Fortunately there was a Walgreens' a few steps away. $8.00 for 2 new Energizers and all was well again. Put 2nd battery in spare FOB.
These were replaced with new Energizers in March 2010 when the originals (May 2007) died. I mark the date on each battery as a record.The lesson for me is to replace these batteries each year.

Last edited by Bikenator; 12-19-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:07 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You realize there is a procedure you can follow to start the bike if you don't have the fob? It's in the owner's manual.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I just replaced mine last week after 3 1/2 years with the original ones. Mine started to let me know well in advance that the batteries were low. When ever I would upright the bike, the blinkers would go off for a second as if I didn't have the fob on me but by the time I hit my ignition and run switches it would be ready to go.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Bikenator
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by mswing1234
You realize there is a procedure you can follow to start the bike if you don't have the fob? It's in the owner's manual.
Yes, I even pulled out the manual from my saddle bag and read the procedure. Problem was...I couldn't remember the correct PIN. DUH, I didn't write it in the manual as a security precaution against someone else finding it! Lesson learned.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Aborigen2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mswing1234
Very good reminder!
The procedure to disarm the security system when the FOB won’t work is called “PIN Disarming Procedure”; it is in the Owners Manual. Once you do it couple of times it takes only 15 sec. to disarm the security.

The security system may not disarm not just because the FOB battery is low, but for number of other reasons as well:
- shorted/ defective security antenna on the bike
- Damage to the FOB
- You’ve lost your FOB, or have forgotten your FOB in the garage and have driven away without it
- You have parked in an area with strong Electromagnetic Interference (close to radio/tv stations; next to Police station; next to some high power industrial equipment and so on)
The PIN Disarming was intended as a backup just for such situations. And it works every single time since no signals need to be transmitted to the Security Module; you enter the PIN directly with the turn switches.
In the Owners Manual there is tear-off wallet size card, the PIN Procedure is printed on it. There is a place on the card for your PIN as well. I always carry the card with me, and on several occasions I had to use it myself, and on quite a few occasions I used it to help stranded fellows.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:29 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I can add to that with a comment and a question.1, I replace all batteries in my house the 1st of every year, fire alarm, smoke alarm and so on. I will now add my fob to that list thanks to your question and comment. 2nd, when I bought my bike off of a private owner he gave me the 2nd fob but said he never used it and didn't know how to set it up and activate it. He also had no manuals for me so I am left with the same prediciment. Does anyone know how to set up a key fob since I don't have a manual? I can get a manual, no problem but I am wondering if each and every bike has it's own some kind of code? This is why this forum is so damn good and useful, I would have never thought of my key fob battery until I was stuck out somewhere and left stranded.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Aborigen2
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
I can add to that with a comment and a question.1, I replace all batteries in my house the 1st of every year, fire alarm, smoke alarm and so on. I will now add my fob to that list thanks to your question and comment. 2nd, when I bought my bike off of a private owner he gave me the 2nd fob but said he never used it and didn't know how to set it up and activate it. He also had no manuals for me so I am left with the same prediciment. Does anyone know how to set up a key fob since I don't have a manual? I can get a manual, no problem but I am wondering if each and every bike has it's own some kind of code? This is why this forum is so damn good and useful, I would have never thought of my key fob battery until I was stuck out somewhere and left stranded.
Which year is your bike?
For bikes from 2000 to 2006 you can sign up yourself.
For bikes built after 2007 only the dealer can sign up a FOB using the service tool (computer). 2007 and later provide higher security since the FOB ID is never transmitted through the air and can not be hi-jacked by thiefs.
If your bike is earlier than 2007 I can tell you the procedure for signing a FOB up - it is simple, takes a minute. It should be in the manual as well.

If the bike is 2007 and later chances are that both FOBs are already signed up by the dealer - that's what they do at PDI.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:13 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

I replace mine every other Yr.
so 09,11,13, etc.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:17 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Because I'm lazy what is the part# for the fob bat? 2007. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Aborigen2
Cruiser

Originally Posted by soft 02
Because I'm lazy what is the part# for the fob bat? 2007. Thanks.
It is a generic 3V battery type XX2032, you can find it in any store or gas stations. The letter designations may vary depending on manufacturer but they all fit. For Panasonic battery it is CR2032.
Average cost is about $3, but it depends on the retailer, can be up to $4.5 a piece.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FOB Battery Replacement