Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redline Gear Oil question

Old 08-25-2012, 09:26 AM
ellisj1@comcast.net
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redline Gear Oil question

whats better to use in a 06 softail. the redline trans oil with shockproof or the redline shockproof heavy gear oil?

Old 08-25-2012, 10:05 AM
haulin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are we talking the redline vtwin trans oil w/ shockproof? Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are the same I thought. Redline branded that vtwin trans oil to avoid confusion, and make an extra penny or two. Could've sworn I read that somewhere.

"We are very proud of our motor oils, but Red Line's unique product known as "ShockProof" is truly a game-changer in terms of its effectiveness in a V-Twin transmission. Many Red Line fans started using this product in its automotive packaging, known as Heavy ShockProof® Gear Oil. The same product is now packaged as V-Twin Transmission Oil. By the way, it's the same fluid used in the differential of the world's best Top Fuel Dragsters."

Source: http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=49

Last edited by haulin; 08-25-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 08-25-2012, 10:13 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know too many people that have had issues with RL in the trans. I stick with Amsoil in mine. Mostly because I had it already and it made the shift to N much easier and less noise than HD Syn. Otherwise I would just use Syn in all three.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:40 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

The tranmission is designed to use certain weight OIL-Gl's/ basically its 50W oils and 75-110 GL's.

the use of heavier oils may be ok on the gears themselves, but IMO it can/could be too heavy for the tranmission bearings...

I tried some Bel-ray 85-140 once, but for our climate here in IND it shifted way to hard for the first 10 miles or so.. So IMO it was just to heavy of oil till the motor warmed up.

I dropped it after a couple weeks and went with Mobil 1 75-90 GL and have stuck with it since.
I like it a lot better and she shifts better than the others I've tried--- Syn3 - 20-50; Formula+:, and Bel-ray.

I use Mobil 1 products in all three holes now, and its easy to get and usually buy enough for the YR in the spring at auto stores, cause someone always has it on sale for $7.99.

I still do although only use the Harley motor filter.

Also there has been others in here that has had transmission issues using the heavier tranny oils and One even posted a thread about it, (Shockproof, I believe is what he used) After 60k and a totally messed up tranny, he stated He'd never use it again.

May be fine for a 300 mph For a dragster that's torn down all the time,, but that IMO doesn't mean its fine to run or better to use Heavier oils given the tolerances that Harley made for our tranny gears and bearings. just me.

Last edited by oct1949; 08-25-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added
Old 08-25-2012, 11:35 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I started a thread about 2 weeks ago labled Redline is outta there. I tried the redline when i put my shotgun shock in so I wouldn't have to worry about changing it for a while. I have an 06 Deluxe. My bike did NOT like that stuff. It shifted harder, couldn't find neutral and the tranny whined all the time with that stuff in it. In that thread a lot of people responded how they liked redline and how well it worked in their bikes. I never had any of those troubles before with my Amsoil. I just changed it back out Friday and got that stuff out of my bike. It is back to shifting like brand new, I can hit neutral every time now and I have no more whining, just like before I used the redline. I am not saying it isn't any goof. I am saying for me? For my bike? I and the bike just did not like that stuff.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:10 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I went from Amsoil 20W-50 in all 3 to Amsoil 75-110 in trans cuz I was having a little trouble finding neutral. That made it worse. So I just put the Redline V-Twin with Shockproof in last week. So far it is marginally better. Will be riding up to the Black Hills in a couple weeks, so that should give me a good idea whether or not it is any better I suppose.