Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Haggling price on 2012 Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Phochief
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haggling price on 2012 Fatboy

Ok, I'm ready to buy a 2012 Fatboy with $700 chrome wheel option. This will be my first Harley. The price, including freight and dealer fee is about $17,700. What do you think would be a good price to agree on (after some haggling)? I just want to ride away feeling like I got a fair deal.

Thanks,
David

Last edited by Phochief; 01-10-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 AM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

10-15% off that and no shipping or set up fees

Old 01-10-2012, 11:58 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phochief
Ok, I'm ready to buy a 2012 Fatboy with $700 chrome wheel option. This will be my first Harley. The price, including freight and dealer fee is about $17,700. What do you think would be a good price to agree on (after some haggling)? I just want to ride away feeling like I got a fair deal.

Thanks,
David

If you look at the HD website under 2012 Fatboy spec/pricing the MSRP is $16,349 ($16,734 for color option) + $700 for wheels + $1,195 for security/ABS brakes.
What color is it, does it have security, two tone paint? Those things add to their base MSRP. If you are looking at a Vivid Black with Chrome wheels and no security/ABS you are paying about $250 over MSRP, I wouldn't be happy with that deal. If the bike has all of those options then that's getting close to a good deal. It also depends on where you live........if you are somewhere that you can ride year round (warm climate) vs cold areas (where bikes aren't selling right now).......it might be ok.
I was in Tucson last year at the HD dealer there and they had record sales during the winter months........they were buying bikes from every cold climate dealer that would sell to them.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't forget you gotta pay sales taxes on $17,700.00!
That should be around another $1,062.00 at 6%.

I paid $18,768.75 out the door for my 2012 Fat Boy Lo
I did get the denim black paint, and the ABS brakes & alarm package.
Also part of that deal was a 2 year extended manufactures warranty.
So now I have a 4 year warranty.

If this is your first one I would definitely go for the ABS brakes. This is my first time with a Harley with them, and let me tell ya they work great and I am really happy I spent the extra on them.
They have boosted my confidence level up way higher than it was on my 2010 Fat Boy Lo that didn't have ABS.
I got caught in a bad rain storm on both of them. The one without ABS didn't stop too well on the wet road especially if it had to be a sudden quick hard stop. It felt like it would slide right out from under me. On the one with ABS when I jam on those brakes they keep me tracking straight and stop me way quicker than the one without. Now when I get caught in rain I could care less.
They work great and don't skid on dry or wet or even loose gravel. I personally, will never go back to regular manual brakes on my motorcycles.

Last edited by Jester750; 01-10-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Phochief
Advanced

The one I'm looking at is Vivid Black and only option is the chrome wheels. They didn't have any other Fatboys in stock, but I'm sure they could get one with other options. I also am glad I have ABS on my Goldwing and would like to have that option, but was willing to go without to save some money. I might have to reconsider that.

So, if I go with the Vivid Black, chrome wheels and the ABS/Security package, what do you think I should be able to walk out the door paying (not including tax and title)?

Was going to buy today, but now I'm probably going to hold off until I get a few more opinions.

Thanks,
David

Old 01-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Phochief
Advanced

...oh, and I'm in south Florida, so we're still riding.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:41 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Phochief

Thanks,
David
Go to the HD site and price it.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US....html#/c/specs
Most dealers wont come down off MRSP. You just have to make sure that they haven't added anything extra into the price.
If you can't get any discount, at least try to get them to throw in a few free periodic services and a lot of dealerships will include a certain discount on clothing and accessories for xx amount of time after the deal.
Good luck,
Tom

Old 01-10-2012, 12:55 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another option (unless you have to have abs AND 103) is to buy a 2011 that's still on the floor. I got a real good deal in 2011 (Sept) when I bought a new 2010 off the floor. Don't know if that's an option.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To me this was a big move and a big investment so I took my time and researched it thoroughly.
When I bought my first one on 2010, I went to 5 different dealers all over the state and one big one outta state. I talked similar deals to different dealers and got different answers from almost every one.
When I settled on the dealer my gut said to go to I had the knowledge and the low ball numbers to hack him down to a price that I thought was fair to pay.
Whatever you do....Do Not Settle!!!!
The dealer can get you any bike you want in any configuration in the H-D line up. The dealers are all networked. They just would rather sell ya what they have on the floor cause it's an easier sell for them.
The bike I got was ordered from a dealer I had already went to and test rode.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:13 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought there were quite a few dealers in the south ? Worth checking out other sales guys to see how bad they want to sell. Maybe even pit one against another..LOL. Seems fair.

Would definitely consider last year model end stock, unless color and options are hard fast with you. The price you quoted based upon single wheels options does not appear to be anything worth bragging about, unless I missed something in your description.

When we went in to negotiate my wifes' bike in CO Sprgs, I quoted them the price for Denver dealer, they came down to $100.00 within the price pretty quick (around same time of the riding year if I recall), and I made sure they were aware I was willing to pay the extra 100 bucks to them, if they acknowledged the fact that I chose their dealership because it was closer and I that I could expect some benefits on the service and parts side when the time came, and they honoured that sale agreement. Something to consider. Hell I always try for the Free Helmet option for new riders !

Quick Reply: Haggling price on 2012 Fatboy