Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who run no Front Fender

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 06:39 AM
psdj52
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default For those who run no Front Fender

I have been kicking around the ideal of running with no front fender for awhile. I love the look, but was wondering how much spray you get when it rains? Not that i do alot of rain riding, but it happens to all of us now and then. How bad is it without the front fender. I have a '08 Crossbones. I appreciate the info guys.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A buddy of mine has no front fender on his bike and I was surprised when we got pulled over at Laconia last year, and they were AOK, but I was surprised it was ONLY the fender that prompted the stop. The other thing that is a thought, is it possible for stones to be thrown up and ding your tank. I never thought to look at my buddies tank. Ride safe.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:31 AM
BayBones
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 09 Bones and was wondering the same thing. Hopefully some guys who have gone fenderless will provide perspective. A friend of mine removed the main fender from his Bones but left the support bracket and that even looked pretty cool. I was told that having a bandanna tied around the forks where the fender would normally be (only during a rain ride of course) will help to keep the spray off the rider but have never done it.

Attached Thumbnails For those who run no Front Fender-024.jpg  
Old 01-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One downside to no front fender is you get a face full of water if you ride through a wet spot in the road, you know where someone waters thier yard and the runoff goes across the road. And the sand! Always the sand getting thrown up in your face. Other than that I really like the no front fender.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,494 Likes on 2,483 Posts

Never liked the front fender on the 'Bones & Fatbob;they just don't look "right" to me, so yea, I think it will look much better. REALLY look great if you switched to a 16" front wheel,too! 'Course, that would mean more water & sand in your face with the larger footprint. Springers & FL 16s look great naked.

Last edited by dickey; 01-14-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:27 AM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

I ran for awhile without the fender but had to slap it back on to pass yearly inspection. I'm in Pennsylvania. I'm leaving it on because of the small stones and road dust that gets thrown back into the engine area.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Tx_Outlaw
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Been running without a front fender for a few years now. As mentioned, the sand is what is the worst. I always hear people mention the "spray from when it's raining"........ If you're riding when it's raining, you're already getting wet. What's the difference between that and the spray?

The following users liked this post:
Rocco Basi (05-31-2021)
Old 01-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member

+1 for both water puddles and sand thrown in your face. Other than that it's all good and it just looks better

Old 01-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Milty
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The first day I rode without a fender it rained. I thought it was pouring while I was riding, stopped at the light and the rain let up. Started moving again and I then noticed how much water and road grit was coming off the new 21 Metz and hitting me right between the eyes. **** it was funny. I tasted main street at it was good. I have a front fender but it won't be going on any time soon. Lose your fender buy some goggles!

Old 01-14-2012, 09:49 AM
JohnFlorida
Road Master

Had a bike with no front fender many years ago. You get a rooster tail in the face if you dont duck to the side

Quick Reply: For those who run no Front Fender