Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone make an N1 shift drum for the Harley 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 149 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Anyone make an N1 shift drum for the Harley 6 speed?

So along with everything else im considering (big bore kit, cams, headwork, ect) I'm thinking about installing an LA Machine jockey shifter but I would also like a N1 shift drum as well. I don't mind the stock drum setup but I figure not having to struggle to find neutral would be a lot easier when pulling up to a stop sign or whatever I happen to come across. I know a 'suicide shifter' isn't as hard or as dangerous as a lot of people make it out to be. I can just grab the brakes if needed and I know my bike wont be going anywhere.

I sent Baker an email to see if their N1 kit worked for the stock 6 speed but I don't know if I will hear anything back from them until Monday and I would like to start buying parts pretty soon. I would like to install the N1 drum, cams and jockey shift all at once.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 149 Likes on 61 Posts

Well I pulled the baffles out of my exhaust which sounds awesome now and deeper even which is great. Definitely have to post a new vid up soon but anyways I decided to see how easy it would be to hand shift and it's definitely a lot easier than expected. With a longer shift throw I think it would be extremely easy to hit neutral every time before coming up to a light. I tried landing on my right foot only and held my left on the shifter and the first time it was odd because I always keep my right foot on the brake when I stop but I managed to get it down pretty well. Also I tried to see how easy it was to let my foot slip and fly out into traffic and its basically impossible. Dumping the clutch would just kill the bike and I could kill the engine with just the front brake.

So here in a week or so I'll be ordering up the LA Jockey shifter and foot clutch. I tried to mock up the rocker clutch I bought a long time ago and I would have to re-drill the holes in it to get it to mount and I'm not even sure if it would have enough clearance to work... so if anyone needs a rocker clutch I got one for sale lol. I'll get on that video in a little while I have to sand and paint part of my exhaust pipe. And hopefully a good vid of my jockey shift and cams whenever I get them installed.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Man I wouldn't waste my time w/ the shift drum. It's pretty easy to find neut, as long as you find it before you stop.