Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe Vicla Build Is ON!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 12:41 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reflectors are on backorder, go figure!! LOL I've definitely learned not many places stock parts so everything is always a week or two of agonizing waiting.

Ghostrider more to come, thanks for the heads up on Rick!

I was considering going with a +2" cowbell but I'm definitely glad I went with OEM size. This was another ebay learning lesson. You'll find that many of these people selling them on the bay are selling take offs and don't list it as such. I didn't buy after thinking to ask, but I did purchase a set there that was chrome junk from Taiwan and thankfully the seller took them back! Of course we all know most parts are made overseas, but the ones being sold on the bay are primarily junk stuff cheaply chromed, if you even want to call it chrome. I just ended up ordering the cowbells from surdyke.com.

Captain - nothing wrong with blacked out. The OL got me that nice sign at the easyrider show...so nice to know her true thoughts.

Once back on the ground the +2s would have been crazy long with the 2" drop. This pic is with the wheel still off and the front end still suspended on the jack.

Last edited by NC D'LUXE; 01-28-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:00 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior

The plan for the swingarm was to send it out for chrome, but then knowing it would take probably 4 weeks and end up costing just as much, I just bought one. I had an initial quote of $240 plus about $80 in round trip shipping, but that wouldn't have included grinding down all the welds. To have that done I got additional quotes over $400.

Thanks ghostrider for the lead on Rick's Plating! I contacted him directly (ebay seller) and he sold me one without exchange and with shipping, it wasn't much more and I didn't have to wait 4 or more weeks to get it! The level of detail in the prep before plating is evident with all the welds smoothed and even area's that are out of sight were very well prepped. I'd definitely deal with him again!

This was a real simple swap with the back wheel already off, there's only 1 bolt! A 13/16 socket and a 12" adjustable to get what I believe is a 1 1/8" bolt off made quick work of it. First just heat up the nut with a heat gun to loosen the loctite.

While I was at it I went ahead and swapped out the rear brake line with a stainless braided line and figured I might as well swap out the rear master cylinder with a chrome one!

Now to find some axle covers.

She's starting to come together. Hope to get the tank back on later today.

On to the Shotgun! This was really a pretty simple install especially with the rear wheel off. Tapping the two tranny holes was pretty easy except the handle that came with the little cheap set of taps I bought wasn't worth a crap so the vice grips did the trick.

Mounted up the compressor fits perfectly into the tight area just under the tranny. The shock itself looks and feels like it could withstand a direct impact from a nuc! lol

The wiring was simple to run up through the battery box and all the connection were simple plug and play with heat shrink wrap. Each plug would only mate up with the matching one and then just the hot and negative to the battery. I was going to mount the switches on the console but there's been a change in plans for the console so I mounted them on the horn mounting bolt.

That just about catches everything up until more parts come in. Everything is ordered and it's just a waiting game at this point. In the mean time I'll be hunting down chrome bolts to replace those normally covered by the exhaust.

Last edited by NC D'LUXE; 01-28-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:14 PM
partycrasher
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NC D'LUXE......YOU are cookin with GAS my man !!! Love the color--love the mods...your gonna be rockin in high style!!! Keep it going and keep those pics coming.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:19 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you get yor wheels in yet? How they looking

Old 01-28-2012, 03:29 PM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sean, know when you were fitting your Shotgun?, Is the place where you have your bike jack forward enough to get at the shocks?
Why I'm asking is I have a similar bike jack, and was maybe thinking that the jack was goin to be in the way of getting the old shock off/new shock on.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by thelawnmowerman
Sean, know when you were fitting your Shotgun?, Is the place where you have your bike jack forward enough to get at the shocks?
Why I'm asking is I have a similar bike jack, and was maybe thinking that the jack was goin to be in the way of getting the old shock off/new shock on.
I'm interested in this too. With my bike up on the jack, doesn't look like there's any way to get the shocks out from underneath.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:47 PM
09heritagerider
Road Captain

WOW! Your Deluxe is gonna look great after its transformation! The satisfaction you will have from doing it yourself will be well worth it. Good luck with the rest.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:59 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior

Thanks all! More pics to come tonight.

Kozy, my front will be here Monday and the rear Wednesday.

Installing the actual shock was a little tricky with the jack. I had to slide the rear of the shock, up and back to clear the front. Then I slide it forward lowering the back of the shock to mount onto the swingarm boss. Guess that makes sense. lol

If I were going to change the tranny fluid, no, you couldn't take the front shock bolts off and swing the shotgun down, it wouldn't clear the jack at least in this position. At least not in its current position. With the wheels off I was almost screwed because it would have been hell trying to slide the bike on the jack (I tried! LOL).

Old 01-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dig that swing arm bro...nice!

Tapping tranny holes...that just dont sound right

Last edited by Motown Strag; 01-28-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:24 PM
socal yankee
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Motown Strag
Tapping tranny holes...that just dont sound right
HAHAHA! You totally beat me to that one...
Nyce work, NC'D....
Comin together real nyce!!!
Lookin forward to seeing the finished pics and you rydin the heck outta her!

That one sounded pretty good too

Quick Reply: Deluxe Vicla Build Is ON!