Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barnett Clutch Cable issues???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:01 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Barnett Clutch Cable issues???

Any you guys have experience with Barnett clutch cable or any of their cables for that matter? I was hit from behind in May 10 and the dealer wound up fixing my bike. When the cables were replaced I remember talking to the parts manager about the cables that would be going back on. I requested Magnum cables because I had some experience with these and had seen alot of positive reviews. He led me to believe that's what would be used. My bike got back together around August (I think?). I had noticed some discoloration of the clutch cable below the adjuster and HD chrome adjuster cover. While in Daytona Feb. 11 we got caught in a pretty good rain storm. By the time I got back home the braiding under the sheath was rusting and was brown. I took it to the dealer for them to see and sent them some pics to be sent to the distributor. The cable was replaced at no cost around April-May 11.

The only water bike bike has seen since is when I was it. The second cable is now doing the same thing. Apparently the outer sheath is not sealed where the cable adjuster is and as moisture seeps in between the sheath and braid the sheath starts to rust. I called the dealer (who has been bought out by another owner). The parts manger is no longer there but many of the other employees are still there. One is a young lady who was somewhat involved and remembers the issue. When I question her on who makes the cables she tells me they are Barnett cables but they go through a distributor. She also tells me they have never had a single issue and that this is odd. When I tell her the parts manager told me they were going to be Magnums she tells me he lied. She speaks to the new parts manager and requests pictures of cable #2.

Anybody heard of or experienced this with Barnett cables or any other cables for that matter? It seems odd to me that this has happened twice considering the level of care that my bike gets. My bike is kept clean and is stored in my insulated, finished garage. Another thing that makes me mad is this was an insurance job (from the party that hit me from behind). There was no reason to cut cost or put anything on my bike other than what I requested.

As always any help is most appreciated!

Old 02-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I slid the boot down on my stock clutch cable to back it off so I could remove my clutch lever. It was rusty and brown also. Actually it was still wet from the last time I washed the bike. Not sure if this helps haha. But I guess it does show that those boots don't seal out moisture

Old 02-15-2012, 11:02 AM
harleyheaven
Road Master

My cable is turning below the cover and it is about 10 inches. Apparently any water or moisture is getting between the outer sheath and the braid. I've actually got the HD chrome cover over the adjuster instead of the rubber boot. I would think this cover would offer more protection from the elements over the rubber boot but neither is water proof and to be honest it shouldn't have to be. The clutch cable should be sealed on the ends to prevent water entrance.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:24 AM
Nickrc3
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a coincidence, as I have been experiencing the exact failures with the Magnum Sterling Chromite cables - throttle and idle. The cables are less than two years ago and look terrible. Bike is garage kept, often covered (within the garage too) and never sees wet conditions.

I've been round-and-round with the Magnum folks who absolutely refuse to acknowledge a failure. These idiots claim my installation caused their premature discoloration. After I send several detailed pictures, the conclusion to their 'close examination' revealed I lubricated the cables due to the 'barber-striping' that runs the entire length. I couldn't believe this crap, and still can't!

Magnum refuses to provide an exchange and now wants me to send the cables up for their 'personal evaluation' in hopes of determining the true cause of failure. This, of course, leaves my bike out-of-service for possibly weeks. I mentioned this - they didn't care. I suggested sending a used or 'blemed' set of cables down to me in Florida so they can take the extra time they may need - no way!

I can't begin to tell you how frustrated I am with these people and their on-going E-mails, phone calls, speaking to some different yo-yo Supervisor each week, etc. And for what - two lousy $48.00 cables!

I doubt I'll every purchase another product from them again. And to think I recommended their ****.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 AM
harleyheaven
Road Master

Originally Posted by Nickrc3
This is a coincidence, as I have been experiencing the exact failures with the Magnum Sterling Chromite cables - throttle and idle. The cables are less than two years ago and look terrible. Bike is garage kept, often covered (within the garage too) and never sees wet conditions.

I've been round-and-round with the Magnum folks who absolutely refuse to acknowledge a failure. These idiots claim my installation caused their premature discoloration. After I send several detailed pictures, the conclusion to their 'close examination' revealed I lubricated the cables due to the 'barber-striping' that runs the entire length. I couldn't believe this crap, and still can't!

Magnum refuses to provide an exchange and now wants me to send the cables up for their 'personal evaluation' in hopes of determining the true cause of failure. This, of course, leaves my bike out-of-service for possibly weeks. I mentioned this - they didn't care. I suggested sending a used or 'blemed' set of cables down to me in Florida so they can take the extra time they may need - no way!

I can't begin to tell you how frustrated I am with these people and their on-going E-mails, phone calls, speaking to some different yo-yo Supervisor each week, etc. And for what - two lousy $48.00 cables!

I doubt I'll every purchase another product from them again. And to think I recommended their ****.
It is very frustrating. I certainly don't expect things to last for ever but I do expect them to have some measure of durability.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out for both of us.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:07 PM
eric2011Deluxe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man and I was just about to order some Magnum chromite cables maybe i should go a different route if their customer service is that shitty.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:05 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master

Update:

This is the response from the lady in parts:

Hey, sorry I've been out of the store quite a bit lately and trying to get things cleared up before friday. I have emailed the pictures to the company and unfortunately they will not warranty the cable. It's not a matter of the cable leaking and rusting the lines but a matter of condensation getting in there based on the adjuster cover you have on the bike. Their words to me were that cables are not supposed to get wet and although they have a clear plastic protectant on them they are not waterproof so when a motocycle is washed ideally the cables should be avoided other than wiping them down. I know that this is not the answer you wanted to receive, however, I have talked to the General Manager here and he said that we could not replace at no charge but we could sell you a new cable at our cost to save you some money on the cable. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me or call and ask to speak to __ the parts manager or __our General Manager. Again I'm sorry for the inconvenience, and if there's anything we can do to help we will do our best to do so.

I love the part about "the cables are not supposed to get wet"

I went in today and told the service manager they ruined my clutch cable when they washed my bike right after installation. He gave a blank look and pretty much didn't know what to say. I should add we have a pretty good relationship so after some ribbing I went to speak to the new parts manager.

The new parts manager was very nice and much to my suprise seemed to know nothing of the issue. After telling him the story he looked up my account and tells me that I indeed have Magnum cabnles on my bike. What??? Yep...right there on the original work order. So why was I told they were Barnett? Nobody knows because she is no longer with us. Who did she send the pictures and complaint to?? He doesn't know.

I'm not sure where the "not supposed to get wet" comments came from? Maybe she sent the pics to Barnett or maybe she made it up? Who knows at this point.

The good news is the parts manager was a consumate professional. He went out and measured my cable and said he would be ordering me a new Harley cable at no charge. The service manager wasn't quite as accomodating seeing that they have already replaced this thing once at no charge he said they would do it for 1 hr labor. So now I've go to decide if I want to do or pay them?

So, my apologies to Barnett as the cable was not made by them. It is however a Magnum cable so...at this point I'm not sure if Magnum has even had a chance to respond to this particular issue? But the fact that both my clutch cables that failed miserably came from Magnum does give me pause...

Old 03-01-2012, 09:54 PM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn, I just did new bars with Magnum Chromite cables. I havent washed the bike or rode in the rain since the install. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:21 PM
LaidInk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic my magnum cables shipped today....

Old 03-01-2012, 10:56 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2010Deluxeguy
Damn, I just did new bars with Magnum Chromite cables. I havent washed the bike or rode in the rain since the install. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

If I had known then what I know now I would have used a good marine heat shrink and sealed the terminations at the adjuster on the clutch cable. Apparently the termination at the adjuster is not good and allows moisture, water, rain, condensation...whatever lablel they want to put on it..between the clear jacket and the braid. Then the rust starts and it looks terrible!

Harbor Freight has a nice little kit of marine heat shrink that can be picked up pretty cheap when on sale. I always watch their flyers and emails so I've always got some on hand. I've used it quite a bit installing led lights on bikes and for marine applications. The heat shrink has a glue that activates when heated and will make a good seal.

The parts manager said he wanted to go with a Harley cable so if there were any more issues he would have more options on making it right. I have heard it mentioned several times that Magnum actually makes Harley cables. I asked the parts manager and he stated that Harley was tight lipped about this. He has actually asked and they will neither confirm or deny but asks "Whay do you want to know?"

Hopefully yours will not do this but it would pay to be proactive with the clutch cable considering what's been mentioned here. My bike hasn't been washed but 4-5 times since the cable was put on and it is dried with an air dryer. It's not been in the rain at all and is kept in my garage that is insulated and semi-conditioned. If the cable is doing this with the level of care my bike receives what do you think one would look like that is on a bike ridden in the rain or kept outside?

I still can't get over these comments:

"It's not a matter of the cable leaking and rusting the lines but a matter of condensation getting in there based on the adjuster cover you have on the bike."

So if the cable was sealed and not leaking, then there would still be rust?

"Their words to me were that cables are not supposed to get wet and although they have a clear plastic protectant on them they are not waterproof so when a motocycle is washed ideally the cables should be avoided other than wiping them down"

And this...are you serious? Motorcycles should never get wet?
I can't believe someone would put that in writing.

Quick Reply: Barnett Clutch Cable issues???