Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 PM
SweedTownHD
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine oil

looking for suggestions on what brand synthetic oil used for quiet engine results. I generally use HD synthetic oil but not real satified.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Mobile1 20W/50 V-twin synth...works great!!!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For quiet operation mobil 1 is not what you want. I am not saying it isn't good oil but every motor I have ever put it into,the valvetrain got louder.
Actually,even amsoil made my valvetrain louder. The only time it ever got quieter was when I used red line and good old penzzoil 20w-50.
Even though the v-twin oils are rated 20w-50 they tend to be a bit thinner than conventional,red line being the exception.
Even though the engine isn't as quiet,it is being protected well with mobil 1 or amsoil. Try to find red-line. If it isn't readily accessible use a name brand synthetic and put a bottle of blue STP oil treatment. It's loaded with zddp,and it thickens the oil in the pan,thereby creating a thicker cushion of oil.
Avoid Lucas oil stabilizer at all costs. Yes it will thicken the oil in the pan however it has no additives in it whatsoever,so it dillutes the additive package of the oil. The STP blue bottle has a load of zddp which is an anti wear agent.
Noise may be annoying but it's not indicative of more wear.
If you don't like adding oil additives then just order red-line from an online dealer. They have a motorcycle package that includes oil,primary fluid and shockproof for the transmission,which,in my experience,on my bike,has been the best product I have found for it. Motor oil is for engines.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Can I play????? please please please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amsoil 20/50

Old 02-14-2012, 08:36 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not again.....

Old 02-14-2012, 11:49 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Old 02-15-2012, 12:31 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
Now that is funny as hell!!!!

Old 02-15-2012, 01:04 AM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He'll, that's not a stupid question. I love oil posts. Bet I've read 500 of them and still love them. Just me I guess!

Old 02-15-2012, 07:38 AM
outgood
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Mobil 1 syn, but that doesn't mean you should. There's a link to an oil study in my sig. I would recommend anyone read the study and draw their own conclusion. Page 24 of the study has an overall ranking of 17 oils, however, I would read the entire document.
At the end of the study it reads:

The cost difference between the average price for motorcycle oils and the most expensive oils is less than $15 per oil change. If the performance of an oil can support an extended oil change interval, that cost is reduced. The consumer must consider the performance and benefits offered by an oil and how those benefits affect their
motorcycle investment to determine the oil’s value.
In conclusion, maximum performance and cost effectiveness are obtained when one looks beyond marketing claims and selects a product based on the data that supports it.

Last edited by outgood; 02-15-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:48 AM
jbmolly
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like AMSOIL and I will probably run it in my Fatty, but what about Royal Purple? I thought it is supposed to have more zddp's than any other oil. It worked great in all of my vehicles when I was in SO Cal.
Including my bike and it was a noisy a** Roadstar! I couldn't hear any ticks on it due to the exhaust being so loud.

After researching Oil Comparison'e the ones that I see that show AMSOIL on top are always performed by AMSOIL.
I am gonna look for one that is performed by an independent company.

I did see one that states for horse power Royal Purple is the best but for everyday driving AMSOIL is the best.

However, This does not answer which is the best for quiet running.

Last edited by jbmolly; 02-15-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Quick Reply: engine oil