Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 06:29 AM
CajunIron
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Iron did pretty much the same drove me bat **** crazy. Due to no trouble codes I recorded the speedometer not working etc on my phone. Also it only did this once it was warmed up. Harley said they were unable to replicate it. Until I told them it had to be really warmed up. He put it in the Dyno room and presto she acted up. After replacement the bike ran much better.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:40 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayvis
Glad to be of service! Forgot all about this thread since it was over 2 years ago...
Just want to add that I also ended up changing my IAC motor thing-a-ma-jig at a later date because the cutting out at stops returned. Never did have any more speedo problems though. Information on this and other forums has saved me a ton of $$$ over the years.
I installed the VSS & IAC a few weeks ago, and no issues since!! I'd say I have about 200 miles on her since then, so not too many but next week I'm heading out on a 2500 mile ride to the HD Softail factory in PA so she'll get the REAL test then!

Old 05-02-2014, 04:50 AM
Redder
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good post. my bones is idling weird lately...not stall but on verge.

can this be replaced without removing the wheel or guard? how much of a pain is it?

Old 05-02-2014, 05:49 AM
LittleCannon
Advanced
Received 78 Likes on 17 Posts

I managed to replace without removing wheel.
It is really tight, but possible.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:52 AM
tmilo1000
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

How does one replace the VSS? I can see it, touch it, but can't get a hex wrench in it to remove the bolt. FYI - I came across this thread yesterday, on my ride home the speedo started acting up....reading 120MPH while going about 50 in traffic. I made one stop and after starting up again, the speedo worked fine. Given the intermittent problem, I figure I would just go ahead and replace it.

Last edited by tmilo1000; 05-02-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:25 AM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tmilo1000
How does one replace the VSS? I can see it, touch it, but can't get a hex wrench in it to remove the bolt. FYI - I came across this thread yesterday, on my ride home the speedo started acting up....reading 120MPH while going about 50 in traffic. I made one stop and after starting up again, the speedo worked fine. Given the intermittent problem, I figure I would just go ahead and replace it.
The manual spells it out nicely. If you don't already have one, it was the best investment I ever made with my HD.

Let's see.... rear wheel, splash guard, computer block, and electrical panel being held on by 3 bolts. After all that's off, the VSS is staring you in the face. Then it's easy to replace!!!

Old 05-04-2014, 05:24 AM
opencaliber
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spydyr
The manual spells it out nicely. If you don't already have one, it was the best investment I ever made with my HD.

Let's see.... rear wheel, splash guard, computer block, and electrical panel being held on by 3 bolts. After all that's off, the VSS is staring you in the face. Then it's easy to replace!!!
Get a manual. I replaced mine on a a 2010 Fat Boy without have to take off the rear wheel. Pretty easy to do. It just nuts and bolts. There is a thread on here with pics and instructions that made me go ahead and do mine.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:10 AM
LittleCannon
Advanced
Received 78 Likes on 17 Posts

Small update:

Couple days later, idle problem is back.
At the end I also had to change IAC.

300km later everything still OK.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:09 AM
na5m
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this VSS issue seems to be an ongoing ordeal.... I have a brand new 2015 Iron 883 and after about 1000 miles, my speedometer began to drop to zero whilst riding. I'm still under warranty, but I think I might try to simply replace the VSS myself and see if the following stops happening:

Old 06-13-2016, 01:41 PM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

It's happened to me twice on my 2005.

Quick Reply: Replacing Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)