Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 01:10 PM
rjayt_2007
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you as well- ref my 2002 roadking-i was informed that it was my voltage regulator $200 plus and it did the same thing-(speedometer went south/turn signal would not cancel itself and extremly low idle/dying out) guess speed sensor is next

Old 06-25-2016, 08:11 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Swapped my VSS this morning.
See this thread, post #19:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...l#post15270918

Old 08-02-2016, 12:23 PM
Busterfla
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 02 Nightrain speed sensor

Changed out the speed sensor back in March and it has already stopped working…Speedometer quit, odometer does not work, and turn signals do not auto reset. Harley sold me a new one and will refund cost when I take the old one back. 1yr warranty. Can change out by removing the splash guard to get to the connector but it is a pain. Drove from MO to FL with no speedometer but no idle problems or stalling.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:42 AM
HDSTClassic
Stage IV

I have a 2013 Heritage Softail Classic 103 with 13K miles. The speedometer and odometer won't work, gear indicator won't show up, turn signals won't cancel out and the engine stalls when coming to a stop.
I think the sensor has to be removed from behind the splash guard, but when I try to slide the splash guard up over the tire, there are "tabs extending out from both sides of the guard at the top that come in contact with the fender.
How do I remove the sensor?
BTW, when I checked for a code, it displays no code for the speedo.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:34 AM
Sparky357
Road Master
Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSTClassic
I have a 2013 Heritage Softail Classic 103 with 13K miles. The speedometer and odometer won't work, gear indicator won't show up, turn signals won't cancel out and the engine stalls when coming to a stop.
I think the sensor has to be removed from behind the splash guard, but when I try to slide the splash guard up over the tire, there are "tabs extending out from both sides of the guard at the top that come in contact with the fender.
How do I remove the sensor?
BTW, when I checked for a code, it displays no code for the speedo.
The splash guard pulls down much easier. If you have a jack is even easier.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:59 PM
HDSTClassic
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Sparky357
The splash guard pulls down much easier. If you have a jack is even easier.
That's exactly what I ended up doing. Thanks for your reply.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:39 PM
billybarou
Stage III

Hello All, It seems that a lot of Bikers are havin problems with the speed sensor. I have a 2013 Breakout and after readin the similar problems I would think there might be a recall on these sensors, does anyone know if theres a recall on the Speed Sensors?
Appreciate all the info on these issues and like another one said if it wasn't for these forums to help out then I couldn't afford own the awsome bike that I have cuz I can't afford the rates the HD shop charges.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:50 PM
HDSTClassic
Stage IV

Originally Posted by billybarou
Hello All, It seems that a lot of Bikers are havin problems with the speed sensor. I have a 2013 Breakout and after readin the similar problems I would think there might be a recall on these sensors, does anyone know if theres a recall on the Speed Sensors?
Appreciate all the info on these issues and like another one said if it wasn't for these forums to help out then I couldn't afford own the awsome bike that I have cuz I can't afford the rates the HD shop charges.
Harley, unlike the automakers, doesn't seem to have any governing watchdog group to force Harley into doing any recalls. Instead, Harley simply comes out with their "Screaming Eagle" version of the defective parts and make us pay the price.
My bike had less than 10,000 miles on it when the speed sensor went out. I pulled it out and there was absolutely no metal shavings on it. It was just a defective part.
Try going into the Harley dealer and attempt to talk directly to one of the techs and the person at the service counter will tell you that you need to buy the service manual...more money. All I needed to know was about the speed sensor, not the whole damn motorcycle. But it's a Harley $$$$$