Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil scavenger

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:58 PM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 337 Likes on 217 Posts

I like it even if it is just for peace of mind. I was amazed how much 'old' oil would otherwise stay in the system. 100% new is better than 75% new 'n 25% old in my book.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:35 AM
AKHD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:13 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Boy, I thought I would check my thread, this thread this morning after I wrote it yesterday and there would be 2 or 3 pages of me getting ripped by everyone telling me what a fool I am and another wasted $80 bucks! I am not knew to riding and owning a Harley. I rode my 1st one in 1970 when I was 13 and bought my very own 1st one in 1975 when I was 18. If this product would have been available back then I would of had one way back then too. I too am a "CLEAN FREAK" and I spend SO much time on the outside of the bike, why not the inside like one of the replies here so mentioned. It just doesn't make sense to me to leave behind so much old, dirty filthy oil to mix with the new. I also have the Harley oil cooler and that thing is pretty big, bigger then most that are out there so that is just that much more old oil left behind. I also change my oil way before it's time but still, filth is filth, crud is crud and I want it ALL out of there each and everytime I change my oil.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:52 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Seen them,, just not sure I really want one.

When I changed my oil couple months ago. I tried not to spill any so I could get a real good measurement on the amounts just to check it.

On the motor drain I got a total of 75 ozs in the pan and figured I spilt 2ozs on the motor and the filter paper keep 3-4ozs. So I got out at least 80ozs.

Then I put on new filter and filled it, fired her up and then topped her off at the 1/2 mark on the dip stick as usual and it took 85 ozs to refill.

So IMO there is not 20% of the old oil that stays in the motor. I am more to believe that theres only around 5ozs that stays in the motor and thats only about 6%.

If using it makes U feel better, go for it, I just wanted to see for myself what was the real truth in the ads that say we leave 20% of our old oil in the motor.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:35 AM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser

First time I heard about something like the scavenger was some one just using the old oil filter until the oil came out clean then change the filter. I don't know how much oil would be "wasted" using either method. I saw the ad for the scavenger, and it piqued my interest. However I'm deployed right now and away from my scooter so I have time to decide it I want an $80 hockey puck to use on oil changes, or try keeping the old filter on until I see the clean oil. Congrats on your purchase though.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:34 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Respectfully to the person or people who measure how much oil they get out and how much oil they put back in remember that there is always oil trapped up in the motor and places like the oil cooler if you have one. If you measure how much you get out, there is still the old oil throughout the motor and then if you start it and fill it you still have to account for the oil still stuck in places in the motor that you cant measure. If you measure what you get out of your motor against what you put back in the motor there is still all that oil unaccounted for that is trapped up in your motor!! In any case, being the clean freak that I am, a real stickler for detail and a fanatic when it comes to my scooter and it being clean, I want it just as clean on the inside as I can get it as I do on the outside. I made my mind up when I put that big Harley oil cooler on my bike, I want ALL of the old oil out of there, every drop if I can possibly get it! Then there is what I have spent on my bike to date compared to that $80 bucks, it's a drop of oil in the pan compared to what I have spent on the bike. I have big bucks in my bike and a motor that I have ALWAYS wanted, I am going to do everything I piossibly can to protect it and yes, baby it! This is my last bike, I am retiring in a few years. I won't be making $$$k a year no more, I will be a fixed income and that is going to be a heck of an adjustment for me but I know I can't afford another bike on a fixed income so this is it for me. I want this bike to last me until the day I drop over dead!!

Last edited by tbonetony06; 02-26-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
Seen them,, just not sure I really want one.

When I changed my oil couple months ago. I tried not to spill any so I could get a real good measurement on the amounts just to check it.

On the motor drain I got a total of 75 ozs in the pan and figured I spilt 2ozs on the motor and the filter paper keep 3-4ozs. So I got out at least 80ozs.

Then I put on new filter and filled it, fired her up and then topped her off at the 1/2 mark on the dip stick as usual and it took 85 ozs to refill.

So IMO there is not 20% of the old oil that stays in the motor. I am more to believe that theres only around 5ozs that stays in the motor and thats only about 6%.

If using it makes U feel better, go for it, I just wanted to see for myself what was the real truth in the ads that say we leave 20% of our old oil in the motor.
I use the Scavenger on my bike and do changes for my friends. The advertisements for it are correct, it does remove 28 to 32 oz. of dirty oil from the engine. It works so well that I am starting an oil change business using the Scavenger. When people actually see what is left behind with a traditional oil change they become believers. I have also dropped my operating temps significantly by running Amsoil. My bike stays right around 200 degrees now and is very smooth.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:32 AM
gooberdog
Road Captain

Won't this 20 dollar one do the same thing?

http://2armcyclestore.com/shoponline...dbb10eac77f6e1

Old 02-26-2012, 09:50 AM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one as well. It is a piece of mind thing and I do get a fair amount of dirty oil from it. I never did a measurement 0f what comes out,

But for 80.00, it is fairly cheap.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:14 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, as for the $20 buck one I never seen it in action so I can't comment. If it gets out all the old, dirty, filthy oil I don't see why not though! It's odd the one guy here mentioned doing an oil change business using his scavenger! I have thought of the same thing only offering it free of charge for anyone in the neighborhood and able to catch me on my day's off! I am about 50 miles S.W. of Chicago. Not only that but if you are a traveler comming through this way and want an oil change while out on the road, stop on by!! If you provide all the stuff you can use my scavenger free of charge. If I have to run and get the oil and filter then I guess I would have to charge for that though. I also have been running the Amsoil, much cooler then the previous oil I was using.

Quick Reply: Oil scavenger