Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil scavenger

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 06:50 PM
2000FiveOh
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're that concerned just disconnect the oil line from the tank, stick a hose on it, and run it for 10 seconds. No need to spend 80 bucks for this. 80 bucks...give me a break!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:50 PM
fmnspooch
Road Master

I say, to each's own. Its your cash. Do what makes you happy. Ive spent 80 bucks on worse things for sure. and Im sure I'll do it again.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:55 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Dixie Dreg
I use the Scavenger on my bike and do changes for my friends. The advertisements for it are correct, it does remove 28 to 32 oz. of dirty oil from the engine. It works so well that I am starting an oil change business using the Scavenger. When people actually see what is left behind with a traditional oil change they become believers. I have also dropped my operating temps significantly by running Amsoil. My bike stays right around 200 degrees now and is very smooth.

Mine is ordered and will arrive on "Leap Day". Then Amxoil going in, as usual. When I pull that dip stick, I want to see what looks like first cold pressed extra virgin olive oil in there!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep, it is my money and seeing how I have such a huge investment in my bike and compared to the 20k I already have in it aside from the cost of the bike that is a drop in the bucket! If those out there don't think it's a good idea, bad investment or foolish all I can say is I don't come on here and rag on anyone in anything they do to their scooters. In my opinion that is "hallowed ground" and I never tread on someone else's pride and joy. The next time I change my oil, which will be the 1st time I will have done it with the scavenger I will come back then and comment. If it does as advertised I will say so. If it's an 80 dollar hole in the wall, I will report that as well. Until then I am happy with my choice as I am a clean freak and maticulous when it comes to MY pride and joy. I just so happen to like the idea of a complete 100% pure, clean and complete oil change when I do so. It is like I said, I been around and on Harleys for nearly 40 years and if I had this available way back when I am sure I would have used it then too.

Last edited by tbonetony06; 02-27-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 AM
fmnspooch
Road Master

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Yep, it is my money and seeing how I have such a huge investment in my bike and compared to the 20k I already have in it aside from the cost of the bike that is a drop in the bucket! If those out there don't think it's a good idea, bad investment or foolish all I can say is I don't come on here and rag on anyone in anything they do to their scooters. In my opinion that is "hallowed ground" and I never tread on someone else's pride and joy. The next time I change my oil, which will be the 1st time I will have done it with the scavenger I will come back then and comment. If it does as advertised I will say so. If it's an 80 dollar hole in the wall, I will report that as well. Until then I am happy with my choice as I am a clean freak and maticulous when it comes to MY pride and joy. I just so happen to like the idea of a complete 100% pure, clean and complete oil change when I do so. It is like I said, I been around and on Harleys for nearly 40 years and if I had this available way back when I am sure I would have used it then too.

Keep me posted bro. If it works out for you, I need an oil change too. Maybe I order me one up too.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:34 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

After really thinking about this I retract my statement I said above.

The only time one could really check how much oil stays in the sump by adding the oil the first time filling a brand new dry motor, then Ud knew how much it took to fill it the first time.

I heard and read for yrs that a (New) B motor takes 3 quarts the first time.. So if thats correct, then that would be 96 ozs .

One thing I didn't do was make sure where the oil level was before I started.
It could have been on the lower level of the stick.??

So If I got 80-82 ozs out of the motor (thats drained, spilled, and what the filter keep) and if it was 8 ozs low in the tank It could add up to 90 ozs pretty easy.

That would leave 6 ozs appox in the sump and oil thoughout the motor . Which is what I've read in here this morning that a Harley keeps between 2-6 ozs in the sump.

Which again is 5%-6%.

So, I do believe that U may have to flush 30 ozs of new oil to mix with the 2-6 ozs of old oil thats left in the motor to get what looks like new oil coming out of the motor back into the oil tank.

But I would disagree that there's actually 30 ozs of the old oil still in there to began with.

Still for those who worry about that 2-6 ozs of used oil left in the motor when changing oils, then this method would make U feel better.

Last edited by oct1949; 02-27-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.. about spending money on these things.. there's a video somewhere (probably youtube) that shows you how to do this whole thing while using the old oil filter.. basically change your oil, but not the oil filter.. remove the oil return line and hook up the hose like you would with one of the kits, run the bike until the clean oil comes out, then stand the bike straight up or tilt it to the right a little bit, unscrew the old filter (Supposedly no oil is supposed to come out with the engine off, it worked on my old Sportster, haven't tried it on the Softail though).. then replace the oil filter to the new one, reconnect everything, top off the oil tank, and that's it.. sounds logical to me

Old 02-28-2012, 02:34 PM
2000FiveOh
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
.. about spending money on these things.. there's a video somewhere (probably youtube) that shows you how to do this whole thing while using the old oil filter.. basically change your oil, but not the oil filter.. remove the oil return line and hook up the hose like you would with one of the kits, run the bike until the clean oil comes out, then stand the bike straight up or tilt it to the right a little bit, unscrew the old filter (Supposedly no oil is supposed to come out with the engine off, it worked on my old Sportster, haven't tried it on the Softail though).. then replace the oil filter to the new one, reconnect everything, top off the oil tank, and that's it.. sounds logical to me
Thats the ONLY way to know you're getting all the old oil out. Best thing to use is a clear hose. When you see clean oil you're through. With the 80 dollar gadget you won't know.

I'm sure the OP has good intentions but his gadget just doesn't pass the sniff test if he wants to know ALL the old oil is completely gone. If someone really wants to do this, the free/cheap method of connecting a 2 dollar clear hose to the return line is the way to go about this.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:44 PM
2000FiveOh
Tourer

Originally Posted by oct1949
After really thinking about this I retract my statement I said above.

The only time one could really check how much oil stays in the sump by adding the oil the first time filling a brand new dry motor, then Ud knew how much it took to fill it the first time.

I heard and read for yrs that a (New) B motor takes 3 quarts the first time.. So if thats correct, then that would be 96 ozs .

One thing I didn't do was make sure where the oil level was before I started.
It could have been on the lower level of the stick.??

So If I got 80-82 ozs out of the motor (thats drained, spilled, and what the filter keep) and if it was 8 ozs low in the tank It could add up to 90 ozs pretty easy.

That would leave 6 ozs appox in the sump and oil thoughout the motor . Which is what I've read in here this morning that a Harley keeps between 2-6 ozs in the sump.

Which again is 5%-6%.

So, I do believe that U may have to flush 30 ozs of new oil to mix with the 2-6 ozs of old oil thats left in the motor to get what looks like new oil coming out of the motor back into the oil tank.

But I would disagree that there's actually 30 ozs of the old oil still in there to began with.

Still for those who worry about that 2-6 ozs of used oil left in the motor when changing oils, then this method would make U feel better.

There's more left behind than just the sump. You have the entire oiling system including lines and what didn't leave the tank. On the ones we've done it looks like 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart before we see clear oil. But you're right anyway, not worth worrying about. If the oil is changed when it should be, that half a quart is doing NO harm. If the OP sent his old oil in for analysis he'd see that the oil was still doing its job.

I wonder if he changes the air in his tires at every oil change too. While he's at it, he might as well flush his brake lines at every oil change to get all that nasty, old, cruddy brake fluid out.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:13 PM
fmnspooch
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2000FiveOh
Thats the ONLY way to know you're getting all the old oil out. Best thing to use is a clear hose. When you see clean oil you're through. With the 80 dollar gadget you won't know.

The 80 dollar gadget comes with a clear hose...

Quick Reply: Oil scavenger