Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer Glass Removal

Old 02-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Speedometer Glass Removal

Hey Gang,

I have a 2008 Bones with a stock console and speedo. From very early on, I noticed that my speedo sweats inside the glass under certain conditions and over time it has hazed up a bit as the condensation dries on the inside of the glass. I asked about this at the dealer when the bike was pretty new and was told that it was normal.

My question is: If this is normal, is there a way to remove the glass in order to clean the inside? I have never tried to do it and maybe it is easy and maybe it's not possible. Has anyone done it?

Thanks

Old 02-24-2012, 03:34 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Stuff some descant in the hole behind the speedo.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
Stuff some descant in the hole behind the speedo.
Sorry. Not trying to be an *** but I totally didn't get your response. Stuff what in what hole (I can hear the jokes already)? Does this help me remove the glass which is what I was asking?

Old 02-24-2012, 03:58 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Its the stuff that comes in pill bottles to remove moisture. It is silica pellets. Sorry I was giving a suggestion for removing the moisture. You can carefully peal back the foil to remove the bezel. There is a good thread somewhere for swapping the LED's that give a step by step for lens removal. I'll try to find it.

The following users liked this post:
pubscout (07-15-2022)
Old 02-24-2012, 04:01 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

unless he takes the speedo apart and puts the desacant inside it it would not work anyway. Sounds like the seal on your speedo got compromised and now air is in there and the reaction to cetain humidity/temperature causes fogging. My Father in law used to work for a glass company that made double and triple pane windows and they would put a gas in them and seal it so that they would not fog but every once in a while or over time the seal will eventually fail and they would start fogging.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:03 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 08Nighttrain
unless he takes the speedo apart and puts the desacant inside it it would not work anyway. Sounds like the seal on your speedo got compromised and now air is in there and the reaction to cetain humidity/temperature causes fogging. My Father in law used to work for a glass company that made double and triple pane windows and they would put a gas in them and seal it so that they would not fog but every once in a while or over time the seal will eventually fail and they would start fogging.
It does help but not when you ride in the rain. If it didnt id take the speedo apart and swap LED's and put some silica in there.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 08Nighttrain
Well if the seal was compromised (if there ever was a real air tight seal) it happened before I bought the bike because I rode in a major downpour the first weekend I had it and noticed the fogging almost right away. I probably should have pushed for better answers when the bike was new. It's not real bad or anything. Just wanted to see if I could spiffy it up a bit. The fogging has never been bad enough to hinder reading the speedo or any of the other indicators.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:16 PM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my '04 Heritage. It started after I rode in heavy rain when the bike only had about 1,000 miles on it. I tried putting a bunch of the silica desicant packs in a small mesh pouch and put it under the console behind the speedo. Didn't work. I have not tries to remove the glass but have read the post about it. I was thinking of cutting a notch in the plastic speedo housing at the low point to see if it will drain. Never did it though.

I actually found a "new" speedo on E-rape that had the right re-calibrated mileage. Plugged it in and the check engine light would not go out. I've decided to just live with the fog and if/when it sh&ts the bed I'll just buy a new one. If you are successful please post what you did.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:20 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

There are some pics in this thread that show the speedo diss assembled to show you what you are in for. Not too bad.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...uage-leds.html

Old 02-24-2012, 04:30 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Over the yrs that I've read in here its not unusal to get some moisture inside the speedo. A lot of us do, mine also.

and yes I remember some who took them apart and seal it till they thought all was well..

Well most, if I remember right came back with the same problem even after all the work they did to try to fix the problem.

Usually after being in the sun for a short time it goes away,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speedometer Glass Removal