Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Shot Longs are On

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:10 PM
AirBoyzT
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big Shot Longs are On

So replaced the V&H Straight Shots that came on my softail deluxe when I got it, and replaced it finally with the Big Shot Longs I purchased. Here is the massive ordeal that this install that should have taken an hour, an hour 30 tops took 6-7 hours.

First, buddy of mine came over to help, we got the old pipes off with little problem, unwrapped the Big Shot Longs, and VUELA! They have an O2 sensor port on each pipe that my Straight Shots did not have. Of course my bike doesn't have O2 sensors as it is a 2006 FLSTN Carburetor, and of course I ordered my pipes from the local dealership (15% Military Discount got it below what I could on the internet), and they did not say "Hey You need a sensor cover". So Off to Harley to get the 2 sensor plugs, had lunch and then back home to do this again.

Got the heat shields on the new pipes and then tried to install, of course dummy me did not loosen the right floor board like the instructions said, and of course I recently moved and could not find my T45. So off to the Auto Parts store. While there, I decided on a hunch to get some 6" socket extenders (and glad I did).

Finally got the floor board rotated enough to put the big shot longs on and after some back and forth (so glad I had someone helping, this would have been near impossible alone) got them on and everything tightened.

Started her up and sounded beautiful, much deeper and nicer sounding that my Straight Shots. About to shower now and hit the local bar so I can hear the sound out of a garage and see if I notice the power gain.

Sorry picture was taken with iPhone, so may lack clarity. Now just waiting on my cables so I can get the Apes installed!

BTW I think these look way way better than the straight shots!!!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:18 PM
hamdizle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice....I always have a 6 beer time limit......anything after that and quality controll seems to go down hill.....

Old 03-24-2012, 07:24 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good...you are not going to notice any power gains when going with long pipes. After a few brews you may feel some power gain though.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:30 PM
tc1816
Tourer

Looks real good. having the right tools and reading the instructions will always save you time as you have learned. keep up the good work, cant wait to see the new bars.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Jd Swiper
Road Master

Looks great!!!!! Its gonna really look sick once you get your Apes on though!

Old 03-25-2012, 01:48 AM
AirBoyzT
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NC D'LUXE
Looks good...you are not going to notice any power gains when going with long pipes. After a few brews you may feel some power gain though.

Actually did notice significant power gain, it's the BS Longs, and they are technically 2 into 1 with the look of 2 into 2, def work the money over the longshots!

Old 03-25-2012, 05:33 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by NC D'LUXE
Heheh...aint tha the truth

Old 03-25-2012, 06:07 AM
cpc0812
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They look good. IMO these pipes and true duals look like they belong on the Deluxe. Ride safe.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 AM
s.ga.rider
Tourer

I went through the same thing with my big shots except for the plugs but i did it alone and it was a major pita.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:51 AM
VigilantOutlaw
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Congrats, They do sound great!! I had the V&H BSL installed last week along with the Arlen Ness Big Sucker. Much deeper sound, I'm pleased!

Quick Reply: Big Shot Longs are On