Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Year Softail. 1984 FXST

Old 04-20-2014, 10:43 AM
LBH
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job. The fxst is my favorite Harley of all time and what I wanted as soon as the came out with it

Old 12-21-2016, 03:02 PM
Bartender
Club Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 390 Posts

Love the restoration of your FXST!

Just thought I would post this here.

There is a guy in Tennessee that's selling a 84 softail right now on eBay.
Note: I don't know this guy or have any affiliation with him and have nothing to gain by posting this other then wanting to see it go to someone that would appreciate it.

Anyway,
Looks like this bike will sell for cheap.
The bike looks like it's all there except the pipes and carb. And he said he has the carb. 11,000 miles, original paint. No reserve.

Thing is, this guy wants immediate payment and he has NO HISTORY with eBay.
If I were closer I would be bidding on this bike but I'm in So Cal so I'm hoping someone here will be able to ****** it up. And that's if you live close enough to this guy to convince him that you can be there with his cash shortly and get the bike.

I personally have a problem sending cash to someone that has no history on eBay or I'd be jumping on this one myself and have it shipped to me. So beware, be carful.

Here's the auction number. 232180670800
The auction will end Friday morning. It's at 2,400 right now, but honestly, I don't think it will go over 4,000 since the guy wants cash and he has no selling history.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:25 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,751 Likes on 766 Posts

What a beaut!! The Softail (particularly ST Custom in '86) is what turned me onto HD. I still have a picture from the '84 mini catalogue taped to the front of my toolbox!

It took me 20 years, but I got mine in '05. A Night Train. I had wanted an ST Custom, but they had discontinued that model in 05. The salesman at the dealer asked me about the Night Train. I was hesitant at first, as to me HDs were about chrome, heheh... after thinking it over, I decided that everyone has chromed out HDs, but not many are all black - this was before the "every model gets the blacked out treatment" thing - so I pulled the trigger on Reaper. And then basically turned her into a blacked out ST Custom!

Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
vicsponjr (01-22-2023)
Old 12-23-2016, 11:46 PM
Bartender
Club Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 390 Posts

That 84 FXST went for 3,650.00 today.
Someone stole it. Anyone here bid on it?

Old 03-09-2019, 05:45 PM
Phoenix22
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a seriously dead thread! As an old guy I have too many irons in the fire and once again left a gap of many years between my last post and now. I guess I don't have much to offer here.

I still have the second Harley I've ever bought; my 84 Softail, bought new for cash. I loved it and so I never had any reason to part with it or get a different one. I still have it although my passion for it (and riding in general) has diminished over the years. That is due primarily to living two miles off pavement on a gravel road and not being able to keep it pristine like I did when I lived in town. Gravel and the dust that it causes is extremely hard on a bike. Having to wash it after leaving home to ride and again upon getting home was getting very time consuming and ultimately it was a losing battle. Pit's, chips, dust covered drive chain... it got miserable. Basically the overall Harley experience has been diluted as time has gone by, at least around here in corn country.

When I was riding I liked to ride, wrenching came in a distant second but was something I was comfortable doing whenever the need arose. Having something 'custom' was a very distant third. However, in my eyes, anything that is done to alter the looks from stock by ones own hands is custom. In that respect my bike was as custom as they come. Mostly a chopper in it's truest sense, I had removed as much as I could from my bike early on to get it as light and nimble as an 8' long motorcycle can be. As such, the stock exhaust was extremely heavy and hit the dumpster within weeks after getting it 'broke-in' and a couple of shortshort goose necks were put on. The helpless stock carb and the turn signals were removed (but saved all these years) and a Super B was put in there and it has no turn signals to this day. The electronic ignition was converted to points way back when (but has a Crane Hi4 and dual coils now that I hate), I might go back to the points if I ever decide to ride again. The bike ended up, in stock form, doing 12 seconds flat in the quarter mile (many times 11.8XX to 12.2XX). Not seriously great but not bad for an early Evo when built Shovels (98ci) were going slower than that on pump gas.

I can't verify those times but the first year Evo's were severely choked by the carb/exhaust/electronic ignition combination from the factory. I believe they rated the softail at 68hp or less? With these simple changes it hit about +/-89hp on the dyno on average with crappy pump gas and the stock cam. When I took it to the strip (frequently) I would put 101 octane in it. I once added about two ounces of nitro-methane to half a tank of gas and it hit even lower ET's but a slower time because of a skyhigh wheely at the line. Not sure if that was even enough nitro to make any kind of a difference or the tire/track conditions came together just right to give me awesome traction during that one run. I was running it as a hardtail that night too with my home-created hardtail kit.

Anyway, I was just checking in after a long absence. Not that anyone missed me, but I was just feeling a bit nostalgic.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:40 PM
Fat Boy T
5th Gear

Phoenix, glad you brought this thread back around. I had that same '84, same Red color. Ended up riding it till I traded for a '88 Softail Custom. Wish I still had it today.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:10 PM
Max Jaeger
Stage I
Default 84' fxst

Originally Posted by mrlexus
That is very true. This bike draws pretty much no attention, almost nobody knows its significance in Harley history. I've wondered if my time and money would have been better spent on an old pan or knuckle. Oh well, I still think its a sweet ride, and I guess that's really all that matters anyways.

I think the only thing left is to paint the dash black. All the stock photos I have found show a black dash and the parts book says "dash, black" also. Any of the guys that bought these new remember what yours came with??
I just noticed your site, and post. I appreciate your restoration on this model because I have an all original Red 83 1/2' Softail, , 4 spd, kick start chain drive. Bought it new. The differences I see in your restoration is as mentioned before the pegs, the air cleaner cover that says "80 Cubic Inch Softail. The dash paint is "black wrinkle finish " The rocker boxes were not chromed, nor was the primary cover (which yours are not). mine didn't come with a sissy bar, or any other leather bags.
Your lucky to still have the seat with the small ribs, that would be really hard to find. the first thing most people notice is the kick start pedal, then they "What year is this?
You have a great looking bike that will only go up in value.
I'm an Architectural Blacksmith, and I had the pleasure of meeting Von Beals & his wife when they moved to Arizona. I did the hand forged iron work on their new home. In our conversations Von told me the story of how he and 4 other engineers (including Willie G) that were working AMF were able to buy the Harley company from them, and turn it into what it has become. The 1st FXST was a mix of shovelhead lower end & transmission, and new evo top end. They had to come up with something new and reliable after waiting for almost two yrs for Porche to send them a new design engine. The engine they sent didn't fit a bike frame, or run properly. Von passed away about 2 yrs ago. he was a great guy, one of us, and not a bureaucrat.