Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D&D Fatcat rubbing against Derby Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Five7Hemi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D&D Fatcat rubbing against Timer Cover?

Hey guys. Just got a D&D fatcat and installed it on my bike tonight.

Only concern I'm having is that it is right up against my *timer*. When installing it, I put a piece of electrical tape in between, and that seems to be the only thing stopping them from touching.

I started the bike up and don't seem to have any leaks at all, so I know they are tight enough.

The only thing I can really think of is to loosen it a bit, have someone pull the pipe away from the derby cover a bit, and then tighten it while they do that.

Just wanted to know if any body else has experienced this problem, and if so what they did.

I threw a few pictures on so maybe you can see what I'm talking about. Also threw a pic up of the bike. The heat shields aren't on yet, but I am happy with how it looks.

Thanks for any help!

Attached Thumbnails D&D Fatcat rubbing against Derby Cover?-touching.jpg   D&D Fatcat rubbing against Derby Cover?-touching-2.jpg   D&D Fatcat rubbing against Derby Cover?-bike-with-fatcat-on.jpg  

Last edited by Five7Hemi; 03-29-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Correction: timer cover not derby cover
Old 03-29-2012, 07:27 PM
SeMiGoD
Tourer

Not a derby cover Sir but a timer cover...not sure what 1 would do about that but as you suggested already, have someone hold it as you retorque it. Good luck man!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Five7Hemi
Cruiser

Thank you for the correction.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Bullbutch
Cruiser

It almost looks like the wrong pipes. I'd get the model number for the pipes you put on from off the box and call D&D and make sure they are for your bike. Did you order them directly from D&D?

Old 03-29-2012, 07:36 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Mine does the same and has worn a large cup into the cover. Doesnt bother me too much though. I'll take a pic if you like.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 PM
joejack
Cruiser

I had this issue also, make sure the pipe is fully seated in the exhaust port and tighten from the rear to the front. You may have to run an extra set of exhaust gaskets to get the clearance.

The original head pipe I had was slightly out of spec and they had to send me a new one. Give Leonard a call at D&D if you can't get it to clear. Just so you know, it is gonna be very close tolerances from the timer cover even with proper fitment, but it should not touch.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Five7Hemi
Cruiser

I actually bought it off of user 2008crossbones, who...had it on a 2008 crossbones. he said that he only had about 1/8 of an inch of clearance, suggested that I lossen it up, have someone pull back on it, while I re-tighten. So I'm gonna try that tomorrow.

Soft 02- a picture would be most appreciated.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Bullbutch
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Five7Hemi
I actually bought it off of user 2008crossbones, who...had it on a 2008 crossbones. he said that he only had about 1/8 of an inch of clearance, suggested that I lossen it up, have someone pull back on it, while I re-tighten. So I'm gonna try that tomorrow.

What year is your Bones? Im gonna be selling my Samsons and going with the D&D soon as well.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Five7Hemi
Cruiser

Seems like a lot of people are having the problem, but each finding their own solutions.

I'll tell you that the sound I got from it has exceeded what I thought it would. As I was getting it on, it started snowing (Damn mother nature in NY), so I haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet. Plus, I wanted to check with everyone here about the timer cover before I ran it.

I'll let you know how I like it though.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:46 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Five7Hemi

Here's my pic I just took. 40,000 miles on this pipe. What looks like a shadow is about a 1/16 deep and a quarter size round divit.

Attached Thumbnails D&D Fatcat rubbing against Derby Cover?-2012-03-29_17-38-07_909.jpg  

Quick Reply: D&D Fatcat rubbing against Derby Cover?