Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake doesn't work please help

Old 03-31-2012, 10:01 AM
eric2011Deluxe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake doesn't work please help

Replaced front brake cable and cilyndet and now the brakes don't work at all. If I open up the bleeder screw a litle fluid comes out but I pump the brake lever while open no fluid comes out. Is the fluid not making to the caliper?

I didn't use the HD DOT 4, could that be the problem? I did use a defferent brand DOT 4 fluid that i had. Whats the procedure when replacing both cilynder and cable.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:19 AM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure what you mean by front brake cable? The brake lever activated the piston in the master cylinder which pumps brake fluid through the brake line (hose - part metal, part rubber) to the piston in the caliper. Provided you used DOT 4 that isn't your issue.

I'd be willing to bet you still have a bunch of air in the system. Bleed, bleed, bleed, bleed and then when you think you might have it bleed some more. Since you say the brake doesn't work at all there must be a good size bubble(s) of air in the lines.

Remember, if you let the brake fluid in the master cylinder drop too low while you're bleeding you'll actually pump more air back into the system.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:27 AM
sagebrush1976
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like you're not getting them bled well enough. I just replaced my front brake line and it took about 15 minutes of pumping/bleeding to get the firm brake pressure that I wanted. DO NOT pump the brakes while the bleeder is open. You are pulling air back in to the system everytime you do it. A lot of people swear by the little mini vacuum pumps to bleed the brakes but I've never tried one.

And yeah.....DOT 4 fluid is all the same. It doesn't matter whos name is on the container. It's all manufactured to the same standards.

Last edited by sagebrush1976; 03-31-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:48 AM
chiefe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With bleeder screw closed pump brake lever until firm. Continue to hold lever(easier with a second set of hands) and crack bleeder allowing air to release from system them tighten bleeder. Brake lever will compress to bars. Repeat process until all air is released from system. Important note, always top up fluid reservoir and don't let it run dry.
Cheers!

Old 03-31-2012, 11:12 AM
eric2011Deluxe
Cruiser

Soundd like I screwwed up by pumping the lever when I had the bleeder screw opened and allowing more air into the system. I will bleed and bleed untull simething happens :-)

Question: does brake fluid go baf after a while of storing? (1 year ago last time it was used)

Thank you all hope this is it.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:21 AM
sagebrush1976
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by eric2011Deluxe
Soundd like I screwwed up by pumping the lever when I had the bleeder screw opened and allowing more air into the system. I will bleed and bleed untull simething happens :-)

Question: does brake fluid go baf after a while of storing? (1 year ago last time it was used)

Thank you all hope this is it.
Didn't "screw anything up" by pumping with bleeder open...just made a little extra work for yourself that's all. We've all done something like that then looked back and wondered wtf were we thinking. Live and learn!

As far as the fluid going bad. I don't think its an issue. As long as the container stayed sealed and no contaminants got it....water, dirt or debris....it will be fine.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:16 PM
chiefe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't "screw anything up" by pumping with bleeder open...just made a little extra work for yourself that's all. We've all done something like that then looked back and wondered wtf were we thinking. Live and learn!
You'll be fine, it's a simple process. Once you have done it a couple times, you will be a pro. Also a little tip, get a piece of tubing that slips over the bleeder and place the other end in a catch can. That way you won't be pissing brake fluid all over your ride.
Cheers!

Old 03-31-2012, 12:26 PM
eric2011Deluxe
Cruiser

Do I screw the reservoir top on when I bleed it or keep it off?

Old 03-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Maybe you did not line up the banjo bolts properly when you reassembled them. Remember that they have holes in them to pass the fluid from reservoir to the disc setup.

I have personally done this and had to use a Sharpie to make sure flow was restored and the stoppers operated so I didn't meet the person in front of me.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:08 PM
eric2011Deluxe
Cruiser

Where is the hole suppose to be? 90%?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front brake doesn't work please help