Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I tell if my bike was tuned properly for Heavy Breather + Thunderheader?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:33 AM
stackovrflo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I tell if my bike was tuned properly for Heavy Breather + Thunderheader?

I just imported a 2011 Forty-Eight from Seattle to BC. This is my first H-D so I didn't ask all the right questions before making the purchase. The previous owner installed the SE Heavy Breather and Thunderheader pipe. 2700 miles. The ride home was fine, occasional popping in decel, great power accelerating, the idling did seem weak at times. With no bolt-on tuner (PCV, FuelPak, etc...) I am concerned that the 2700 miles could have run the engine too hot. Should I just buy a PCV, download the data from the ECM and see if it was tuned properly? Am I being overly concerned? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, since no one else wants to jump on this I guess I'll throw my 2 cents out there. If a dealership flashes the ecm to compensate for the addition of a performance exhaust and intake, the download is intended as simply a good enough to get you by deal. The same goes for generic maps for programmers. To get the most of any tuner the bike needs to by put on a dyno and properly tuned. Now that being said, if the bike was setup and tuned int the U.S. and then you import it to BC elevation and atmospheric differences will affect the tune although I'm sure there is not much difference between Seattle and BC. Example: If I tune my bike for optimum performance and fuel efficiency at let's say 200' above sea level here in central/eastern Texas then take it riding in the North West up in the Rocky Mountains then the same tune is not going to provide the same results. Sure, it will still run alright but not like it did down here in Texas. Just a few points to consider.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:39 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is is too late for a phone call to the seller to ask whether they did an ECM flash?

Old 04-02-2012, 10:18 PM
kaynine840
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can pull the spark plugs out and look at their color. for correct fuel/air mixture, a nice golden brown tan color is what you are looking for. if it is running too lean or hot, you will have more of a white color. and if it is running too rich, the plugs will be covered in black soot.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:09 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kaynine840
you can pull the spark plugs out and look at their color. for correct fuel/air mixture, a nice golden brown tan color is what you are looking for. if it is running too lean or hot, you will have more of a white color. and if it is running too rich, the plugs will be covered in black soot.

Although you are on the right track there is technically a lot more to it than that when reading plugs.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:15 AM
kaynine840
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
Although you are on the right track there is technically a lot more to it than that when reading plugs.
its a good place to start. the plugs will tell you if you have a good fuel/air mixture or not. you seem to know more than i do, why dont you give this guy some insight on what he should be looking for?

Old 04-03-2012, 05:06 AM
wagon50
Tourer

I dont think your going to able to just do a ecm reflash with a thunderheader if you had slip ones you would be fine you need a tunner

Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 446 Likes on 309 Posts

With a Heavy Breather and a Thunderheader you will definately need a tune on the bike. Those things flow way to much for the stock set up to compensate for.

I have both on my Night Train and had to have a custom map done to make it run like it should.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:39 AM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had my stealer do a custom tune on my 11 fatboy lo. V&H 2-2 BR and Heavy Breather. They gave me a dyno printout that looked good. I still think they didn't do it. Maybe I am paranoid. I have a lot of popping when I let of the throttle. Gas mileage did get worse after the tune.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:47 AM
stackovrflo
Advanced

Originally Posted by mswing1234
Is is too late for a phone call to the seller to ask whether they did an ECM flash?
Good idea. Email has been sent and awaiting reply.

Quick Reply: How can I tell if my bike was tuned properly for Heavy Breather + Thunderheader?