Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slim / blackline sissy bar - turn signal modification and license plate relocate

Old 04-04-2012, 01:41 PM
coleslaw140
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slim / blackline sissy bar - turn signal modification and license plate relocate

Does anyone know what the best method for installing detachable hardware for a sissybar ( backrest For the wife ) on a 2012 slim would be?

I believe the problem is with the detach levers on the sissy bar and that they interfere with the billet turn signals - the license plate is also attached to the billet turn signals.

Right now I am considering installing a HD mod which reduces the size of the turn the signal bracket (i am not sure on the kit number, but it reduces the size of each billet bracket to allow for proper clearance).

When I install that mod I will also have to relocate the liscense plate ... I am looking for a good swing arm vertical plate with led light that doesn't interfere with the swing arm bag.

Any help would be appreciated . I would like to keep it as simple as possible to maintain the "stripped down" look of the slim. Let me know if you have any ideas / thoughts....

Thanks,

Cole

Last edited by coleslaw140; 04-04-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:12 PM
ste
Novice

Originally Posted by coleslaw140
Does anyone know what the best method for installing detachable hardware for a sissybar ( backrest For the wife ) on a 2012 slim would be?

I believe the problem is with the detach levers on the sissy bar and that they interfere with the billet turn signals - the license plate is also attached to the billet turn signals.

Right now I am considering installing a HD mod which reduces the size of the turn the signal bracket (i am not sure on the kit number, but it reduces the size of each billet bracket to allow for proper clearance).

When I install that mod I will also have to relocate the liscense plate ... I am looking for a good swing arm vertical plate with led light that doesn't interfere with the swing arm bag.

Any help would be appreciated . I would like to keep it as simple as possible to maintain the "stripped down" look of the slim. Let me know if you have any ideas / thoughts....

Thanks,

Cole
You need this one: Turn Signal Relocation Kit P/N 54296-11
I had to install them on my Slim for same reason (sissy bar and bags).

To be honest, it's not the most elegant feature of the bike... but so far I had no other choices.

Ciao.
Stefano.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:22 PM
coleslaw140
Novice

Originally Posted by ste
You need this one: Turn Signal Relocation Kit P/N 54296-11
I had to install them on my Slim for same reason (sissy bar and bags).

To be honest, it's not the most elegant feature of the bike... but so far I had no other choices.

Ciao.
Stefano.
Not planning on putting on saddlebags so thankfully I do not have to do that relocation - I agree with the fact that it is not very "elegant" - I want to keep the stripped down look of my old 48 which was used for the down payment on the slim.

The billet tail light modification kit is a new HD product which swaps out the trangular looking plastic mount on each light for a "rod" like mount which allows for the detachable hardware clearance.

I am planning on getting this mod - just need to figure out which license plate relocation kit to purchase.. so far I like the kuryakyn glossy black horizontal mount, but I am unsure if it will fit with my solo swing arm bag.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/415...e-Plate-Mounts

Does anyone have this liscnese plate kit?

Last edited by coleslaw140; 04-04-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Firezapper
Cruiser

I have the replacement kit.
Name:  48fd2e25.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  1.94 MB

They are not the best. Not enough room for the 3 wires and the dealer had to drill them out a little. Well after 3 on each side breaking I got fed up. Got a side mount plate and removed 1 wire from the rod. No more broken parts.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:00 PM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the one piece sissy bar on my fatboy lo. Instead of relocating the signals, I ground down the bottom of the latch area and it worked great. There was a thread on that mod somewhere. Not sure if you could do the same for your model of bike and kit.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 PM
coleslaw140
Novice

Originally Posted by trnewman
I installed the one piece sissy bar on my fatboy lo. Instead of relocating the signals, I ground down the bottom of the latch area and it worked great. There was a thread on that mod somewhere. Not sure if you could do the same for your model of bike and kit.
What did you use to grind down the detachable hardware? What if it is a one piece sissy bar? Did you have to powder coat the detachable hardware after grinding it down?

I have looked for details on this mod.. Does anyone have a link ???

Thanks,

Cole

Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 PM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just used a bench grinder and a sharpie to color the ends

Old 04-06-2012, 09:55 PM
TheJoker78
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

How about custom making one? As I am going down that route for a sissy bar and at least you can keep the current setup, just a thought.

Plus it would be one of a kind and you wont see them everywhere

Old 04-09-2012, 02:26 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Course its swing arm mounted.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:06 PM
xdaltonx
Cruiser

ive got an extra brand new blackline onepiece sissy bar for sale if interested. im running the rod relocation kit for the blinkers also. there not that bad. as stated the wires are a tight fit going threw the rod though. tip if installing yourself. soap and water to lube the wires. and when tightening the blinker to the rod, pop out the little reflector piece and spin it so you dont twist the wires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: slim / blackline sissy bar - turn signal modification and license plate relocate