Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Softailo Hand Control Wiring

Old 04-05-2012, 03:42 PM
mpeterbult
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Softailo Hand Control Wiring

I don't know if I am doing something wrong to see if I have any responses so I am going to try to post my problem again and hopefully someone has the answer.

I changed the bars on my 06 Night Train. I ordered a new set of switches that were already in the housing and had a 48" harness. Everything went well in disassebly and I plugged everything in. All I have is start, headlight, high beam and tail light. I don't have brake light, turn signals dash, speedo or horn. All of the wires leading from the new harness to the bike harness match going in and out. I used a test light to see if there was power on the bike side of the harness. On the left the horn showed light and on the righ the power. None of the oters showed any power. I checked all of these with the tank off. I guess I am at a loss with it. I don't know of any fuse or anything else that could have been unplugged. Any and all help is appreciated.

I have been looking everything over and most everything that does not work is connected to the orange/white wire on both sides. Maybe that will help me get an answer. Thank you.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,430 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Manual has the wiring into the deutsch connector which is number, kinda bullet proof for error. Pinched wire, maybe one didnt seat...who knows, just have to take ur time and track it down.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:35 PM
mpeterbult
Stage IV

Thank you. Yes, all the pins are seated correctly and all the wire colors match in and out of the connection. The orange/white wire is were the problem is I believe. It ties in with the controls that are not working. Funny thing is that 6 out of 10 times, when I turn the ingnition on, the front and rear turns flash very fast like and alarm and does it maybe 4 times. So they are getting power from somewere sometimes. I have taken my time to look at everthing there is and I can't find the problem. If anyone is near Mason City IOWA, let me know. I need help. Thank you again.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 PM
SeMiGoD
Tourer

Is it possible you got a bum harness? Might i suggest testing the wire all the way up the harness tapping into it at whatever incraments you see fit with a tester?

Old 04-06-2012, 06:42 AM
mpeterbult
Stage IV

That is something I have not tested yet but will this morning. I guess I didn't do it as when the harness is disconnected, I tested the main harness on the bike that it connects to. That is were there was no power. I will check it either way though. Thank you.