Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydaulic Tensioners shot at 20k!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 04:17 PM
The88Beast04
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hydraulic part was never a real solution to the end problem. It just helps logevity of a known problem with the system.

Bought my bike with 12k, told him I wanted to go gear drive right at 20k instead of just having them checked. Good thing I did because he said as soon as he got in there, the inner pad was worn to the point of replacement. So not I didn't make him tear that thing down just to replace the pads - I got nice gears that I never have to worry about, AND with the cam I chose I got a great torque boost from my stock 88 block. It's win-win to go gear and never look back.

Even scarier was the story I heard of someone's pads going at 10k!
I thought I was chancing it to wait until 20k...
I'm so glad I researched about Harley and their bikes in general before owning and during that first year. I feel bad for the guys who just ride it thinking it's a Toyota Corolla and it needs nothing and runs forever on magic.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:46 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I only changed my tensioners to hydraulic as the oil pump was damaged with excessive crank runout when I scissored my flywheels. As said earlier the 1st set of tensioners failed at 26k. The were wor past the indicators into metal and when I removed the cam cover at 53k the 2nd set still looked good. I believe the new chains have sharp edges that eataway at the tensioner as the tensioner polishes the chain. By the time you install the 2nd set of pads the now smoother chain will allow the pads to last longer.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 AM
ThaiTony
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam upgrde parts lists

Hi Guys for those interested, here are 2 parts lists to the upgrade including the inner chains, which are not part of the Harley kit. I have gone through the part numbers and they all match. I left them both together because both have different side notes which may be useful.

Also The oil pump listed in the kit are '07 models which are more efficient than the earlier ones. However there is a SE one which is even more efficient P/N 6200001.

Here are the links to the (2) HD instruction sheets

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J05336.pdf

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04804.pdf

Hope this helps

Tony

Attached Files
Old 01-02-2014, 09:45 AM
ThaiTony
Advanced

Sorry missed a number from the SE oil pump, which interestingly enough is cheaper than the '07 pump the correct number is 62400001

Old 05-25-2015, 04:15 AM
Black Viper
6th Gear
Default patent issues are why we deal with tensioner pads

I was told by my HD tech that the reason HD doesn't just come right out with gear driven cams out of the box is due to patents that prohibit the process. Seems HD could still come up with a better idea than tensioner pads but anyway, that is what I was told.

My bike has 37500 miles & tech, after a recent inspection, said I should be good to 80,000. If that actually happens, then I don't feel so bad about the whole issue.

Last edited by Black Viper; 05-25-2015 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:48 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Viper
I was told by my HD tech that the reason HD doesn't just come right out with gear driven cams out of the box is due to patents that prohibit the process. Seems HD could still come up with a better idea than tensioner pads but anyway, that is what I was told.

My bike has 38500 miles & tech, after a recent inspection, said I should be good to 80,000. If that actually happens, then I don't feel so bad about the whole issue.
Using someone elses patented process is only a matter of paying a royalty for the right to use it. My Porsche has belt driven engine balancers patented by Mitsubishi, so Porsche paid about $8 a car to use the technology.

The Harley problem as I understand it was noise. The motor is already so mechanically noisy that HD couldn't use gear drive cams and still pass EPA limits. The other factor is cost. I suspect that gear drive is more expensive and Harley realizes that most of their bikes will never see 30,000 miles in their lifetime. Thirdly, once Harley weakened the crank support (starting on '03,) the 'run out' considered acceptable is too severe to run gear drives. Back in '99-02, runout never exceeded .003" or Harley warranted the motor. Today they says .012" is acceptable. Gear drive should run at .004" or less.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:05 AM
Black Viper
6th Gear

Thanks Stiggy for the input!

The issue is quite a mess as I see it. But I'm optimistic that things will work out. I love my Harley and will continue to maintain it and ride it as I please. I have a 5 year service plan and have been prepping my garage to do my own work on my bike once the plan runs its course. I plan to ride the hell out of it!

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Using someone elses patented process is only a matter of paying a royalty for the right to use it. My Porsche has belt driven engine balancers patented by Mitsubishi, so Porsche paid about $8 a car to use the technology.

The Harley problem as I understand it was noise. The motor is already so mechanically noisy that HD couldn't use gear drive cams and still pass EPA limits. The other factor is cost. I suspect that gear drive is more expensive and Harley realizes that most of their bikes will never see 30,000 miles in their lifetime. Thirdly, once Harley weakened the crank support (starting on '03,) the 'run out' considered acceptable is too severe to run gear drives. Back in '99-02, runout never exceeded .003" or Harley warranted the motor. Today they says .012" is acceptable. Gear drive should run at .004" or less.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:07 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks Stiggy for the input!

The issue is quite a mess as I see it. But I'm optimistic that things will work out. I love my Harley and will continue to maintain it and ride it as I please. I have a 5 year service plan and have been prepping my garage to do my own work on my bike once the plan runs its course. I plan to ride the hell out of it!
Exactly the approach that HD is counting on...

Old 05-25-2015, 01:26 PM
Black Viper
6th Gear

It is a great marketing scheme; but hey, if you are going to buy a bike I assume it is to ride it? Besides, I've looked at other bike companies and they just don't grab me. Like Polaris, their engines have more springs than a 1940 mattress. Nothing is perfect...

Originally Posted by cwsharp
Exactly the approach that HD is counting on...

Old 05-26-2015, 06:33 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

My bike has 37500 miles & tech, after a recent inspection, said I should be good to 80,000. If that actually happens, then I don't feel so bad about the whole issue.
Harley uses gear drive on the four cam sporster, so... Its all about tolerances or the lack of it and like stiggy said noise.
This thread is about my bike, and I am still having problems, I have about sixty k on the hybrid kit and have been in the cam chest ever year since it was put in.
Last time in to put in zippers tentioners to try and quiet it down.
Within the next week or so I am going to rip out the whole kit and going to the 06+ cam plate and the Andrews n series 21s.
Getting all my parts together as I write this.
I seem to be the only one having so much problems with this kit, so I am not going to condemn it, maybe I am just unlucky.
But good riddance.

Quick Reply: Hydaulic Tensioners shot at 20k!!!