Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydaulic Tensioners shot at 20k!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:16 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default cam tensioners

I just upgraded my tensioners the old ones had 20,000 on them and were in great shape. I change my oil every 1000 miles don't know if that helped.i have always felt that there should have been a recall and they should have kicked in for the new setup. Harley really pulls some **** at times . in 05 the valve guides were a problem and people were using oil like a quart or less in a thousand miles. Harley came out with a bulletin saying it was normal for the bike to use a quart in a 1000 miles never heard such bullshit in my life. Before harley had a syn oil it was not recommend right after they picked up one and added it to there sales it was then ok. its funny how they change things to there needs. man it would be nice if we could get a class action going on this.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:03 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
I followed the refer back over here.

This was a Screaming Eagle kit, the instructions that cam with the kit said to use the old chain. I was not trying to be cheap, if they had told me to buy a new chain and cam, then I would have gone a different way, gears, or gone with the new inner chain.
I am not whinning, I am just passing on my experience.
This was done over a year ago and the kit was fairly new, and I was one of the first to install it and write about it.
Yeah... I went out and looked in my replaced parts box. No inner chain. After thinking about it, the Andrews cams that I bought didn't come with a chain. So I still have the old style chain. If I had thought that it was the chains instead of the shoes I would have done more research. There is an Andrews cam kit (and I believe one from HD also) that converts the inner chain to a roller chain. Screwed again by HD cutting corners and hiding the truth.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

Originally Posted by pdfiddler
I'm at 73,500 and all is well. '08 Heritage.
You should note that your 08 should have roller chain.
Not sure what BLBbrian is quoteing has or quoteing 48k on.

A qoute is worthless unless you quote link chain or roller. Also we are not talking gear set up since that is an option but noisy if you have quite exhaust. HA who has but me? (Plus I am way to cheep to go that way)
Actually just replacing shoes on link is only about $120 in parts. Probably do not even need a gasket. I did one for a buddy for a BK wopper and drink (they were not really warn out at 45K but my friend his the rev limit on his bike in the first few gears) They were half way and we though might as well since it was apart. Note that I seldom exceed 3000 in any gear except 5th.

WHAT IS STRANGE HERE TO ME IS SOMEONE POST HIS MECHANIC SAID HE OUGHT TO REPLACE THEM AND THE PERSON HAS A NEW BIKE WITH ROLLER. NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY THEY CANNOT GET AROUND THAT AND SPEND $600-$1200. TO FIX WHAT IS NOT BROKEN. SEEN IT OVER AND OVER ON HERE. ACTUALLY MAKES YOU FILL LIKE YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME. THIS HAS BEEN ONE TIME MOST PEOPLE AGREE.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-09-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Poor grammer. SORRY
Old 04-09-2012, 12:25 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If this would have come to light sooner I would have just replaced the original tensioners instead of going with the SE upgrade kit

Old 04-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Not sure how many of you read hot bike but I recently wrote to them on their lates article on are subject. They have not got back with me.

You will need the magazine if you want to see article. Good pictures.

Dear Sirs,

Reference June 2012 volume number 6 44 TECH article Lower End Hop Up

I am at a loss on why you would spend $1343 in new part including sprockets on the cams for the old style link chain rather the the newer roller chain. Just in case you do not know the tensioners will last 100k for a roller. 20K for a link if you run it hard.

Also just my opinion but saving money on the install by using adjustable push rods is crazy also when the stock are lighter and can never come loose. Unless the slightly extra lift of the cams did not fall in the range of the lifters..

A magazine of your caliber and knowledge should know better. You would have been better off doing nothing. Yet you are telling readers to spend $1343 and save $30 on a chain only to have to check it ever 15-20K

George
VA

Old 04-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

That is weird as my hydraulic tensioners are white. It's been about 10k since I did the full hydraulic upgrade. I'll have to pull it apart when I get a chance and see how the tensioners look. I am very curious.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hogpro
That is weird as my hydraulic tensioners are white. It's been about 10k since I did the full hydraulic upgrade. I'll have to pull it apart when I get a chance and see how the tensioners look. I am very curious.
What to you is a full hydraulic upgrade.? You do say year or mention what parts did you replace and what the replacements were. I am now starting to wonder do they make cams that use a roller chain on the inner side for the 04 twinCam 88 motor. Sorry CWsharpe if it appears I have stolen your post.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-09-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
If you look closely you can see why this happened like this in this case. It appears someone updated the system with a roller chain on the out side last time. This is in the upgrade kit. You can see the roller chain wear on the outer one. However the cams need replaced to update to roller on inner one and hence it wears just like link chain ones. Been trying to tell everone on here that you either need to check and monitor link chain wear or convert completely roller inner and outer. Its not the new hydralic that fixes the problem. It's the chain. The roller ones will go 100K. JUST MY OPINION.
Hey ripsaw, tell me is there any way that you can replace the inner chain and cam to roller with the upgrade kit?
I know that this kit is designed to be used with the old style ball/roller outer bearings and the 07+ run on the Parent material.
Can a set of 07 cams be fitted with the old style bearings?

Old 04-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Hey ripsaw, tell me is there any way that you can replace the inner chain and cam to roller with the upgrade kit?
I know that this kit is designed to be used with the old style ball/roller outer bearings and the 07+ run on the Parent material.
Look up at 27 .. I just ask that 2 seconds before you ask me. Heck if I know. I only know how to replace worn out with similar new not worn outstuff. Also I am talking about roller chain and link chain. Do not confuse this with roller bearings or ball bearings.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-09-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

in order to use a rollar chain in the rear with an old style bearings you need new cams. Woods has a kit I believeas do Andrews with cams to match. I even think SE makes the same stuff now to convert the old style over. The rollar chain needs a thinner gear on the cam. It's not like it has all been written before all over the web. The chains are the problem, some are worse than others thats why the shoes wear faster on some than on others. BTW the newer camplates with cams have upgraded bearings for the front of the cams too. Better than new.

Quick Reply: Hydaulic Tensioners shot at 20k!!!