Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Oil Level with 2" drop and Ricors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:49 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fork Oil Level with 2" drop and Ricors?

I just got my Ricors and want to install this weekend. Can anyone tell me how many ounces of oil per each fork? The forks already have a 2" progressive drop. I borrowed a fork oil level guage from a buddy, What setting do I use on the guage to get the oil level exact on each fork? Thanks

Stone

Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 PM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's more important that the oil level is the same in each, good thing you have the gauge.

Can't tell you how much oil to put in, but it would be good to maintain the same air space that you had before. That air space is another spring that can be tweaked by changing the level.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:28 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1. I'm running the same setup and IIRC, the Progressive kit recommends filling the oil based on the OEM manual, which was something like 7.25" air space with springs removed, shock vertical and fully extended? Check me on that though, I don't have the manual in front of me. Don't forget to cycle the shocks a few times as you're filling to move the oil past the Ricor for an accurate reading.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Ricor Shocks
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t stone
I just got my Ricors and want to install this weekend. Can anyone tell me how many ounces of oil per each fork? The forks already have a 2" progressive drop. I borrowed a fork oil level guage from a buddy, What setting do I use on the guage to get the oil level exact on each fork? Thanks

Stone
On your bike with the 41mm forks use a 6" air gap with the forks fully compressed before dropping the INTIMINATOR in.

Brian

Old 04-12-2012, 02:27 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jreichart
+1. I'm running the same setup and IIRC, the Progressive kit recommends filling the oil based on the OEM manual, which was something like 7.25" air space with springs removed, shock vertical and fully extended? Check me on that though, I don't have the manual in front of me. Don't forget to cycle the shocks a few times as you're filling to move the oil past the Ricor for an accurate reading.
So when you drop the Ricors down into the fork tube do I need to worry about it being cocked or will it sit right so when i put the springs back in, it will be ok and sit over the Ricor with no question?

Stone

Old 04-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

It will sit straight. It will not fit in if crooked.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:35 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both Ricor and Progressive say to use the factory oil levels. The levels are measured with springs removed and forks vertical and fully compressed. According to my 05 manual FLSTF, FLSTC, FLSTN are 4.72" : FXST, FXSTB are 7.28" : FXSTD is 7.48". This is measured from the top of the tube to the oil level as noted above. Be sure to use the 5w with the Ricors. Hope this helps!

No issues dropping in the Ricors. They fit perfectly and don't rack. Just be sure to fill oil to above the damper rod so they don't go crashing into it when you drop em in. Press them into place with the springs, then cycle the shock a few times to work out any air trapped under them. Pull the spring back out, and fill to proper levels and reassemble.

Last edited by jreichart; 04-12-2012 at 03:39 PM.