Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Axle Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 06:18 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Default A bunch of fatboy questions

Changing the tires on my '08 fatty, first time DIY. I was having the dealer do it but it is just to expensive for me now. I have some questions that I am hoping the experts (that's you guys) can help with.

1 I had a difficult time getting the mufflers off with those tiny bolts. I can't believe MoCo can't come up with a different method there. I wanted to loosen the muffler bracket and slide both mufflers and the bracket off as one piece. After loosening all the clamps and taking the nuts off the muffler bracket frame mount, I could not pull the bracket off the frame studs. Once I removed the bottom muffler, voila, it came right off. Not sure what removing the bottom muffler did to free it up. Any, what do you guys do to remove the mufflers? Is there a better way?

2 Unless there is an easier way to remove the mufflers, is there any reason the axle cannot be reversed so that the mufflers are a non issue for a tire change?

3 It was a really tight fit pulling the caliper off. I was afraid I was going to scratch the wheel. Any tips here?

4 On my front wheel, I think the shop screwed up the spacers on the last tire change. I noticed that the lines on the spacers indicate whether the end is chamfered or not. I think the non chamfered end has the lines. Anyway I have read that the chamfered end goes to the wheel. The spacer on the right side had the lines pointing to the wheel. It looked like it was now chamfered on both ends. Not sure if it was caused by wear of what. Any opinions here?

5 Seems the last mechanic that removed the front wheel also buggered up the heads on the button screws... I had to hold my breath backing them off fearing they would strip out. I would like to replace them with a cap screw or hex. This seems like a hokey set up to me too. BTW my manual shows hex bolts there not button screws. Anyone know the size to replace them?

Overall if I was working for Harley I would have a long suggestion list. Maybe its planned dealer service design. There is a lot of metal migration on many of the fasteners on the bike. I have been anti-seizing them as I come across them. I had a tough time backing out the belt deflector bolt that goes into the frame. Thought is was going to snap.

I don't drive a lot in the rain and my bikes are kept in the garage. I can't imagine how much corrosion there is on bikes that are not.

As always...thanks guys.....

Old 01-24-2015, 06:20 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Woops thought I was creating a new post... sorry