Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Axle Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:25 AM
John Bernard
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Axle Question

I have an 2010 Fatboy that I just put some new Tsukayu saddlebags on. Because of how far out the rear axle and axle nut stick out on the left side of the bike, the left bag is hitting when I hit a big bump. My painter uses the same bags on his bike (which is not a Fatboy), and solved the same issue by grinding some of the material off of the bag where it was making impact. However, I am hesitant to do this, because I do not really want to weaken the integrity of my bag. My question is, does anyone know of a rear axle kit (Harley or aftermarket) that mounts flush and does not stick out so far? If so, could you provide a link to where I can purchase it? Currently I have temporarily solved the problem by using 1/2" spacers, but I don't really like the look when saddlebags are not lying tight against the fender.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:55 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm not sure how much the actual interference is, but have you considered grinding or machining the axle and/or axle nut? I'd assume the interference is at the nut end. You could remove the castelated portion of the nut and shorten the axle to match, then come up with an alternate locking mechanism, i.e., lockwire, tabbed washer, etc.

Last edited by 2black1s; 04-13-2012 at 05:03 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:19 AM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you have the same clearance issue if the nut was on the right side? I forgot for what setup it was now but I remember for some bag install I was reading about awhile back it required you to install the axle in reverse (nut on the right side). Might be worth taking a look at.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:30 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Instead of mucking with the integrity of the axle. If you need 1/2 spacers to prevent your bags to be bumped, you would have to remove rather a lot. (I guess you got the same set up I got on my 2009 one, no castle nut etc.

I looked at mine and you could at most grind 1/8 or so of the axle and still be able to put the clip on. Don't think that would do the job. I figure your bag hits the top of the nut and not really the axle itself.

Might be simpler just to add some rubber to the bump stop of your swing arm. Don't think it would need much since your bags only get hit on big bumps.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:45 AM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just remembered it was 2010deluxeguy I believe who's hard bag install required the rear axle to be reversed.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:00 AM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

with the cycle visions baggertail mounts, it says to reverse the direction of the axle on 08 and newer softails. I didnt pay any attention to that because I couldnt see why it would matter. Well, when I took my bags off to have them painted, I found out why. If you look at the clearance on both sides with the bags on, there is much more room on the right side for some reason. I didnt want to remove the baggertail to reverse the axle since I dont have a jack to do it anyways. What I did was grind the front corner of the axle where it was hitting the bag. I didnt have to take much more than 1/8" off of just the front side of the axle as it wasnt hitting except for that front edge. I figure when I need a new rear tire, I'll have the mechanic reverse the axle. Ive got 1000 miles on the bike since grinding the axle and cant see any adverse effects.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:04 AM
John Bernard
Cruiser

Guys, thanks so much for your replies. These are exactly the kind of answers I am looking for. I'm going to check into reversing the axle, but like Deluxeguy I am wondering why it wouldn't just shift the same problem to the other side? I realize that there is a lot more room on the other side presently, but why wouldn't the clearances shift to exactly the same problem when the axle is reversed?

As for grinding the axle and/or nut itself, I will do that as a last resort. But like Rakthi mentioned, I don't want to mess with the integrity of the axle unless I absolutely have no other way.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:01 PM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by John Bernard
Guys, thanks so much for your replies. These are exactly the kind of answers I am looking for. I'm going to check into reversing the axle, but like Deluxeguy I am wondering why it wouldn't just shift the same problem to the other side? I realize that there is a lot more room on the other side presently, but why wouldn't the clearances shift to exactly the same problem when the axle is reversed?
If you look really close at your swingarm from the back, you will see that it is wider on the left side to make room for the drive belt and belt guard, which take more room than the brake and rotor on the right side. Our bags are molded differently for the left just for that reason.

Keep ridin'
Garry

Old 04-13-2012, 06:47 PM
John Bernard
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LeatherPro
If you look really close at your swingarm from the back, you will see that it is wider on the left side to make room for the drive belt and belt guard, which take more room than the brake and rotor on the right side. Our bags are molded differently for the left just for that reason.

Keep ridin'
Garry
Thanks Garry, but are you saying that reversing the axle will create more clearance on both sides for all bags, or only with bags that are manufactured by your company?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 AM
John Bernard
Cruiser

Latest Update: I reversed my axle, but my saddlebag is still hitting when I go over bumps in the same place it did before the axle reversal. I am surprised about this, because the side with the big nut is now on the other side and there is still plenty of clearance over there.

I guess I am back to asking if anyone knows a manufacturer that makes a flush mount axle kit for a 2010 Fat Boy?

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Question