Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pillion Question For Softail Owners.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Pillion Question For Softail Owners.

Hey Gang,

I have been tooling around for a while with passenger pillions on my 08 Bones. I had the Bones style pillion when I had the stock rear fender. The stock fender is long gone and I now run a stock Fatboy Lo rear fender. For two up duties I run a Softail Deluxe seat with Softail Deluxe touring pillion and either a detachable backrest or Deluxe Tour Pack for longer trips.

Here's my problems:

1. I HATE the ride on the Deluxe seat! Very uncomfortable between the legs and it shoves me too far forward. Too bad because I love the look of it.
2. I HATE having to remove all the hardware for my solo sprung seat in order to switch seats. I always prefer my solo sprung seat when I am alone but it makes for a PIA process any time I want to take a passenger along in short notice.

I have been looking at options for a passenger pillion that will look good, be easily removable and will work with my sprung solo rider saddle. I am not hell bent on only using Harley seats so any suggestions will be appreciated. I know that I can just cut away at the plastic frame pan under my solo seat to clear the two mounting holes on my rear fender. This way I can probably use any Harley pillion that is compatible with a 07-later Fatboy fender using the stock hardware. However, before I go the rout of butchering my frame cover, I thought about looking for something with different forward mounting tab like the pre-07 low profile pillions. I included a couple of picture of those below. I just don't know if the mounting holes on those pillions will line up with the holes on my newer fender. Does anyone have a pillion like the ones below? Could I trouble you for hole pattern measurements.

I am aware of the suction cup pillion pads out there but not really the route I want to take. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Pillion Question For Softail Owners.-pre_07_pillion_2.jpg   Pillion Question For Softail Owners.-pre_07_pillion.jpg  
Old 04-15-2012, 01:10 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what about the Brawler and its pillion???

Old 04-15-2012, 02:04 AM
spoonie
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brettnbama
Sorry about the hijack, but Brett, How is that jockey shift thing coming along.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:00 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spoonie
Haven't done anything on it yet, but did find out my question about the levers was a yes....should be good to go.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by brettnbama
That doesn't remedy the most PIA part of having to remove the sprung seat and all of it's hardware to switch to two-up. I am trying to maintain constant use of the sprung seat while being able to easily add a pillion on short notice like i used to be able to with the stock fender and Crossbones pillion. Also, I don't like the look of the Brawler seat. The Deluxe seat is the only on-the-frame seat that I like for my Bones but it is a terrible ride and I don't have any desire to continue using it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by spoonie
No worries. Not much to hijack right now. Your posts might give my thread a little more exposure!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:47 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know much about these and I personally would never use one as I don't like them but what about these seats that just has those suction cups on them? I know little about them so not sure if that is even an option but I have seen and read about them here and there throughout this forum. Is that a dumb option or observation? I don't know. Like I said, I know little or nothing about them!!

Old 04-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
I don't know much about these and I personally would never use one as I don't like them but what about these seats that just has those suction cups on them? I know little about them so not sure if that is even an option but I have seen and read about them here and there throughout this forum. Is that a dumb option or observation? I don't know. Like I said, I know little or nothing about them!!
Hey Tbone. Thanks for the suggestion. I mentioned in my post that I don't want to use the suction cup ones.

There are a number of ways that I can make this work with existing pillions that fit the 07 -later Fatboy, the Deluxe and the Heritage Softail Classic. I was hoping that someone who owned a pre-07 model and had one of the low profile pillions that I posted above could get me some hole pattern measurements. Trying to see if they would line up with my current fender's holes. From what I can tell, those earlier model pillions bolted to the rider seat on the front with only the back screw bolting to the fender. On newer models the pillions front notches into the seat nuts which are bolted directly to the fender.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 AM
discodave
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a great idea..... Just tell your passengar to throw these babies on!

Or these:

We may be on to something here!

Last edited by discodave; 04-16-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Damion
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used the Suction cup type a lot... I love keeping it as the solo, and having the pillion in the bag and ready as needed. Note, they're not too comfortable since most are just 1 1/2" - 2" thick, but on the short rides... (from the bar to the hotel... kidding) they work out great... on "all day" rides I would use the bold on...

They do sell better quality ones (maybe gel or memory foam) and some that a lot wider..

The problem is that the cups DO leave markings on the clear coat of the fender. I've only use it on the Vivid black, so don't know on other finishes. I am able to buff it out ... but it doesn't just wash off...

On other pillions, you can always change the bracket if holes don't line up, or just make one... its just a piece of steal with a cpl holes in it... & powder coat or pait the bracket... (??)

Old 04-17-2012, 04:14 PM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

what if you took your deluxe seat and had it modified so the horn is narrower, then use something that works with the deluxe seat?

Quick Reply: Pillion Question For Softail Owners.