Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detail Question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:41 AM
fatboy1729
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Detail Question...

There is so much out there for shining up chrome. Have alot invested in my ride, chrome that is..I store my bike covered in an unheated garage here in New England. I noticed this past year of uncovering it, the chrome looks terrible. Looks like I never took care of her. My question is are there any good waxes or polishes out there that are excellent? Right now I use some brand I got at a bike show. Doesn't seem to be working. Any help would be appreciated..Thanks...

Old 04-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

I always use a car wash with wax for suds to start with. Come back around with a leaf blower get water off then dry cotton towels wipe it down. Once a year I wax/polish it with Mothers SynWax and a buffing wheel. During the course of a year I probaly come back do the same thing 3-4 times but now instead of a wax/polish and buffer I use Meguires Ultimate Quik Detailer. Another thing is that if the scoot goes up for winter alway detail it beforehand.

Aluminum is a lil different and most aluminum cleaners such as Mothers is just fine. The key is using a 400 grit steel wool and rubbin the cleaner in. Have to cotton rags ready, one to wipe the black glaze off you just create and the other to polish with.

Anyways...that my way.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:23 AM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboy1729
There is so much out there for shining up chrome. Have alot invested in my ride, chrome that is..I store my bike covered in an unheated garage here in New England. I noticed this past year of uncovering it, the chrome looks terrible. Looks like I never took care of her. My question is are there any good waxes or polishes out there that are excellent? Right now I use some brand I got at a bike show. Doesn't seem to be working. Any help would be appreciated..Thanks...
I've always used Maguires chrome polish and have had good results. Don't ever use wax on chrome as it doesn't breathe. I think covering your bike may be adding to the problem. IMHO unless you live in a climate with super low humidity covering your bike for an extended period of time will cause far more rust/corrosion than leaving it uncovered. All you're doing is creating a bubble around the bike with an open bottom. Moisture in the air and temperature changes can cause trapped condensation under the cover. Add the fact that concrete will absorb and wick moisture and that makes things worse. It's happened to me so I just put up with a little dust on the bike.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your chrome is pitting at all, check out Luster Lace.. otherwise when I had a bunch of chrome on my old Sportster I used Mothers chrome polish or Meguiars.. though there's a bunch of people on here who say that once your chrome is clean, if you want to just detail it rather than polish everything, just use a bit of windex and wipe it off.. i've done that before too and it works just fine

Old 04-27-2012, 09:33 AM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been using Liquid Performance which is an aerosol cleaner and polisher. One of the detailers at a local dealership turned me on to it. Not all dealers carry it but you can find it on Amazon for about $5 a can. It's $10 at my dealer.

Spray on or best to spray on a micro towel, clean, then wipe off with a dry micro. The stuff is magic IMO. Several folks have commented on the shine.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by LA VIC
Don't ever use wax on chrome as it doesn't breathe..
Interesting...rather than disagree think I'll just offer a lil more input.

The pitting is caused by corrosive impurity's. Keeping the chrome (and the rest of the scoot) clean will help prevent this corrosion.

Anytime you can put a barrier between paint, chrome, aluminum, etc. you will slow down the corrosive effects of whatever impurity's are settling on your bike.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:03 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Honda spray polish and cleaner.... On Paint and chrome.....

Old 04-27-2012, 11:42 AM
softail99custom
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

s100 detail spray ....works beautiful, easy to work with.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:21 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These topics go about like oil discussions. lol Everyone has their personal preference. Have to say though I have read a bunch of good reviews on the Honda cleaner and the S100 product line is some great stuff as well. I recently used the S100 engine restore or brightener spray and it made the black case brighter than show room quality.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:14 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On tough spots or surface rust I use http://www.nevrdull.com/ then buff it clean with a micro-fiber rag.

Quick Reply: Detail Question...