Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 FLSTN - numbered?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 04:33 PM
95Heritage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1993 was the only year for the moo glide and my 1995 isn't number

Old 09-13-2009, 04:46 PM
bryceman
6th Gear

Hey rustypedals. I've owned all four Nostalgia's and still own the 1994 FLSTN. I am a fanatic about these bikes. You've gotten a lot of feed back on this question. Some correct and incorrect. First, the 1993 is the only one which was "Numbered" and called the "Nostalgia". The 94, 95 and 96 models are actually called "Specials" but still reflect the FLSTN title. The 1993 is a classic but like you, I think the 1994 , white birch and silver, is the best looking color. I sold my 1993 "Moo Glide" on Ebay to a guy in Germany for $15,500. I paid $13,000 and had her for five years. Not a bad investment. Unfortunately, the Evo's have tanked regardless what type of special edition the bike was. Just ride her and take care of her and she will hold her value. I sunk too much into my 94 FLSTN to get back on resale so I kept her even though I just bought a 2009 FLHX. You've got yourself a real head turner there! Good luck.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:47 PM
1993mooglide
Intermediate

1993 flstn is the only year it was numbered-i own one of the 2700 made. The number is located below the ignition key switch on the dash. It is referred to as the moo-glide. The nostalgia was produced through the next couple years and was referred to as the 'special' i believe. However they are not numbered so your investment just lost some value, but you still have a cool bike and real head turner.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:06 PM
FLHX08
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A friend of mine had one of those, the moo glide FLSTN. it was numbered and he due to finacial problems had to sell it. He was offered when times were very good in this country and the HD after market were great, $25K. he sold it for $11.5K and was happy to get that.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Springerpilot
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default More info on the FLSTN 1993-1996 (sorry, it's long)

Hi all FLSTN fans. I assume the original poster, Rustypedals, has moved on since he posted 4 years ago (2005). For anybody still interested in the details, Bryceman got it right (he should, he's owned ALL FOUR examples of these bikes - cool). I've only owned TWO FLSTN bikes and it started when I tried to get the original (and only) "Nostalgia" back in 1993. Rapid City H-D had sold both their 93 FLSTN Heritage Softail Nostalgias and did not have a build date for any more. I got myself on the list anyway and gave them my deposit. I liked EVERYTHING about this bike. The black/white paint, the cow-fur on the seats and bags, and especially the heavy use of Fatboy parts to elevate this new model above a standard Heritage Softail Classic. This 1993 model year was the ONLY time Harley would limit the bikes production, call it the "Nostalgia" and give it a "numbered plate" - in this case xxxx out of 2700 units. I missed my chance to own this limited edition and future collectable. But the HD dealer still had my money and my name on the list for a FLSTN. Now for reasons unknown, but probably the original's popularity and quick sellout, Harley decided to continue the model line. This created a problem, however, since the original Nostalgia owners were told their bikes would be one year, limited and numbered examples. Harley tried to appease these owners by changing the name of the 1994 model to "Special" and by dropping the limited-edition numbering. BUT THEY KEPT the model line designation as FLSTN. This thinly-guised continuation of a promised "one-year-only" model should have annoyed all of the original owners of the one and only true Nostalgia. Hey, they even kept using the cow-fur seat and bag accents on the 1994s but this time in all-black vs the original black-and-white: the genesis for the nickname "Moo Glide"(only to drop fur use for 95 and 96 in favor of a 2-tone leather seat with "laser inscribed" H-D logo).
My deposit was turned in in Apr 93 and as such, when the continuation of the FLSTN was announced for 1994, I was the first on the list at the dealership that got the first bikes of every model year (Rapid City HD is near Sturgis, SD and gets the first wave of new bikes every year so they can show them off to the Sturgis crowd every August). Therefore I got my Silver/Birch White 94 FLSTN Heritage Softail Special on Aug 10th, 1993. I did not get a Moo-Glide, a Nostalgia, or a numbered limited production bike - all that was only for the 1993 owners.
Many still call ANY of the FLSTNs the "Nostalgia" but Harley never did. The 93 is the Nostalgia, the 94-96 is the Special, and the newer ones are the Deluxe...all FLSTN but three different animals!
The 94-96 production was not numbered, but was limited in the sense that Harley built a certain number of them and not as many as the public wanted. This is similar to the Original 1990 Fatboy, a bike produced in low numbers, but not a limited and numbered model. After 1990, Harely produced as many Fatboys as needed based on customer orders.
Lastly, the Specials, unlike most other bikes in the lineup, came in only ONE two-tone color choice for each year. 93:Black on White with red pinstriping 94:Silver on White with red pinstriping, 95:Black on Charcoal with plum pinstriping 96:Silver on Dark Green with gold pinstriping.
ONLY the 93s were limited to 2,700 units. The others were produced in low numbers, probably more than the original, but certainly between 3-5,000 for each model year, as Harley tried to cash in on the new model's popularity. The rareness on the 94-96 bikes depend on how many examples remain today in good condition, like the Silver/Green 96 FLSTN in my garage. She's held up great and looks as good today as she did rolling off the floor 14 years ago! A "Special" bike all right.

Last edited by Springerpilot; 01-28-2010 at 03:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cacomly (12-18-2017)
Old 01-28-2010, 03:58 PM
mke125125
Road Captain

Thanks springerpilot,the flstn has always been my favorite H-D model and I own a deluxe now. I appreciate the education.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Springerpilot
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default response to MKE

MKE,
You are welcome. I hope I got most of that info right. Bryce probably knows more since he's owned them all, but his post was shorter. If he reads this thread again I welcome any corrections. I read elsewhere that 94-96 FLSTN production may have been as low as 675/year for those 3 years, but that seems awfully low, so I doubt it.

I was very happy to see the FLSTN reintroduced after the Heritage Springer model finished up several years ago(FLSTS). I notice every Deluxe that rides by and still think Harley has got the styling right year after year on this line. Last season I stopped at a light alongside a new Deluxe while on my 96FLSTN and he knew I had the last-gen example of what he was riding...always nice to see 'students of history' who know their stuff!

Post a pic if you can of your Deluxe, I will check back here once more. Ride safe.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 PM
creatv1
Tourer

springerpilot, thanks for that-- especially the reasoning for the "Special" designation. Always wondered about that!

Name:  IMG_1992.jpg
Views: 7757
Size:  219.6 KB

Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 PM
GJC2
6th Gear

Thanks for the info, entertaining.
I was "considering" the purchase of a Harley for years, by chance I stopped into a local dealer about 5 years ago and happened to see a Deluxe in the showroom. It was the first I'd seen of that model. It was Oct. 05 and the 06 model was in,it shined like a beacon and was just to bad to the bone, so much so I left with the keys in hand that night. So much for "considering"" a purchase. I've been loving it since.
Hope I don't bore you with my photos. Some from BlueRidge Pkwy in Ashville, NC. area and some from North Western Pa. Man the scenery looks so much better while on two wheels.
Keep the history rolling.
Thanks again for the info.

Attached Thumbnails  1994 FLSTN - numbered?-100_1604.jpg    1994 FLSTN - numbered?-100_1550.jpg    1994 FLSTN - numbered?-nicebike_mntnbackdrop100_1681.jpg    1994 FLSTN - numbered?-100_1427.jpg    1994 FLSTN - numbered?-100_1276dougjohnjerry-sbikes.jpg  

Old 05-22-2010, 06:37 PM
sconnors
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1995 Heritage Softail Nostalgia FLSTN and I love it! I always wanted a Heritage Softail and found mine on a Craigslist ad with no pictures whatsoever. The owner just needed cash fast for his kids college. So I got a pretty mint bike with 10,000 miles on it totally chromed out from head to tail for $10,000 and that was about three years ago. I love the bike and there's not a time when I go into a Harley dealership that I see something I like better than mine. Great bikes!!

Attached Thumbnails  1994 FLSTN - numbered?-flstn2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
kb_jag (06-01-2021)

Quick Reply: 1994 FLSTN - numbered?