Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Write-up Front signal relo for 11-12 Fatboy Lo

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 08:57 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

I spliced mine when I mounted them to the forks. No problems at all.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Harley03joe
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Front Turn signal relocation for 2011-2012 Softail/Fatboy

This is my first write up so please be kind. I hope it can help others who want to do the same. Much credit goes to forum member Fat11LO for providing some great info.

Parts needed

1. Tyco 070 Multilock 6 pin connector/6X black Amp/Tyco

Multi-lock connector set + terminals
(Harley Part # 73156-96BK)
2. 18" each Pink,Brown, GXL 18 gauge wire
3. 36" each Blue, Black GXL 18 gauge wire
4. 1/8" and 1/4" shrink wrap
5. solder

Start by removing the turn signals. You can cut them off at the hand controls but leave enough wire so you can heat shrink each individual wire. Then you can tuck the the the ends back into the controls through the slot where the wires exit after removing the small gromet.

I did it a bit different as I took apart the hand controls and and cut the wires from inside. Either way will work.

Now that you have the signals removed you can now build your wireing harness. Start by extending the signal wires.
I cut the signal wires and different lengths so I could stager my splices. (keeps the harness from having a big buldge in one spot)

Remove the front and rear bolts holding you gas tank on and you can slide the tank back enough to expose the signal plug on the right hand side.

I used a great a kit from Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fatboy-TURN-...item19ba5e5aad

Once you mount the signals you can route your wires and cut to proper length. I routed my wires through the cow bells by drilling a hole in the back side of each and ran the wires through some groumets. Next I heat shrinked the entire harnes with 1/4" Heat shrink. Once you have your wires run you can install the termanals and male receptical.

Plug it in and fasten up you gas tank and your done.
I Know This An Old Post, But My Question Is This
I Have A 04 Heritage And The Front Light Bar Was Taken Off, Well I Put A New One On From V Twin ,With Turn Sig And Running Lights, The Light Bar Is Grounded To The Frame QUESTION Do I Have To Run Ground Wire From The Lights To The 6 Way Connector ? Being There Is Only One Wire On The Turn Lights,, And Passing Lights I Got Hooked Up Already , So It Just The Turns , They Do Light Up When I Tested Them With The One Wire.

Thank You For Your Help
Harley03joe
Name:  CIMG7016.jpg
Views: 3049
Size:  98.2 KB

Name:  045.jpg
Views: 2869
Size:  53.8 KB

Last edited by Harley03joe; 03-30-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Crowley'78
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I relocated my signals to a light bar as per instructions in the kit which followed your instructions to a T. Only problem is the bike will not start now. Getting a bcm low voltage code and dealership says that I have to bring it in so they can reset the voltage. Bike just turns over will not do anything else. That's on a 2012 fatboy lo

Old 05-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Crowley'78
Well I relocated my signals to a light bar as per instructions in the kit which followed your instructions to a T. Only problem is the bike will not start now. Getting a bcm low voltage code and dealership says that I have to bring it in so they can reset the voltage. Bike just turns over will not do anything else. That's on a 2012 fatboy lo
I really don't know what might have gone wrong. All I can think of is if you had maybe left the battery connected when you were working with the wiring. That may have been the issue. I don't know. I have done three relocation's and not had any problems yet.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Harley03joe
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Misbehaven
I really don't know what might have gone wrong. All I can think of is if you had maybe left the battery connected when you were working with the wiring. That may have been the issue. I don't know. I have done three relocation's and not had any problems yet.
If It's EFI Check The Fuel Pump Fuse
Harley03joe

Old 08-08-2013, 02:47 PM
jasonleahey
Cruiser

what are folks using as a stand off etc for the turn signals .... all thread or is there a kit ?

Old 12-15-2013, 11:07 AM
duc nut
Stage IV
Default Front Signal Relocation for 11 Fatboy Low

Thanks for the write up but I'm a little unclear on a couple things regarding the length of the wires and the location of the Tyco connector. I'm a new member of this forum and if you wouldn't mind sending me a PM so I can ask a few more detailed questions before I attempt this job..I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Pete

Old 12-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by duc nut
Thanks for the write up but I'm a little unclear on a couple things regarding the length of the wires and the location of the Tyco connector. I'm a new member of this forum and if you wouldn't mind sending me a PM so I can ask a few more detailed questions before I attempt this job..I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Pete
Welcome to the forum. Your going to need a few more post before I can PM you. WHat is it you need to know about the connector and wire? The connector is under the right front side of the gas tank and as for the wires I use the reference of 18" wires as that is what I bought for the relocation. I don'tn remember exactly how much I used but I did not come up short. Have any further questions ask here and I will do my best to answer.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:23 PM
SwiftyBKells
Tourer

I'm in the process of adding apes and the light bar w/blinkers on my '13 Fatboy right now. Worried about the Can/Bus, I haven't cut anything yet. I also haven't opened the box for the light bar yet. From what i'm gathering from you guys, I can cut the blinker wires and call it done or do is there more to it? I also see 2 cut wires in the pic, what color wires are they so I know which ones are safe to cut. I'm super worried i'm going to screw this new ecu thing up.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SwiftyBKells
I'm in the process of adding apes and the light bar w/blinkers on my '13 Fatboy right now. Worried about the Can/Bus, I haven't cut anything yet. I also haven't opened the box for the light bar yet. From what i'm gathering from you guys, I can cut the blinker wires and call it done or do is there more to it? I also see 2 cut wires in the pic, what color wires are they so I know which ones are safe to cut. I'm super worried i'm going to screw this new ecu thing up.
Just snip the turn signal wires at the controls blue, purple and black on each side. The wires run from the turn signal right to the control. Once you have them apart there should be no confusion. Just remember to use some heat shrink to cap off the cut wires. This will not effect your canbus system. Remember to disconnect you battery and remove the main fuse when doing any electrical work. Good luck with your project.

Quick Reply: Write-up Front signal relo for 11-12 Fatboy Lo