Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Write-up Front signal relo for 11-12 Fatboy Lo

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Write-up Front signal relo for 11-12 Fatboy Lo

Front Turn signal relocation for 2011-2012 Softail/Fatboy

This is my first write up so please be kind. I hope it can help others who want to do the same. Much credit goes to forum member Fat11LO for providing some great info.

Name:  DSCF1833.jpg
Views: 8983
Size:  87.3 KB
Name:  DSCF1836.jpg
Views: 4799
Size:  77.4 KB

Parts needed

1. Tyco 070 Multilock 6 pin connector/6X black Amp/Tyco

Multi-lock connector set + terminals
(Harley Part # 73156-96BK)
2. 18" each Pink,Brown, GXL 18 gauge wire
3. 36" each Blue, Black GXL 18 gauge wire
4. 1/8" and 1/4" shrink wrap
5. solder

Start by removing the turn signals. You can cut them off at the hand controls but leave enough wire so you can heat shrink each individual wire. Then you can tuck the the the ends back into the controls through the slot where the wires exit after removing the small gromet.

I did it a bit different as I took apart the hand controls and and cut the wires from inside. Either way will work.

Name:  DSCF1815.jpg
Views: 3510
Size:  62.5 KB

Now that you have the signals removed you can now build your wireing harness. Start by extending the signal wires.
I cut the signal wires and different lengths so I could stager my splices. (keeps the harness from having a big buldge in one spot)

Name:  DSCF1817.jpg
Views: 3596
Size:  27.9 KB

Remove the front and rear bolts holding you gas tank on and you can slide the tank back enough to expose the signal plug on the right hand side.
Name:  DSCF1808.jpg
Views: 3791
Size:  53.7 KB

I used a great a kit from Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fatboy-TURN-...item19ba5e5aad
Name:  DSCF1836.jpg
Views: 4799
Size:  77.4 KB

Once you mount the signals you can route your wires and cut to proper length. I routed my wires through the cow bells by drilling a hole in the back side of each and ran the wires through some groumets. Next I heat shrinked the entire harnes with 1/4" Heat shrink. Once you have your wires run you can install the termanals and male receptical.
Name:  DSCF1809.jpg
Views: 4727
Size:  63.0 KB

Plug it in and fasten up you gas tank and your done.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF1836.jpg (77.4 KB, 328 views)

Last edited by Misbehaven; 08-18-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:26 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, if your computer doesn't go ape **** and your signals and other lights continue to work properly then I guess that means it's ok to at least cut and splice the signal wires. Or, maybe the sigs don't run thru the same system as the rest of the bike.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
Well, if your computer doesn't go ape **** and your signals and other lights continue to work properly then I guess that means it's ok to at least cut and splice the signal wires. Or, maybe the sigs don't run thru the same system as the rest of the bike.
Pretty much have to cut the signals off when you add the Aux light kit with signals. That's what the dealer does. I rode 300 miles after doing it with no ecm codes or light failures.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
Cutting the wires and caping them is per Harley's instructions when installing an auxillary light bar with relocated turn signals. Recirculating missinformation instead of doing proper research is what get folks into trouble when doing mods or worse yet keeps them in fear of technology.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
Cutting the wires and caping them is per Harley's instructions when installing an auxillary light bar with relocated turn signals. Recirculating missinformation instead of doing proper research is what get folks into trouble when doing mods or worse yet keeps them in fear of technology.
After your suggestions on the plug location I found a illustration of the wire harness that verified it I checked with dealer and he also verified that cutting the signals at the switches would not be a problem.
Name:  diagram.jpg
Views: 9225
Size:  67.0 KB

Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM
wevsspot
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I've cut my rear turn signal wires twice for two different relocation projects. Just disconnected the battery (of course). Cut, strip, solder and shrink. Hook battery back up and everything works perfectly - as always.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Big H
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

They are only turn signal wires. No problem cutting, splicing, shortening, lengthening, or relocating the wiring. Heck, you can even remove the signals all together and the bike will still run.

Misbehaven, thank you for contributing the cool write up that you did.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:00 PM
wevsspot
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes, definitely a great write up! I have one question. If a person was going to cut the wires to length, and then splice/solder/shrink what is the purpose of disconnecting the plug from the harness? That's a serious question, as I've been looking to do a relocation on mine too. On my FXDC I've measured and it looks like I'll have at least 8" of excess wire that I'll need to find a way to tuck away, or just cut to length (and I'm seriously considering doing the later).

Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 PM
deadrider
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice write up I want to do this soon...

Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

I posted it on the lo thread but thought it should go here too
HD part# for the terminals required for the 6 pin connector is 73191-96 6 are needed

Quick Reply: Write-up Front signal relo for 11-12 Fatboy Lo