Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Dynamics Smart Triple Play Controller / Detailed Installation and Testing

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:20 AM
ewjax
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Dynamics Smart Triple Play Controller / Detailed Installation and Testing

Hi folks,

Recently I installed some new Custom Dynamics LED brake lights and turn signals and their new "Smart Triple Play" Run/Brake/Turn controller. I am very pleased with the results, and thought I would post a few pictures and a video of the results. Full disclosure: I do not work for Custom Dynamics, but they did supply the components to me at no charge in exchange for this detailed write up.

Executive Summary: The Custom Dynamic LED brake lights and turn signals are super bright and very visible. The conversion of the turn signals to running lights, and the strobe effect on the rear brake and rear running lights are great "visibility adders," and I am very pleased with the results!

Components installed:
I installed the following components:
- GEN-SMART-TPU-CAN Smart Triple Play Run/Brake/Turn controller
- GEN2-LDW-R Complete Taillight Assembly
- GEN-200-R-1156 Pair of LED bullet style rear turn signals
- DHD5R Pair of red lens caps for rear turn signals
- GEN-200-AW-1157 Pair of LED Dynamic Ring bullet style front turn signals
- DHD5C Pair of clear lens caps for front turn signals

Installation:
Installation was extremely easy (see pictures below). The controller connects in-line at the connector from the main wiring harness to the rear lights, and then sits under your seat. All that is required is to find the correct connector, disconnect it, and snap the controller module onto the male and female connection points, and that's it. I did run into a minor issue installing the controller. The documentation claims to have a mechanism where you can adjust the brightness of the tail light and the turn signal/running lights to match, but I never could get it to work. However, I didn't need it anyway, my lights all matched and didn't require adjustment, so it was not an issue for me.

The turn signals are as simple as popping off the lens with a coin or screwdriver, removing the stock bulb, inserting the LED bulb in its place, and reinstalling the lens. Note that since the turn signals will become constantly-on running lights with the triple play controller module, you cannot leave them with the stock amber lens, but must instead replace the amber lens with either a red or smoked version on the rear, and a clear or smoked version on the front.

The brake light assembly replacement involves a pair of phillips screws and a snap-in electrical connection.

If I hadn't been taking photos as I went, and going slow, I could have had the entire installation done in less than 30 minutes. Everything is plug and play.

Operation:
The "Smart Triple Play" module is very customizable. It has a pair of toggle switches to allow you to control whether the brake light, the turn signals, both, or neither participate in the "strobing" effects, and there are 10 strobe patterns to select from. Four of the strobe patterns cycle slowly enough to work with incandescent bulbs as well as LED's, with the other six strobe patterns cycle so quickly that only the LED bulbs can keep up.
Pattern 0: Four flashes then solid (incandescent / LED)
Pattern 1: Four flashes, solid 3 seconds, repeat (incandescent / LED)
Pattern 2: Seven flashes then solid (incandescent / LED)
Pattern 3: Seven flashes, solid 3 seconds, repeating (incandescent / LED)
Pattern 4: Quad strobe, solid 1 second, quad strobe, solid (LED)
Pattern 5: Quad strobe, solid 1 second, quad strobe, solid 3 seconds, repeat (LED)
Pattern 6: Blaster X pattern for 3 seconds, solid (LED)
Pattern 7: Constant Blaster X pattern (LED)
Pattern 8: Fast strobe 5 seconds, solid (LED)
Pattern 9: Constant fast strobe (LED)

I selected Pattern 4.

Issue with Front Turn Signal/Running Lights:
When the controller module is installed, it converts all turn signals into running lights, at least while they are not otherwise engaged in blinking to indicate a turn. As earlier noted, this necessitates replacement of the stock amber lenses with either red or smoked on the rear turn signals, and either clear or smoked on the front turn signals.

This is all fine, and I love the extra visibility gained. However, I did run into an issue with the front turn signals - when I put the clear lenses on them, and rode at night, the LED's shine out the sides and create a very visually distracting shine, making me constantly think I was being tailgated by a very brightly-shining set of headlights shining in my mirrors. I solved the problem by going to the HD dealer and buying a pair of black "visors" with smoked lenses for the front turn signals for about $35, which look great and solve the "light shining from the sides of the lens" problem.

Installation Pictures and Video:
All LED lights, lenses, and module:

The toggle switches and rotary control on the back of the Smart Triple Play controller:

Photo taken after seat removal, from left side of bike looking down. Connector for rear lighting harness shown in the yellow circle:

Closeup of rear harness connector, unplugged:

Module plugged in:

Module in final position:

Taillight assembly removal. Note circle around electrical connection plug:

New LED taillight being installed:

Stock amber turn lens removal:

Rear LED bulb install:

Red lens installed, rear turn signal:

Front clear lens installed:

Front LED light glaring out the side of the clear lens, appearing in your peripheral vision just under the mirrors (incidentally, look how much light is being put out by that "running light" LED!):

HD Visor and Smoked Lens installed:

Finally, here is a video of the brake lights in one of the strobe modes. In this video, I activate the brake 3 times. Note that I TRIED to take videos and photos of all the LED lights at night, but they are so bright that they overwhelm the light sensor of the camera, and you just end up with shapeless blobs. I did get this video during daytime, which helps the camera not got overwhelmed at least. These lights are BRIGHT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g3i6...ature=youtu.be

Old 05-13-2012, 01:49 PM
DavTN
Tourer

Thanks for the great write up. Sure looks like an easy install. Does the triple play have a built in load eq? I was thinking about signal mirrors but those front running lights appear to work as mini driving lights, do they light up the road forward or just a bright running light?

Old 05-13-2012, 02:32 PM
ewjax
Advanced

Originally Posted by DavTN
Thanks for the great write up. Sure looks like an easy install. Does the triple play have a built in load eq? I was thinking about signal mirrors but those front running lights appear to work as mini driving lights, do they light up the road forward or just a bright running light?
It does not require a separate load equalizer, at least on my bike (2012 Fat Boy Lo). In fact, the instructions tell you to remove any load equalizer you may already have installed.

I'm not sure the forward turn signal/running lights could fairly be classified as mini driving lights. They are extraordinarily visible, and do a good job lighting the area within 10-20 yards of your bike (you can kind of get a sense of that from that one photo I took, but the camera flash is providing part of that light, it's only the "whitish" light you can see on the plants that is really coming from the LED I think), but I honestly can't tell if they are adding any light beyond that 10-20 yards.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 PM
2000FiveOh
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A better place to mount the module is under the plastic piece for ECM. Oh....that's another executive summary....whatever that is.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:48 PM
ewjax
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2000FiveOh
A better place to mount the module is under the plastic piece for ECM.
Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:50 AM
HDFan0611
Road Captain

Hi,

I been searching the forums for LED lights, and controllers...and found this thread for the smart triple great info...thanks.

I saw the pictures and would like to know if you have pictures after you installed the HD Visor on the turn signal...to see how the light beam change. I bought some mirrors with LED turn signal build in and was thinking on removing the stock signal and mirrors and instal the new set...but your setup looks really bright and the signal will actually help with visibility.

Thanks.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:41 PM
DDT66
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ewjax
It does not require a separate load equalizer, at least on my bike (2012 Fat Boy Lo). In fact, the instructions tell you to remove any load equalizer you may already have installed.

I'm not sure the forward turn signal/running lights could fairly be classified as mini driving lights. They are extraordinarily visible, and do a good job lighting the area within 10-20 yards of your bike (you can kind of get a sense of that from that one photo I took, but the camera flash is providing part of that light, it's only the "whitish" light you can see on the plants that is really coming from the LED I think), but I honestly can't tell if they are adding any light beyond that 10-20 yards.

Hi, have same bike, year as well, and installed same set up, got 7 fault codes. ( 6 from BCM 1 from speedo ( turn on/off) had to remove the led signals and everything went back to normalcy. Bummer...people at CD were a bit vague but admittedly said this stuff isn't kosher for the 2012 lo... Did you check is you get those errors as well? Cheers!