Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help , fuel pack

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:49 AM
cop242
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help , fuel pack

Looking at installing a Vance Hines fuel pack on my fatboy, will i notice a difference, has anyone installed one on tehre Harley ?

Thanks

Old 05-14-2012, 05:57 AM
toxicstang99
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got one on My Deluxe (2009). I didn't do it so much for performance as I just wanted to protect my motor.

I'm sure whatever increase there was it wasn't enough to "feel" it. From what I have gathered though the FP is best for non internal/top-end modifications. The tunability is limited and you are kind of at the mercy of V&H as they give you the tune to enter.

Like others likely will, I suggest you go with Fuel Moto if you plan on doing head work, cams or want to get it punched out to a 103 etc. A lot of people on here have gone with them and I can't recall a negative review on there behalf.

Good luck!

Old 05-14-2012, 07:14 AM
fatboy1729
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are so many fuel management units out there. Try to decide what you are planning to do in the future with your ride. With a Fuel Pac, you cannot do any adjustments to tune your bike with any other mods besides exhaust and air cleaner. I run a PCIII on my 06 Fatboy. I had the Fuel Pac and could never get it dialed in. With the PCIII the bike is perfect and there is so much you can do with the PCIII or PCV. Even after mods to your engine. There are others that are just as good or even better. If your going to spend your money on something other than the FP, this forum will give you some advice and it will make it easier for you to decide. P.S., I am not saying FP is bad, many rides use it. In my case, it never dialed in. No 2 engines are alike. Good Luck...

Old 05-14-2012, 09:03 AM
challutz
Cruiser

Same thing happened to me as fatboy I had the FP on my heritage when I put the duals on and it ran just OK When I just recently did my cams the fuel pak became useless and could not be dialed in I went back and forth with the techs trying to dial it in with no sucess. So I ended up getting a Fuel MOto EFI tuner which is the PC3 usb model it was basically the same price that id payed for that fuelpak. With a preloaded map from fuel moto she ran like a champ I havent touched it since. Dont limit yourself with the fuel pak as I did cause youll just end up getting something else if you make any further changes to your bike.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:54 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cop242
Looking at installing a Vance Hines fuel pack on my fatboy, will i notice a difference, has anyone installed one on tehre Harley ?

Thanks
I'm not sure what you have done to your bike, if you have just changed the exhaust then it's probably not necessary to add the Fuel Pak but if you have modified your intake you should add some type of fuel management system. There are lots and lots of threads about this subject in this forum.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:01 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

only in Ur oil temp, it may be a little cooler.

the FP only adds fuel so she wont run so lean.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:45 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

There are a lot of better tuners out there for about the same $.

The FP is a "fuel" only tuner . It can add or remove fuel but the downside to it is the settings are only known to V & H so you are at their mercy. If you have an older bike look at the Power Commander PClll or the Fuel Moto Version of the same, if its newer look at the Power Commander PC V , they run about the sae $ and will truly allow the proper tuning of both fuel and timing as well as many other things.

As has already been said call Jamie at Fuel Moto for some good information and direcion into what options you have

Old 05-14-2012, 03:49 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XARAN
There are a lot of better tuners out there for about the same $.

The FP is a "fuel" only tuner . It can add or remove fuel but the downside to it is the settings are only known to V & H so you are at their mercy. If you have an older bike look at the Power Commander PClll or the Fuel Moto Version of the same, if its newer look at the Power Commander PC V , they run about the sae $ and will truly allow the proper tuning of both fuel and timing as well as many other things.

As has already been said call Jamie at Fuel Moto for some good information and direcion into what options you have

+1 on everything XARAN said.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:03 AM
cop242
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cop242

Thanks
THE only change i have made is I installed a set uf Bub Rinehart 2-2 pipes and a Screeming eagle air filter. I don't plan on doing motor work, thanks for your help

Old 05-15-2012, 05:42 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I had good experience with the Arlen Ness Cheap Shot or Dobeck DFO. Much more tunable than the the FP. But only if those are only mods you're gonna do. Otherwise, go with FuelMoto PCIII, as suggested above, I did after more work.

Quick Reply: help , fuel pack