Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo and Auto-Cancel Turn Signals not Working

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:19 AM
87HDFXSTC
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedo and Auto-Cancel Turn Signals not Working

Hopefully you guys can help me out here. I have a 2002 Heritage Softail, carbureted model. Last week I had my bike up on the bike jack to replace the rear tire and brake pads. In the process of putting the tire/wheel back on the bike fell off the stand. It didn't fall hard, but was completely on it's side for a few minutes. I was able to get the bike back up on the stand and finish the job.

I don't remember if this was immediately after the fall happened or not, but now my speedometer does not work and my turn signals will not auto-cancel. The speedometer lights up and the gauge moves like it normally does when you first turn the key on, but that's it. It will not increase with speed nor does the tripometer count the mileage.

Any thoughts? After reading a few posts I think it might be the speed sensor, but does anyone know where that is on my bike? I've also thought about the bank angle sensor (BAS), but after talking to the dealership I was told the turn signal auto-cancellation module is inside of the speedo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:14 AM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a speedometer sensor located on the top right rear of the transmission.

Hopefully that link will work to give you a better idea. It's item 49. Not sure that's the one, but hopefully you can use the link site to help locate it if that's not it. It's a great site to look up part numbers etc...once you add an item to the shopping cart, you go to the cart to find the part number.

Sorry to hear your bike fell, hope you didn't get a lot of other damage in the process.

EDIT just checked the link and doesn't take you to the right page. Look along the left side and scroll down to the link for the transmission housing assembly.

Last edited by NC D'LUXE; 06-01-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:29 AM
87HDFXSTC
Novice

Thanks D'luxe. The more I read, the more I think it's the speed sensor. Sounds like if that goes bad it affects both the speedometer and the turn signal cancellation. I'll take a look tonight and let you know what I find out.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Check the plug to the tssm also for the signals and speedo. The unit is located behind the splash guard in front of the rear wheel.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:25 PM
87HDFXSTC
Novice

Thanks. I'll check the TSSM.

I thought I had it. I pulled the speed sensor out of the transmission and it was covered with metal shavings. I thought that maybe when the bike upset it allowed the metal shavings to collect on the magnet. So I cleaned it off and put it back together and it still doesn't work.

Anyone know how to test the speed sensor to see if it's bad?

Old 06-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Das_Fatboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure if this will help you, but it might help you. VSS Info There is a PDF listed on the page that has the information on how to test it. I know it is for a 2007, but I assume HD still uses the same sensor and the info should apply.

To me, it sounds like your bike would throw a code (P0501 or P0502) if the VSS was not working properly. Have you eliminated the speedometer yet? Since the dealer told you the auto cancel was located in the speedo, I would try to eliminate that as your problem.

Good luck and sorry to hear your bike fell, a better jack or tie down straps might be a good investment

Old 06-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Curdog
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Same thing happened to me on an 01 Electra Glide after riding a full day in the rain. Took it to the dealer and they called it the speedometer module. Replaced it and cured both problems.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:13 AM
87HDFXSTC
Novice

Das, the link you provided didn't work for me, but from what I have read the only way to test the speed sensor is to measture the resistance across the terminals and see if they are out of spec. Since the part isn't too bad ($50) I'll probably just replace it and see if that fixes the problem.

Is there a way I can see if my bike is throwing up any codes w/o taking it to the dealer? Thanks.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:50 PM
87HDFXSTC
Novice

Alright, replaced the speed sensor last night and that took care of the speedometer and the turn signal cancelling. Not sure if the bike being on it's side for a few minutes caused the old sensor to go bad or if this was just a coincidence, but glad it's now working.

Thanks for the help!

The following users liked this post:
chandler19d (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad to hear it is fixed and it was a simple fix.

Quick Reply: Speedo and Auto-Cancel Turn Signals not Working