Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 BCM codes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:58 PM
parkergeorge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 BCM codes?

Ive been looking around for hours now and can't seem to find the codes for the newer bikes. Ive found posts for older bikes and that the new bike have a completely new list of codes. All the post on here have codes that start with a letter. The codes my bike are throwing are 62166 and 62166. My BCM part number is 69993-11 which matches the recall part number. Will talk to the dealership about that in the morning. If anyone knows what these codes are or can give me a link to where I can find them it would really help.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by parkergeorge
Ive been looking around for hours now and can't seem to find the codes for the newer bikes. Ive found posts for older bikes and that the new bike have a completely new list of codes. All the post on here have codes that start with a letter. The codes my bike are throwing are 62166 and 62166. My BCM part number is 69993-11 which matches the recall part number. Will talk to the dealership about that in the morning. If anyone knows what these codes are or can give me a link to where I can find them it would really help.
Those are b's instead of 6's I made the same mistake trying to read my codes through the speedo display. The Electrical Diagnostic Manual is a wonderful piece of literature to have and the more I learn how these bikes work I believe it's required if you're going to do any of your own work. It's well written and easy to understand. Believe me I have used some god awful electrical info over the years.

B2166 = Running Lights Open Circut
DTC B2166 will only set if all lights are open on the circut. DTC B2166 will set if the running light circut is below 120 milliamps

Possible Causes: Open in running lights ground circut
Open in running lights power circut
BCM Malfunction

The diagnostic process is rather long and depends on which (if any) running lamps are working. Have you done any mods lately with or arround any of the lighting? Have you had the seat or the tank off? That is where most of the connectors for this circut are. I'm assuming that the other code you are getting is B2168 which is the same circut but shorted. Sometimes a circut will short first if a wire gets pinched and then later become open when a wire breaks and these wires are so damned small it doesnt take much. Hope some of this helps. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:50 PM
parkergeorge
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. Am going to get the electronic manual as soon as i can. Seems pretty obvious that they were b's now. The other code I got was 62161. I just had to replace the front left turn signal bulb since the filiment for the running light had gone out. Gonna have to go and check all the lights again and take a look under the seat. I changed out the gas gauge (in the tank) and added a usb port (under the seat) but that was months ago now. Will check the wires again just to be safe.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:26 PM
parkergeorge
Cruiser

Ok so after sitting around not riding for hours I have realized that its normally the easy fix. My front left bulb burned out causeing the inital code that I found a fix for. The logical thing to do would be to check to make sure all the other lights work. In my haste to get back out on the road I checked my rear turn signals and forgot to check the brake/ running light. It was burned out and that was the second code that I was unable to clear. Feel like a idiot but bike is good and im gonna go ride now.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:16 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Yeppers,,, the first time I read/looked at my re-out,, I thought the same thing... b looked like a 6...

Old 06-23-2012, 07:33 PM
goats
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that was great information and for that i must say thank you