Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

National Cycle " Stinger " windshield/fairing on FXSTBI Night Train...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:54 PM
NightTrainBM
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default National Cycle " Stinger " windshield/fairing on FXSTBI Night Train...

Been shopping for a fairing/windshield for my train. High and low. Basically only thing out there is normal blade style or flat pieces of lexan with a chrome brace. Not my style at all. My buddy has a Low Rider and ordered a Stinger from national cycle. Saw it, fell in love with it, had to have it.

But of course, they don't make it for a FXST. So, - I'm
Going to attempt to modify the hardware for my bike. Ordered it tonight. Will be here Friday or Monday. I will give you guys a play by play of my work. Wish me luck!!!

Google image search " national cycle stinger " to see what the hell I'm talking bout. Lol. I can't figure out how to post an image. Little help?! Thanks.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 PM
NightTrainBM
Advanced
Default Complete success!

IT WORKED!

To ALL FXST owners you CAN install a National Cycle Stinger windshield on your bike. Its super easy to retro fit and costs literally a few bucks to do.

The only thing needed from the mounting kit are the 4 round disc like mounting channels.. Everything else, unfortunately is not needed.

From the hardware store you'll need -

2 hose clamps slightly larger than your forks..
2 new hex head screws with matching nuts for the bottom mounts. ( I used 3/4" - 3/16 )

2 new hex head screws ( 1" x 5/16 shaft, fine thread 24) for the top mounts along with 6 washers ( 3 for each side)

On the FXST's there is a small bolt at the top of each fork on the out side edge. Its a safety bolt to keep the forks from spinning I believe. These will be replaced by the 1" x 5/16" bolts, along with 3 washers and the larger of the 2 round mounting channels from the kit.

I arranged the hose clamps so the screw part would be mostly out of sight on the inside of the forks. This is where you would be eyeing up a drill hole on the opposite side of the screw..

In order to fasten the lower half of the mounting bracket to your bike, you need to drill a hole in the hose clamp itself. The new bolt will sit between your fork and the clamp banding. Cheesy, I know - but it really cant be seen once the windshield is on.

I know these are VERY VAGUE directions.. Please follow the pics. I wont mind taking phone calls on this one... LOL message me and I'll glady talk you threw it... I hope this helps..

Attached Thumbnails National Cycle " Stinger " windshield/fairing on FXSTBI Night Train...-stinger-top1.jpg   National Cycle " Stinger " windshield/fairing on FXSTBI Night Train...-stinger-bottom.jpg   National Cycle " Stinger " windshield/fairing on FXSTBI Night Train...-stinger-1.jpg   National Cycle " Stinger " windshield/fairing on FXSTBI Night Train...-stinger-2.jpg  
Old 04-16-2012, 09:01 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Strong work dude, nice write up...

Old 04-17-2012, 04:59 AM
NightTrainBM
Advanced

Thanks man!! I was sweating at first. But after a lot of trial and error, 7 buds, and some minor cursing, I got it done... I copy and pasted my pics and work plan and sent it off to National Cycle. Let's see if they care. Lol.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:58 AM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member

lol, 7 huh? that would put me in the gray area of keep drinkin or take it easy... lol..

Old 04-17-2012, 06:28 AM
NightTrainBM
Advanced

Haha.. Well, I knew I wasn't going to be riding. My bike is not my bar stool. My Ole lady was out with her friends, and the Boston station on pandora radio was keeping my attention, 7 turned into the 12 pack after it was complete. Lol. Celebration purposes obviously.

At first I was going for a West Coast Dyna look. With the 10 inch T-Bar and either the Arlen Ness 1/4 fairing or if I could get my hands on a factory Dyna Super Glide Sport fairing. ( which are basically no where to be found ). Once I saw this set up, I did away with the T bar idea, and just kept with what I had already. ( factory drag bars and 5.5" risers with an 1" pull back ". I'm super happy with the turn out. It still is completely detachable and I still have some room for adjustment of I wanted it at a slightly lower angle.

I understand that they don't make the FXST's anymore. But PLENTLY of people still have a lot of want for parts and accessories. I wish manufacturers would remember that...

Old 04-17-2012, 06:40 AM
NightTrainBM
Advanced

Off topic question - how do I setup my posts like you have where you have a big pic of your ride and all your mods come up automatically? I can't seem to figure it out..

Old 04-17-2012, 06:52 AM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member

Easy dude. go to the upper left corner where it says "user cp"

click on that, then in the left side theres an option for "edit signature" click on that...

upload whatever picture you want to photobucket or whatever picture site you use, if you don't use one photobucket is free and easy. you just upload your pictures to make an album and it gives you a web address for your picture.

in the blank box put in: [sigpic] put the web address here of your picture [/sigpic]

Old 04-17-2012, 10:19 AM
NightTrainBM
Advanced

SWEET... I think I got it....

Old 06-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Savoia
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stinger Windshield on my 2007 Harley Fatboy

I just installed the detachable Stinger windshield on my Harley Fatboy, first of all I think it looks great and it actually works great deflecting wind off my chest on face area. I'm 5'10 and the highest position works perfect for me. If you're over 5'10 you might need a taller windshield. Bottom line it does work better than nothing and in my opinion looks good too.
Savoia

Attached Thumbnails National Cycle " Stinger " windshield/fairing on FXSTBI Night Train...-securedownload.jpg   National Cycle " Stinger " windshield/fairing on FXSTBI Night Train...-securedownload-1.jpg  

Quick Reply: National Cycle " Stinger " windshield/fairing on FXSTBI Night Train...