Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy Lo with V&H 2-into-1 and H-D detachable bags

Old 07-19-2012, 11:09 PM
kevinha
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Boy Lo with V&H 2-into-2 and H-D detachable bags

I've a 2012 Fat Boy Lo with the H-D detachable saddle bags. I'm preparing to install V&H Big Radius 2-into-2.

It appears that the forward mounting post for the saddle bag is the same bracket used by the passenger peg, and I know from looking at the V&H installation instructions that the peg needs to move.

I fear I'm going to run into an issue with the saddle bag hardware. Can anyone confirm or deny if this is going to be a problem? And if it is, suggestions for dealing with it?

Last edited by kevinha; 07-21-2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Correcting title
Old 07-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Loride
Intermediate

What kind of bags? I have a fatboy lo 2011 with V&H 2-1 big radius exhaust with HD leather locking saddle bags... Fit just fine.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:27 AM
kevinha
Intermediate

They are the H-D Detachable Leather Saddlebags - Smooth. The bags have an arm that attach to a bolt above the passenger peg.

I found an image of the configuration, telling me that it's doable:

v-twinforum com / gallery / showphoto.php?photo=9357&ppuser=82791

but I can tell that the forward arm on the bag has somehow been modified to run at a different angle. It's also difficult to tell from the photo if the bracket that holds the bolt has been modified or just rotated back.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:34 AM
kevinha
Intermediate

And for some reason I put 2-into-1 in the subject and 2-into-2 in the body. It's 2-into-2 ...

Old 07-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Ed McLellan
Advanced

2:2 is fine no mod necessary.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:40 AM
kevinha
Intermediate

That's encouraging, Ed. Thanks.

So even with the peg having to be relocated for the 2:2 installation, will the H-D docking hardware for that forward arm of the bag stay in the same place? I'm having trouble envisioning raising of the peg per the 2:2 installation instructions and keeping the bag mounting hardware in the same position.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:07 AM
jneubig
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinha
That's encouraging, Ed. Thanks.

So even with the peg having to be relocated for the 2:2 installation, will the H-D docking hardware for that forward arm of the bag stay in the same place? I'm having trouble envisioning raising of the peg per the 2:2 installation instructions and keeping the bag mounting hardware in the same position.
The peg will not have to be moved for the 2-2. It is only relocated for the 2-1 Big Radius. The 2-1 rides higher.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:08 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Should be no problem if you don't have to relocate. I have the same bags and changed to aftermarket floor boards, and I had to turn that bracket around because I removed the spacer behind it. I have Rush crossover exhaust. Worst part about that setup is, the cutout in the back of the bag for the stock exhaust doesn't need to be there and looks a little funny.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:41 PM
kevinha
Intermediate

Alright; I'm encouraged by the feedback. With that, I took the bike in and am having the pipes put on Monday morning.

After having given myself a heart attack with a botched Ness Big Sucker install (breather bolt definitely not happy at 3# of torque ...), I'm opting to let a trained professional who has played with the O2 sensor wiring and pipe mounting before do this.

I'll report back Monday evening with the results and confirmation that the bag configuration continues to work with the new pipes.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:42 PM
kevinha
Intermediate

Originally Posted by av8or
Worst part about that setup is, the cutout in the back of the bag for the stock exhaust doesn't need to be there and looks a little funny.
Yeah, the way the back of the bag is built really limits space within the bag as well. I really like they're detachable so I can put them on for longer trips. Any suggestions on other detachable bags that have a better form?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fat Boy Lo with V&H 2-into-1 and H-D detachable bags