Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The definitive "I call bull$hit on (exc. FXSTD)" thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Liberator
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes! Bring it on!

Old 08-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Ty Webb
Intermediate

This thread is exactly what I have been hoping for. I want those flush mount black gauges for my tank!!!!

Old 08-05-2012, 11:16 AM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Yookdew
Next mod I am doing is a seat and sissy bar/pad for my wife. Like those side plates you listed but I would love one that is quick disconnect for when I ride solo. Any ideas?
I looked and looked for a quick detach sissy bar before I went with the side plates I have now, I couldn't find anything at all, either through HD or aftermarket, unfortunately. But that was when I was going to do drag bars. Since I went with apes instead, I think the permanent sissy bar fits well with it.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Liberator
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sixshooter
I looked and looked for a quick detach sissy bar before I went with the side plates I have now, I couldn't find anything at all, either through HD or aftermarket, unfortunately. But that was when I was going to do drag bars. Since I went with apes instead, I think the permanent sissy bar fits well with it.
Damn, that's too bad as I have drag bars on and I'd love to find a quick detach kit.

Which side plates did you finally go with?

Old 08-05-2012, 04:10 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

bs huh? i know all too well this quote it goes a little somethin like this
"except fxcw" if i had a dollar for everytime i heard that bullchit id buy a fatboy
or new wideglide LOL
great idear for thread hd can go "pound sand"

Old 08-05-2012, 04:32 PM
sixshooter
Road Master

Originally Posted by Liberator
Damn, that's too bad as I have drag bars on and I'd love to find a quick detach kit.

Which side plates did you finally go with?
Cycle visions

Old 08-05-2012, 07:12 PM
1sssickdeuce
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
Keep in mind, aftermarket parts are available that do fit the deuce. Quality seems to be better as well
+1 on aftermarket parts and quality.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:34 PM
sixshooter
Road Master

Well, mod season has been good so far, and I figured I'd put up some info on my most important mod from this winter.

My bike:
07 Deuce

My Mod:
Outlaw 2" extended forward controls w/kickstand (2000-up softail)

Mods required:
brake pressure switch relocation and wiring

Mods suggested/possible:
1" spacers and hardware added on each side to widen foot/leg position (may differ by rider comfort)
drill/tap peg mount stalks for peg pitch adjustment screws

I got a set of Outlaw Cycle 2" extended forward controls from a member on this site for a killer deal. Here is the link:

http://www.outlawcycleproducts.com/f...outlaw-chrome/

Now they don't say "exc. FXSTD" but they do not exactly bolt right on problem free, so I figured this would be a good reference for anyone wanting to do aftermarket forwards on their deuce. Physically, they do bolt directly to the frame. But I don't know if the rocker frame is wider at the mounts or what, but these controls are about 1 3/4" PER SIDE skinnier than factory. So from footpeg tip to footpeg tip overall, you're losing about 3" of overall width. My knees hit my air cleaner and horn way too much for my liking, so I had my father (machinist) make me up some 1" spacers to put between the FC mount surface and frame. Some chrome, 3/8x16" flat head bolts are readily available at fastenal, I grabbed 6 but was able to use 3 of the ones that came with the controls for the left side on the right, then cut 3 bolts down to 2 1/4" to use on the left to hold the peg mount plate, kick stand plate, and spacers all to the frame.

The extended brake line came with the kit, but again, is not just plug and play for the deuce. Not sure how other softails are set up, but the brake pressure switch for the brake light is right smack dab in the center, under the trans cover, of the factory brake line, and it's not able to be disassembled from the line and put in the extended one. Well, drag specialties sells a banjo bolt with a built in pressure switch and 10" pigtail harness for about $20. So after pulling my brake light switch wires out of the wire loom and exiting them behind the trans, I was able to splice them into the new switch wires which were coming from the banjo bolt now in my rear caliper. I also needed a new 90 degree banjo fitting with a jic end to attach the extended brake line to at the caliper.

Only other thing I need is a fine thread (I think 5/16) chrome bolt to attach the shifter linkage helm joint to the transmission input lever and I'll be all set! One other thing I did do was keep my Willie G pegs, because my pass pegs, grips, shift and brake pedals are all Willie G. However, these FCs had pegs that were drilled and tapped with a set screw to adjust the pitch of the pegs. Well there isn't enough meat on the Willie G pegs to do that, so I took the peg mount stalks off the FCs and drilled and tapped them for the set screws so the peg pitch is still adjustable. Only downfall is you have to remove the pegs to get the Allen wrench in there to adjust them. But it's not that hard.

I know that actually sounds like a lot of stuff, but it's more time consuming. In the end I got:

FCs with kickstand and brake line, slightly used, for $225. (Well over $500 new)
Banjo bolt pressure switch and 90 degree banjo fitting for $35
Chrome bolts from fastenal were about $17
Spacers were free, but again probably fastenal for under $20 I'd assume.
And some time measuring, drilling and tapping a few holes, etc.

Pics aren't the greatest, but there will be more this spring when it's all together and outside in better lighting.

Here is a pic of the left side fc bracket with the 1" spacers I added to widen the stance a bit:

Here is a pic of the 90 degree banjo fitting (left) and the banjo bolt with pressure switch (right) I added:

And here is a view of the peg stalk rotated 180 degrees and the peg folded in to show the set screw I drilled and tapped into the stalk for:

Last edited by sixshooter; 03-21-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Braz117
Novice

Originally Posted by sixshooter
I've had my deuce for 3 years now and put some time and money into it, and anyone who has done the same is all too familiar with seeing a mod they really want, and then seeing "00-later softail (exc. FXSTD)" Well there have been many times I've talked to people in person and on forums like this one who have run into the same problem, but have spent the money anyway and come to find out... it fits! So why HD puts (exc. FXSTD) in the description of all the cool stuff they sell is beyond me, but I think this thread would be very helpful if sticky'd for all the other deuce owners out there who want something for their bike, but don't have the time/money to buy it and just find out there's no way it'll fit.

If we could keep it simple, descriptive, and a few pics if need be, that's appreciated. List the year and important characteristics of your bike, the part that you put on it by part number and what bikes/years it was actually marketed for. And then list the modifications, if any, you had to make for it to fit. And by modifications, I mean like swapping 2 wires in the pigtail said mod, not something you had to cut a frame section out for and have welded back in. Again... simple, bolt on mods.

My bike:
07 Deuce (fuel injected)

My mod:
HD flush mount LED fuel gauge and tank cap, chrome

Made for:
08-up FXCW/C, part number 62811-08

Modification required:
Nothing.

See how simple? I can post pics later if need be. Anyone else?

I would love to see some pictures of these mounted on your bike. I have always wanted to put them on my deuce but never thought they fit.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

AFAIK, the only pieces on the Deuce that separate it from it's other Softail cousin are the tank, seat, and fender.

I haven't bought any real bolt on mods unless a seat counts and that's a Lepera Bare Bones. Most of the stuff I've done has been removing things from the bike.

A 17x6 softail custom wheel will fit on the back with some modification and will allow you to run a 200 series tire.

Quick Reply: The definitive "I call bull$hit on (exc. FXSTD)" thread