Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light stays on.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:04 AM
calshd
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light stays on.

I have a 2008 softail heritage with a brake light problem. With the ignition on or while riding, the brake light stays on. Any ideas?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:10 AM
astark
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's probably the brake light switch at the brake lever, there is a little post in there you can hardly see that can get stuck causing the brake light to stay on.

I have got to get to work, maybe someone else can chime in on how to clean or replace, not as easy as you would hope.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:34 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

There also was/is a recall on the rear switch.. the heat from the cat is melting some of them..

Might call Ur dealer to see if Ur bike is included.

Nope, Not Urs... just found this..

The company said in documents filed last week with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that brake light switches can be exposed to too much heat from the exhaust system. The heat can cause the brake lights to fail, and the problem also can cause fluid leaks and the loss of rear brakes, the documents said.
The problem affects Touring, CVO Touring and Trike motorcycles from the 2009 through 2012 model years. They were built between June 6, 2008 and Sept. 16, 2011.
Harley says it will notify owners of the recall. Dealers will install a rear brake light switch kit free of charge.

Might try to clean the area around the switch and check Ur wiring or might just need a new one..

Last edited by oct1949; 08-13-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:39 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,907 Likes on 3,015 Posts

What was stated earlier. Plus try to unplug the wire from the rear brake switch. If the switch is bad the light will go off. Then you can atleast ride it to get a new switch. The front brake switch will turn on the brake light. Hopefully it isn't the front switch.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you've changed the front brake lever you probably broke the switch. It's happened to a lot of folks.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Get a set screw, a small one and you can take off the top of your right switch housing and simply drop the set screw in between plunger and the post on the lever. This assumes that your switch is still good. Ghetto but works like a charm.
If it is in fact the switch the part is $20 but it is a pita swapping them. If it's the rear that can be a pain if u got br 2/2 or some other exhaust that obstructs you, not to mention bleeding the brakes.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If it is a bad front brake light switch don't pay 50-60 bucks at the dealer. You can get them for 16 bucks here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...f517f1&vxp=mtr

Old 08-13-2012, 01:15 PM
guitar
Cruiser

I had the same problem and "fixed it" or at least made it work by cutting one of the anti theft strips that come inside a DVD in half sticking the halves together and sticking them to the back side of the brake lever in front of the the switch. That added enough of a spacer to make the switch work properly. This idea did not originate with me, I picked it up off of another post over a year ago. It's worked fine so far.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:05 PM
HDUK
Tourer

I have had this on my Old Heritage and now my Crossbones the front brake light switch would stick on so I used WD40 spray oil inside the brake lever where the switch is a couple of quick squeezes on the lever and it seems to free it

Old 08-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by guitar
I had the same problem and "fixed it" or at least made it work by cutting one of the anti theft strips that come inside a DVD in half sticking the halves together and sticking them to the back side of the brake lever in front of the the switch. That added enough of a spacer to make the switch work properly. This idea did not originate with me, I picked it up off of another post over a year ago. It's worked fine so far.
Great idea for a quick fix. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Brake light stays on.