Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Deluxe handlebar wobble on decel

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:21 PM
peteyvw
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Deluxe handlebar wobble on decel

I have a 2010 Softail Deluxe FLSTN with 5100 miles. It recently started having a bad wobble in the front end. It's not an up and down vibration, it's a side to side wobble that can be felt the most while decelerating. It feels like the bike is going into a tankslapper with or without my hands on the bars. It's worse while decelerating from high speeds, when I get down to about 35 it mostly goes away.

I had the bearings checked as well as the pressure during my 5000 mile service. The mechanic said that the front tire had good tread but was starting to cup.

Would replacing the front tire help this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Blackysporty
Road Master

How bad is the tire cupped?

Old 08-13-2012, 11:07 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Loose spokes? Give them the tap test. Seems to be the problem of the summer.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Beagletim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+1 on checking your spokes.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:45 AM
StuBerger
Advanced

Bearing adjustment might be needed on steering head..

Oops..didn't see you had them checked...

Last edited by StuBerger; 08-14-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:22 AM
bulldog82098
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peteyvw
I have a 2010 Softail Deluxe FLSTN with 5100 miles. It recently started having a bad wobble in the front end. It's not an up and down vibration, it's a side to side wobble that can be felt the most while decelerating. It feels like the bike is going into a tankslapper with or without my hands on the bars. It's worse while decelerating from high speeds, when I get down to about 35 it mostly goes away.

I had the bearings checked as well as the pressure during my 5000 mile service. The mechanic said that the front tire had good tread but was starting to cup.

Would replacing the front tire help this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It's your spokes. I'll bet it's not the front but the back wheel that is causing it. Grab several spokes on the wheel with one hand and squeeze. It you feel any movement at all then they are loose. My bike (2010 Heritage which is out of warranty) is at the dealership right now getting the rear rim replaced. HD is covering the cost as this has been an ongoing problem. They won't admit it to you over the phone but take your bike in to the dealer and keep bitching and they will take care of it!!

Another thing is the dealer should have checked your spokes at the 5000 mile service, they will tell you they did but seldom do or they would have caught this!!

Last edited by bulldog82098; 08-14-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 AM
peteyvw
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Blackysporty
How bad is the tire cupped?
They said that the tire isn't cupped bad at all. That it was just starting.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 AM
peteyvw
2nd Gear

Thanks for the replies guys.

My new tire is coming in on Thursday and the bike is going back to the shop on Friday. I'm going to have them put the new front tire on and check the spokes on both the front and back rim.

Hopefully between the new tire and tightening the spokes the vibration will go away. We've been having some nice riding weather in CT and I'd much rather ride my Deluxe than my streetbike.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:16 AM
bulldog82098
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peteyvw
Thanks for the replies guys.

My new tire is coming in on Thursday and the bike is going back to the shop on Friday. I'm going to have them put the new front tire on and check the spokes on both the front and back rim.

Hopefully between the new tire and tightening the spokes the vibration will go away. We've been having some nice riding weather in CT and I'd much rather ride my Deluxe than my streetbike.
Tightening the spokes won't solve the problem for long. They will work loose again in a short time. Harley put out a bunch of defective rims, even some of the 2012's are having trouble.I would insist on a new rim! Find out if they even checked the spokes at the 5000 mark because if they did, and had to tighten them, then there is your proof.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 PM
peteyvw
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bulldog82098
It's your spokes. I'll bet it's not the front but the back wheel that is causing it. Grab several spokes on the wheel with one hand and squeeze. It you feel any movement at all then they are loose. My bike (2010 Heritage which is out of warranty) is at the dealership right now getting the rear rim replaced. HD is covering the cost as this has been an ongoing problem. They won't admit it to you over the phone but take your bike in to the dealer and keep bitching and they will take care of it!!

Another thing is the dealer should have checked your spokes at the 5000 mile service, they will tell you they did but seldom do or they would have caught this!!
I went out to the garage after work today to feel the spokes on both the front and back wheel. The front spokes were tight and didn't move at all when squeezing or pushing them.

The back spokes are definitely loose. They moved easily when squeezing and pushing them. Some were so loose that you could wiggle them and they would slide in and out of the hub a tad.

I spoke with the dealer today and they said that they checked both my front and rear spokes during the 5000 mile service and that they were tight and needed no attention. Judging by what I saw in my garage tonight I would say that they forgot to check/tighten the rear spokes at the very least.

I think my smartest course of action is to have the front and rear spokes checked again and tightened and then take the bike for a ride. If the ride smooths out and it was indeed the rear spokes, I'm planning on holding off on installing the new front tire as mine still has a healthy amount of tread left. If the ride doesn't entirely smooth out then the new tire will be installed immeditely.

Do you guys have any input on if I should just throw the new front tire on right away or if I should have the spokes tightened, test ride the bike and then go from there as far as tire replacement goes?

Quick Reply: 2010 Deluxe handlebar wobble on decel