Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softtail SLIM - Let's see the Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 05:57 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiowa Pilot
Awesome Look! Exactly what I have been planning, just wasn't sure how to make the tractor seat work. Looks nostalgic as S***.

Not sure if you've searched & found this thread or not, it has
some useful information....
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ing-seats.html

Hope this helps,

T.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:28 AM
Kiowa Pilot
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Not sure if you've searched & found this thread or not, it has
some useful information....
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ing-seats.html

Hope this helps,

T.
Not sure how I missed this thread. Thanks for sharing!

Old 07-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiowa Pilot
Awesome Look! Exactly what I have been planning, just wasn't sure how to make the tractor seat work. Looks nostalgic as S***.

Are you catching more wind sitting up a couple inches? I have long legs and am hoping it would move the seat position aft a couple inches too.

Nice looking bike.
Kiowa. I am NOT done with the seat mounting. I want to move the FRONT of the seat back 1/2" or so and down a bit, so that the seat is "level" when I drop the back seat mount.
The seat mounting hardware I am temporarily using is from a CrossBones. The XBones springs are farther apart than the Slim Solo "hairpin" seat springs, so I don't have the ECM cover on right now. (Plastic ECM Cover holes are closer together, only fit the Slim hairpin springs, mount).

So, I am still experimenting. I had the Crossbones seat on, and it was too tall/ high for me. The extra Xbones padding is another inch or more higher than this Tractor seat.

You asked about "catching more wind sitting up a couple inches"?

Short answer, No:-) I wear a full face Arai, and there is less buffeting Due to sitting up a bit higher. (Clean air at head height). There "may" be more wind on my chest, difficult to say. Found a black "Slim" Harley windshield (Craigslist). I only use the Windshield for Long FWY rides, and I might use in the SO CAL winter as well. Less buffeting with the windshield as well. This windshield is at nose height with the stock slim seat, and I sit above it an inch or 2 higher with the tractor seat now. Much less buffeting, and quieter, but this is a whole different subject.

BIG CHANGE 1. Leg room: The bike feels like I moved the footboards forward. More legroom.
2: Leg room to the ground. I LOVE the extra height to the ground while seated. I can move the bike/ back it up in the garage or when parked EASIER. The stock seat had my legs bent so much I felt like I was on a mini bike when at a stop light, etc.
I'm 6", 32 inch inseam.
3. I rotated the handlebars up a bit, they are "level" with the ground now.
With the stock seat, you sit so low the stock bars are "almost" ape hangars. Although the bar height is acceptable, note that the seat to bar height change is noticeable.
I would have kept the stock seat, but it is not comfortable for more than 15 min. Stock seat was GREAT for the 10 min test ride, LOL.
Steve

Old 07-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Default ECM / fender cover.

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Lookin' good. Hard to tell from your pictures, but what kind
of a frame cover do you have ? Also, where'd you put
the ECM & how did you fill in its hole in the fender ?

Thanks!

T.
The ECM is sitting on top of the battery with double sided tape. No frame / battery cover at the moment, I hope to use the "Slim" plastic cover when I change the springs and mount back to hairpin/ torsion springs.
I was planning to relocate the ECM behind the Oil tank, but I may not have room there due to anti lock brake system.

I might try one of those small batteries some day, that would free up room to make the battery area flat, and more more like a hard tail:-)

I made a cover to fill the gigantic square fender "hole" out of plastic. It is easy to remove, I used auto part plastic plugs on each side like the original plastic plug at the top of the stock ECM mount. I have also used black zip ties. Since the plastic is gloss black, I did not paint. Its no where near show quality, but I have positive comments on it in person. I tried to get a close up photo:

Attached Thumbnails Softtail SLIM - Let's see the Pics!!!-cover.jpg  

Last edited by Jetfever; 07-24-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Default Front Seat mount: Help please.

I want to move the front of my tractor seat back and down a bit.

The seat has "mounting rails" that I might be able to cut off, but then what?
How would I bolt or attach the front mount? I was thinking of bonding the seat mount/ hinge with a very high strength aircraft epoxy…

I have both front seat mounts available to modify:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-16-5437510--1

I am using this one right now because it just bolts right on:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ket-spring-kit

The V Twin front seat hinge part "might" work, first page on this link:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-fxst-c-b.html

Any Ideas?

Last edited by Jetfever; 07-24-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Kiowa Pilot
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jetfever
I want to move the front of my tractor seat back and down a bit.

The seat has "mounting rails" that I might be able to cut off, but then what?
How would I bolt or attach the front mount? I was thinking of bonding the seat mount/ hinge with a very high strength aircraft epoxy…

I have both front seat mounts available to modify:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-16-5437510--1

I am using this one right now because it just bolts right on:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ket-spring-kit

The V Twin front seat hinge part "might" work, first page on this link:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-fxst-c-b.html

Any Ideas?
Any pics of the underside of the mounts? trying to think of how the front of the mount you are using could be modified.

Is crossbones kit you posted the link to, able to be mounted directly to the slim?

sorry Just trying to keep it all straight? Keep us posted.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:26 AM
gnil
Stage III

I have been looking at all your beautiful Slims since a few month and wanted now to contribute.
I bought my Slim last september and have now done the '' basic'' mods I wanted to do in order to suit my taste. It has a stage 1 ( intake, exhaust + mapping ) and I am planning on a stage 2 next spring ( camshafts ).
I plan also an ape .
I am very happy withe bike ( 1rst HD I have ever owned ) and want to thank for all the posters on this forum helping people like me get a better grip on what is possible .
here are a few pics I have done this week end.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:17 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gnil
I have been looking at all your beautiful Slims since a few month and wanted now to contribute.
I bought my Slim last september and have now done the '' basic'' mods I wanted to do in order to suit my taste. It has a stage 1 ( intake, exhaust + mapping ) and I am planning on a stage 2 next spring ( camshafts ).
I plan also an ape .
I am very happy withe bike ( 1rst HD I have ever owned ) and want to thank for all the posters on this forum helping people like me get a better grip on what is possible .
here are a few pics I have done this week end.

Nice Slim!

Well, that settles it...reflectors coming off the front forks...

Old 07-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Badbagger09
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I like the fork brace look instead of the fender.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:07 AM
Nydrin
5th Gear

Originally Posted by gnil
I plan also an ape .
Hi gnil,

I am very interested having a chat with you, may be sharing a beer. I do own a Slim too since 2 months and there few of your options I would like to talk about. I do leave very close to you (Geneva). Let me know if you're interested.

Here are some picture (from stock) of my loved "Orange Candy" Slim. Funny to call this color "Orange " as most of the time it looks much more red than orange. It is a bit nasty on the picture as the red seem to get saturated on the pictures turning into orange, but that's really how it looks like ^^
I added later a saddle bag from Bag&G, a small luggage rack (motherwell) and DIY handgrip
I am planning adding a linbar later on. I also would like to mount a smaller AC to give the engine the right focus, the stock AC being a bit oversized.

Last edited by Nydrin; 07-28-2014 at 05:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Softtail SLIM - Let's see the Pics!!!