Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help 2003 deuce

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:45 PM
luckyred
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help 2003 deuce

hey guys im new to the site and have a question for you experts. i have a 2003 fxstdi that has the lucky red paint set on it. my problem is the speedo stops working as im going down the road. i have replaced the speed sensors three times now and the speedo its self three times. the harley shop had it for over a month and could not figure it out. when i pull up to a stop sign the bike dies when the speedo isnt working. one time it did die while riding down the road. it does start everytime and its hit and miss when the speedo works. any help would be great its getting expensive buying speedos from harley. thanks
jamie

Old 08-28-2012, 03:41 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

No clue, but find a good independent service shop and take it there.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:10 PM
luckyred
6th Gear

rice lake harley had the bike for over a month while it was under warranty. they tried a ecm, intake gaskets, plugs and wires. then harley said try a speedo. that worked for a lil while. if im going down the road and the speedo is reading zero alot of times i can pull the clutch in and shut the bike off and re start it then it works.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 PM
greg k
Cruiser

Originally Posted by luckyred
rice lake harley had the bike for over a month while it was under warranty. they tried a ecm, intake gaskets, plugs and wires. then harley said try a speedo. that worked for a lil while. if im going down the road and the speedo is reading zero alot of times i can pull the clutch in and shut the bike off and re start it then it works.
Maybe a ground issue!!!??just a thought

Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 PM
luckyred
6th Gear

kinda my thoughts to. just wonder why the harley dealer couldnt find it when they had the bike? might have to pull the bike apart this winter and start looking. any ideas on where to start looking?? thanks for the help so far

Old 08-28-2012, 09:06 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

My bike would do something similar when I was having battery issues due to my counter balancers being out of time. That's another story, but I would take a good look at the battery and charging system. They go whacky when the voltage drops to 9.6 volts, my speedo would do the same thing, I ended up mounting a VOM to the tank to figure things out....

Old 08-28-2012, 09:26 PM
luckyred
6th Gear

Originally Posted by kkiley
My bike would do something similar when I was having battery issues due to my counter balancers being out of time. That's another story, but I would take a good look at the battery and charging system. They go whacky when the voltage drops to 9.6 volts, my speedo would do the same thing, I ended up mounting a VOM to the tank to figure things out....
that could be a option!! i did replace the battery this year but still could be something in the charging system

Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 PM
kkiley
Road Master

Yep, takes some digging, but you'll find it. Good luck!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:00 PM
luckyred
6th Gear

Originally Posted by kkiley
Yep, takes some digging, but you'll find it. Good luck!

thank you very much ill keep everyone posted on what i find.. any ideas where to start or just dig in?? thanks again

Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 AM
kkiley
Road Master

Ok, here's some thoughts. The speedo not working is not causing your bike not to run. it's a symptom. Start with buying some cheap leads for a VOM at Harbor freight, cut the ends off, hook it up directly to you battery, secure the VOM to the tank with zip ties, go ride it and watch what happens. Your voltage should be around 12.6 at idle, and jump upwards of 14 volts while you are running. Mine runs at 14.3 If you have an issue and your voltage is in this range, you can eliminate a charging system issue.
My issue was the bank angle sensor. It had a broken wire in the harness and caused my bike to shut off randomly. My sensor is different than yours, as it is separate, and yours is built into the turn signal mechanism, but they have been known to be an issue.
I really think you have a stator/voltage regulator issue. Try the solution above, it's simple to do, and let us know.

Quick Reply: need help 2003 deuce