Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sliding gas tank back for access to wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Sliding gas tank back for access to wiring

I have decided to keep my stock bars and drill holes in them to run the control wiring through them.

I just have a few questions...

1.Can I just slide my tank back to get access to the wiring harness for the controls so I can unplug them and run them through the bars?

2. If I slide the tank back, do I just need to remove the fuel line before sliding it back if I am careful? Should I remove the fuel fuse and run the bike to release pressure or can just remove the line without making a mess. If I need to remove the fuse, where is it? I cannot seem to find it in the service manual (duh).

3. I assume I can leave my clutch controls and brake controls intact since I am going to taking the wiring apart at the other end to run them through the bars?

Thanks to you guys!

EDIT: Decided to buy some Wild 1 Chubby 12" Outlawz instead of butchering my stock bars. Bars are on order, wish me the best

Last edited by ghoticov; 09-01-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

My bike is sitting out front bar-less with the tank slide back right now.

1. Yes, you should have enough room to unplug the wires.
2. Pull the bolts, unplug the fuel line and breather line on the front of the tank, slide it back. Keep an eye on the little plug/wires for the fuel gauge. No need to run the fuel out or pull any plugs.
3. yes and no... You should stuff a piece OD cardboard behind the brake lever to prevent breaking the switch. You might have to loosen the adjuster for the clutch to skied the housing over enough to pull the wires.

Good luck. Removing the plugs without destroying them is a major pain in the ***!

Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Rayvan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the fuel pump fuse and start the bike, it will release the pressure in the hose. It's a good idea or it may shoot you in the face. I don't think you'll be able to move the tank back enough to get to the handlebar wires, they're tucked in there pretty tight. I'd just remove the tank. Get it out of the way so you don't scratch it up.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:55 PM
thosehawks
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to get to my wires without much hassle by sliding the tank back.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:08 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Where is the fuel pump fuse?

Old 08-29-2012, 11:10 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by yzergod
My bike is sitting out front bar-less with the tank slide back right now.

1. Yes, you should have enough room to unplug the wires.
2. Pull the bolts, unplug the fuel line and breather line on the front of the tank, slide it back. Keep an eye on the little plug/wires for the fuel gauge. No need to run the fuel out or pull any plugs.
3. yes and no... You should stuff a piece OD cardboard behind the brake lever to prevent breaking the switch. You might have to loosen the adjuster for the clutch to skied the housing over enough to pull the wires.

Good luck. Removing the plugs without destroying them is a major pain in the ***!
What do you mean by OD cardboard?

Is there any tips to removing the plugs without destroying them? Because if that happens it wouldn't be good because I have no idea how to solder wires back together. Lol

Old 08-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I just did my bars on my 2008 Crossbones and I was not able to slide back the tank far enough to get the control wires unplugged. Sliding it back only allowed me to reach the turn signal and headlight plugs. I wish it was as easy as some say for my bike. You'll just have to try it and see if it works. If it doesn't, removing the tank all the way is not really hard, just messy because you have to undo the crossover and gas will spill everywhere. There are a number of ways to help this but they are all a pain in the ***.

You should run your bike with the fuel pump fuse pulled. Do you know where your fuses are? On my bike, the fuel pump fuse is on the very right of the fuse box, practically by itself. It's one of the blue ones.

Undoing the wires from the plugs is pretty easy. Unfortunately it is easier to do then it is to explain. You should get a service manual if you don't have one. The only tip I can offer you besides looking into a service manual is that you can use a sturdy needle held with pair of needle nose pliers to poke into the tiny holes that release each wire from the connector. This saved me from having to buy the recommend listed in the manual.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
I just did my bars on my 2008 Crossbones and I was not able to slide back the tank far enough to get the control wires unplugged. Sliding it back only allowed me to reach the turn signal and headlight plugs. I wish it was as easy as some say for my bike. You'll just have to try it and see if it works. If it doesn't, removing the tank all the way is not really hard, just messy because you have to undo the crossover and gas will spill everywhere. There are a number of ways to help this but they are all a pain in the ***.

You should run your bike with the fuel pump fuse pulled. Do you know where your fuses are? On my bike, the fuel pump fuse is on the very right of the fuse box, practically by itself. It's one of the blue ones.

Undoing the wires from the plugs is pretty easy. Unfortunately it is easier to do then it is to explain. You should get a service manual if you don't have one. The only tip I can offer you besides looking into a service manual is that you can use a sturdy needle held with pair of needle nose pliers to poke into the tiny holes that release each wire from the connector. This saved me from having to buy the recommend listed in the manual.
I was able to find the fuses. They are right behind the battery in front of the ECM. On one side of the fuse cover is a list of which fuse is which...which should be helpful. Lol I do have a service manual and according to it, it is a little different from what the fuse box cover says. The cover says its on the top right, right next to the main relay fuses but the manual says its the bottom right, right next to the main relay. I think I will go with what is on the fuse box cover though.

I have read some can access the wiring while others can't (like yourself). I guess I will just have to slide it back and see. I really really really don't want to remove the whole tank and deal with draining it and dealing with the crossover lines (and fuel everywhere).

I've tried to find in the manual where is talks about undoing the wires from the plugs but can't seem to find it. I will keep looking though.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:09 AM
lupus
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Not knowing specifically what those connectors are, I used a very small screwdriver to push the pins out of the sealed connectors for the rear turn signals when I put on the relocation kit. Had to push them harder than I thought I would, but they did pop out.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:16 AM
lupus
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

One more thing, I made sure I took a lot of pics w my phone on the wire colors and orientation in the connectors before I started popping them out. My wire colors were different then my service manual said. Came in handy when I went to pop the wires back into the connectors.

Quick Reply: Sliding gas tank back for access to wiring