Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 EFI Heritiage Won't Start

Old 08-07-2005, 06:28 PM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 EFI Heritiage Won't Start

Hi. I'm new to the forum and to Harley ownership, so pardon any stupid questions. 2,400 miles on a 2004 Heritage with EFI. My fuel gauge has been acting funny lately. Reading full all the time. Yesterday while riding back from a lobster bake (yes, it's good to live in Maine in the summer, winters not so good) and I almost ran out of gas. The bike was coughing and sputtering, the low fuel light never came on. I pulled over was able to buy a gallon or two of gas from a home owner. The bike started right up, fuel gauge read full even though I know it wasn't. I made it to a gas station and filled up. No problems getting home. I removed the speedo/dash cover and checked the connections, by removing them and re-connecting. All seemed tight. Replaced the dash. Today the bike wouldn't start. Check engine light and low fuel light come on, then the engine light goes out, and then comes back on. Low fuel light stays on. The fuel pump does not sound like it is pumping, not making that whirring sound when the ignition switch is turned. I have charged the battery, checked all the fuses, checked the spark plugs for fouling, checked the connections several times under the dash and the one under the front left side of the tank. All seem tight. Of course, I haven't purchased the service manual yet. Any idea what this problem is? Can anyone tell me how to remove the tank? I wanted to remove the plate under the dash to access the pump, but since the tank is full I suspect it will leak when I remove the plate. I know there's a bolt up front and one at the rear. Does the fuel line come off with a quick connect, and if so does the tank have to be drained first? Thanks

Old 08-07-2005, 08:14 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: 2004 EFI Heritiage Won't Start

First off, the gauge not working sounds like the float hung up, very common, the light not coming on confirms this. It works on resistance in the circuit. It's checked with an ohm meter.

Bike will not start.... How about the run/stop switch?, maybe you pulled off a wire and don't know it?

The check engine light coming on means your bike has recorded a trouble code, look here for details https://www.hdforums.com/m_43975/tm.htm

To depressurize the fuel line to remove , pull the FI fuse and crank the motor, that will remove the pressure so you don't get a bath[:@]
The line is a quick disco.

The trap door can be removed with SOME fuel in the tank, while you have it off clean out the tank also You MUST replace the gasket AND screws on it when you put it back together

Make sure to get the manual, it'll save you a lot of $$$ in the future.

Good luck!

Old 08-07-2005, 08:18 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

And welcome to the forum!

Old 08-07-2005, 09:43 PM
shineybike
Road Captain

Thanks for the info on tank removal. I have a feeling you're right about the float. I solved the fuel pump problem.
Should have checked this first.....one of the pins in the connector was bent down and not making a contact.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:28 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

how about pics of that puppy!!

Old 08-11-2005, 01:24 AM
setterman
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my 2005 springer classic. Harley shop told me the float sticks if you fill the gas tank all the way up. I asked what do I have to guess how much gas to put in the tank. I don't think so, not on a new bike. I called Harley customer service, they called the shop and told them how to fix the problem. Its fixed now. Also had the same problem with mine not starting when harley put on the old style air cleaner and slip on mufflers they added a DFO unit on the bike some how the thing fried the brain on the bike. They removed the DFO and did the download at 1/3rd the cost and it seems to be working now. I don't know if you have a DFO on yours or not. Anyway I'm not impressed with the new Harleys. I have a 57 panhead and a 71 night-train I thought I would buy a new one to get a little more dependability hasn't worked that way so far.

Good Luck with yours
Ride Safe

Old 08-11-2005, 01:57 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

That dealer must be a ditz if he fried the ecm with a dfo hookup, you might want to find a more confident dealer in the future.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:07 PM
shineybike
Road Captain

Just a followup. My dealer informed me that the fuel gauge floats on 2004 softails will catch on the side of the tank. They removed the gauge, tweaked the float bar and ground a plastic nub off the float. No charge to me and it's been working fine since. somehting to check in to if you are hav8ing the same problem.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:13 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Great to hear you're squared away now. Nice whan a dealer treats you right and also fixes the problem to boot.