Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wild 1 Chubby 12" Outlawz Installation

Old 09-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job man! I am stoked for you and good for you for pushing yourself in regards to what you thought you were capable of handling mechanical wise.
Bike looks killer - and an official welcome to the Outlawz club lol
(I know you love that front fender but I stil think it looked better without )

Now go ride the chit outa that sled and then tonight celebrate with a few well deserved beers (I know I'm gonna drink some for ya lol)

Old 09-13-2012, 06:30 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Midgard
Good job man! I am stoked for you and good for you for pushing yourself in regards to what you thought you were capable of handling mechanical wise.
Bike looks killer - and an official welcome to the Outlawz club lol
(I know you love that front fender but I stil think it looked better without )

Now go ride the chit outa that sled and then tonight celebrate with a few well deserved beers (I know I'm gonna drink some for ya lol)
Hahahahahaha thanks man!

Old 09-13-2012, 06:46 PM
txphatboy
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

Good job - bike looks real nice with new bars - apes really change the look! I have changed bars several times, but finally ordered some apes and can't wait to get them on bike. Bars were delivered last week, but they were not the right ones so I have to wait another week for bars to get fabbed and chromed.

Last edited by txphatboy; 09-13-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:01 PM
06fxsti
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks killer great job

Old 09-13-2012, 07:43 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Thanks everyone!

How do I know if I bled my brakes successfully? As long as the lever is firm? It goes about halfway back to the grip when I squeeze it and the brakes work.... just don't want any surprises. Lol

Old 09-13-2012, 08:15 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1st off congrats good job u done good,changes the whole look
a new betterer look LOL nice choice,, i see you also pushed em up a ;little exellent
how do ya know if ya bled em right?
i did mine 2x and got all air out then you know when you know kinda feel you know? LOL

go down the block and just use front brake should stop real good almost pushin you up a little remember how it used to stop? u=you;ll know if there squishy

APES

Old 09-13-2012, 08:41 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by m i k e
1st off congrats good job u done good,changes the whole look
a new betterer look LOL nice choice,, i see you also pushed em up a ;little exellent
how do ya know if ya bled em right?
i did mine 2x and got all air out then you know when you know kinda feel you know? LOL

go down the block and just use front brake should stop real good almost pushin you up a little remember how it used to stop? u=you;ll know if there squishy

APES

Lol yea, they don't feel squishy and when I drove it they worked well. I did the last part about 5 extra times with squeezing the lever 4-5 times (and saw the brake fluid bubbling in the MC), then held it while I opened the bleeder valve and no air came out of the bleeder valve, it was solid fluid. I did that at least 5 times and was solid every time so I think I got all the air out. I was just hoping there was a sure fire way to know without crashing. Lol

Yea, I rolled them apes forward....not as far as my other ones though because the pull back is different....but must more comfortable hand placement. They are also at least 2" taller because my hands are higher than they were. Can't wait to ride this weekend!

Old 09-13-2012, 09:56 PM
rockinred
Road Captain

Looks good. It is unlikely that they will just fail if not properly bled. If you have that much tightness now, it would just start getting real mushy first.

Here is a trick I learned on these forums from other mechanics. Leave the bike in parked position and tie the brake to the grip overnight. This allows any air bubbles to come up due to gravity. I did it and the next morning it was even more tight with good pressure. With ape bars it really elevates pretty high so I know it worked for mine.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:30 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rockinred
Looks good. It is unlikely that they will just fail if not properly bled. If you have that much tightness now, it would just start getting real mushy first.

Here is a trick I learned on these forums from other mechanics. Leave the bike in parked position and tie the brake to the grip overnight. This allows any air bubbles to come up due to gravity. I did it and the next morning it was even more tight with good pressure. With ape bars it really elevates pretty high so I know it worked for mine.
So you tie the brake lever to the grip and leave the MC cover on and the bleeder valve closed? Where does the air escape? Or do you open the bleeder valve in the morning and then close it before releasing the lever?

Old 09-13-2012, 10:40 PM
rockinred
Road Captain

That's what I did.

Air gravitates up into the MC as a bubble. If you have enough air I suppose you would want to look in MC and pop them. I didn't do that though. Probably only had minimal.

No opening bleeder valve in morning. Just untie and try squeeze again and it might be tighter.

when you squeeze lever it opens up the MC and air finds it's way up and out the resevoir if there is only little air bubbles. Not sure if there are a lot on how much will air out. Just leave on as long as you can overnight. See how it goes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wild 1 Chubby 12" Outlawz Installation