Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wild 1 Chubby 12" Outlawz Installation

Old 09-03-2012, 09:02 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sixshooter
Your stock cables will reach 12" apes??? I put 12" apes on mine and my stock cables were nowhere even close to reaching. Lucky for me a complete set of diamondback cables came with my wild1's, because I was not looking forward to spending another 300 bucks.
What handlebars came on your bike stock?

Mine came with stock mini apes and they measure about 12" (maybe 11"...hard to tell exactly) and they are on 1" risers. So my thought was that I could go with the 12" Wild 1 Outlawz and be able to use my stock wiring... that size was comfortable to me on my stocks but I like the way the Outlawz look better and I wanted the wiring internal.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:04 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
I went with the chromite lines from magnum shielding when I put 16" gangster apes on my 08 heritage. I ended up going +8" on everything and it worked out great, the clutch and throttle are real smooth way better than my stock HD lines and they look awesome. When I did my sporty I went with 14" Burly narrow apes and their 14" cable kit. The Burly cable kit is great and I am not trying to knock their product in anyway but I did notice a differance in how smooth the opperation was. I am sure there are many other variables as well as the lines. The Burly cables are all black and while they work on my sporty since it is satin black to begin with I gotta say the chrome lines on the heritage just have a lot more of a finished look to them.
Cool. From the looks of the Magnum Shielding website, those Chromite cables do look nice. That's probably the route I will take if my cables are too short for the new bars. Once I know if the switch housing cables will work, that should tell me whether the stock throttle/idle, brake and clutch cables will work also.

If not, looks like I will be buying cables from Magnum Shielding. If anyone knows of any other lines (other than the HD ones), please let me know.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:12 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoticov
What handlebars came on your bike stock?

Mine came with stock mini apes and they measure about 12" (maybe 11"...hard to tell exactly) and they are on 1" risers. So my thought was that I could go with the 12" Wild 1 Outlawz and be able to use my stock wiring... that size was comfortable to me on my stocks but I like the way the Outlawz look better and I wanted the wiring internal.
Not sure on exact size, I wanna say my stock risers were 6" and the bars were another 4" rise?? I've got 1.5" risers with my 12" apes now. If your bars are that close to your stockers tho, you should be fine.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:20 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Be careful with that front master cylinder. If you don't keep it level it can leak and will soak through the towels and ruin your paint.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by sixshooter
Not sure on exact size, I wanna say my stock risers were 6" and the bars were another 4" rise?? I've got 1.5" risers with my 12" apes now. If your bars are that close to your stockers tho, you should be fine.
I hope so! Lol I guess we will see soon. :::: fingers crossed ::::

Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rooti
Be careful with that front master cylinder. If you don't keep it level it can leak and will soak through the towels and ruin your paint.
Oh crap... thanks for the heads up! O was going to move that off the tank but I forgot. I didn't realize it could leak though.... YIKES! That would be a disaster!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:38 PM
FXBadass
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your stock cables will likely work on a +2 setup w/o needing to replace them. Your stock bars are 10". I added a +2 riser on a nightster last week and everything reached just fine. Good luck with your project, the bike looks great!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FXBadass
Your stock cables will likely work on a +2 setup w/o needing to replace them. Your stock bars are 10". I added a +2 riser on a nightster last week and everything reached just fine. Good luck with your project, the bike looks great!
Thanks...that makes me feel better. I did find a site ( Side Road Cycles maybe?) that said my stock bars were 10" so I'm glad I am going up a few inches in height.

Now if the bars would just get here!

Old 09-06-2012, 10:16 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Question

Got the bars in today but of course, nothing can go smooth.

I was able to use feed the wires through the bars, even keeping the stock tubing on them. It was tight but with a little WD40, they finally came through. Also, good news is all my switch housing wires are reaching just fine. But...

Went to put on the bars and what do ya know? My risers won't fit the handlebars. The middle part of the handlebars measures in a 5-1/8". The measurement on the outside of my risers is 5-3/16"... it's off my 1/16".

When I called Wild 1 to order these bars, they said they would fit my stock risers and everything should fit perfect.

Not sure what I do now other than call Wild 1 or get new risers... anyone have any tips? Other than this, I LOVE the way the bars look!

Here are a few pics:

Old 09-06-2012, 10:38 PM
FXBadass
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bolt your stock bars, then loosen your lower riser bolts. You should be able to gain that 1/16" no problem. Re-tighten your riser bolts after torquing your clamp bolts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wild 1 Chubby 12" Outlawz Installation